Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last gig you saw, As it says on the tin
The Phantom
post Feb 7 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #421

Three Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,249

Electric Eel Shock - Camden Underworld, last Wednesday. Fappin ace they were.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post Feb 8 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #422

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

I went to see the Infadels at Birmingham Barfly. I got very wasted. But I think they were good.

+Quote Post
Verstan
post Feb 8 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #423

Two Pinter

Member No.: 4,901

InMe at newcaslte acadamy was awesome

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Feb 9 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #424

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

Clearlake at Camden Barfly last night. I enjoyed this, having not been to a small, dingy venue like Barfly in some time. I'd not heard the new album and irritatingly, it was hard to judge the new material that well as the sound wasn't great and even songs I did now sounded messier than they ought to. I prefer the more mature-sounding second album (Cedars) to the first (Lido), and from what was played last night, it sounds like they've progressed even further in the 'rock' vein with Amber.

Despite an average name and some unattractive merchandise, Canadian support band The Waking Eyes were also a lot of fun. Wonderfully tight on the instruments, the two guitarists and bassist also had some wonderful harmonies going which Jessop likened to a barbershop quartet at one point - not quite what you'd expect from a punky rock band.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 9 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #425

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

Clearlake @ Barfly (as above)

I'd heard good things, if not any music, so I was looking forward to an edgy Coldplay. It wasn't quite that - during their rockier moments I was reminded of Placebo, and in the quiter sections they were Athlete meets Radiohead. Overall, it was enjoyable, but I'll have to listen to the studio albums to decide whether I actually like them or not.

And indeed, The Waking Eyes were very entertaining, with tons of influences including Led Zep, Yes, Pink Floyd, and Seattle grunge.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Feb 9 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #426

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (The Phantom @ Feb 7 2006, 05:22 PM)
Electric Eel Shock - Camden Underworld, last Wednesday.  Fappin ace they were.

They were truly amazing, weren't they? I had such an unbelievably good time. It's just nice to see a rock band having a good time, not one of those mopey, depressed lot and ones trying to look cool.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 9 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #427

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Feb 9 2006, 11:43 AM)
They were truly amazing, weren't they? I had such an unbelievably good time. It's just nice to see a rock band having a good time, not one of those mopey, depressed lot and ones trying to look cool.

Some serious let downage by friends meant I missed this. Bollocks mad.gif

+Quote Post
chadbeserk
post Feb 9 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #428

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 4,800

Haven't been to a gig in ages. I went through a phase about a year ago where I was always going to one but I haven't had a chance recently. Last gig I think, was Juliette Lewis. It was on their first UK tour. She was great. The band were shit. And the crowd weren't much better. Full of tall, skinny lads with side parts, striped t-shirts and neckchiefs like they're pirates or a midnight runner...Except for that hot, older woman who advised me that she wanted to fuck the shit out of me. She didn't because I ran away. The gig before that was Mighty, Mighty Bosstones. I didn't enjoy it that much because I got into a fight with some guy who punched a pregnant woman. It was all very necessary.

I think I'm going to see Henry Rollins' spoken word gig in March but I'm not too sure yet.

+Quote Post
Poppa Burgundy
post Feb 9 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #429

Nathan Wind as Cochese

Member No.: 3,843

I saw the Strokes in Nottingham about a week ago and it was a bit naf, certainly not worth 26. Arena gigs are always a little bit smelly an i had seated tickets. The band were also quite static, i may as well have watched a dvd

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 10 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #430

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Belle and Sebastian at the Octagon in Sheffield

I have now been to three gigs at the Octagon and I have decided that it is a terrible venue; the acoustics are terrible, it feels quite unfriendly (although that's mainly because I have exams there) and it is immensely difficult to create a good atmosphere.

The two bands on last night though did a great job of fighting this disadvantages. Brakes were bloody loud and played a lot of very short songs, my personal favourite being 'Tuning', which was 12 seconds of noise and the word 'Tuning' screamed whilst one of the guitarists had to retune. Brilliantly weird and they managed to get the crowd really ready for the main event.

Belle and Sebastian were really quite superb, they played a good deal of material from current album The Life Pursuit but sprinkled the set with some of their illustrious back catalogue including 'Get Me Away From Here' and 'I'm A Cuckoo'.

The between songs banter was brilliant as well, with Stuart Murdoch singling out a member of the audience for thumb-sucking, and talking about how he had taken some cough medicine beforehand and how 'Everything is going so slow. Are you all moving at normal speed or is this something that you decided to do earlier?'. The only downside was that they didn't play 'Boy With The Arab Strap'.

Top notch. There was a great deal of head nodding, occasional foot-tapping and there was even an incident of gentle swaying.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Feb 11 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #431

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

QUOTE (maian @ Feb 10 2006, 11:44 AM)
Belle and Sebastian at the Octagon in Sheffield

Saw Belle and Sebastian at the Hammersmith Apollo last night. They were brain-achingly good, really enjoying their live set and playing all manenr of quality tunes. Murdoch was charasmatic as ever, borrowing a kazoo that a lady had brought with her and playing it for a bit. Great 2-hour set, big mix of old and new, and the only problem from me is that they didn't play a couple of my favourite songs - Stay Loose and Wrapped Up In Books. but you ca't everything, and they had just about everything else. Superb.

Their 2 supports, Go-Kart Mozart and Brakes, however, both sucked the holy ass. GKM were static scenesters with no character, and Brakes were like a shockingly bad Pixies/Violet Femmes crossover, playing fast, loud, crappy music, with only 2 songs lasting over 2 minutes. Pretentious shee-it.

B&S were marvellous though, so all sins are forgiven. Their encore of Sleep the Clock Around was symphonic genius, and overall the show was a showcase of awesome talent and fantastic music. Loved 'em.

support - 2 H
Belle and Sebastian - 9 H

+Quote Post
Acidboy
post Feb 15 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #432

Three Pinter

Member No.: 4,928

Motorhead at bristol colston hall. Supported by girl school and in flames. Was a gooood night. My ears are still ringing

It was 3 months ago...

...Notreally but it was fudging loud

+Quote Post
Shack
post Feb 16 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #433

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

Brakes take a bit of a listen to get into them Hobbes-o. I think they're dead good.

Last night I went to The Faversham in Leeds to see The Research (who could be Top 40 this Sunday pop pickers). Ably supported by The Lodger but no so ably supported by The Pistolas, The Research were a kicking beeping bundle of fun.

Go see. They're from Wakefield you know.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 16 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #434

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

What is it with all the 'The' bands?

+Quote Post
ipse dixit