Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last gig you saw, As it says on the tin
Sostie
post Mar 19 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #661

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Mar 19 2007, 05:01 PM)
I'm so glad you said that. I heard their session on Zane Lowe a few weeks ago and was helpless with laughter for most of it. The bands that play down my local sound less amateurish than Enter Shikari.

They're one of the funniest things I've heard since System Of A Down.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rua
post Mar 29 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #662

Death of The Party

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,801

Iain Archer

Northern Irelands heaviest drinking Christian & lesser known song writing force behind Snow Patrol's Final Straw success.

I quite like Iain Archer, though due to his Snow Patrol connections it's not very cool to. Treated to mainly new tracks from his album Magnetic North this was a very sit down, relax & enjoy kind of affair with more mellow tracks than upbeat ones.

His new backing rhythm section were excellent accompaniment, but Iain really is at his best when it's just him & a guitar. Nice gig, nice evening.

And So I Watch You From Afar

A pulsating gig to coincide with the launch of their new E.P. This is Our Machine and Nothing Can Stop It. Fast becoming one of the most popular new bands on the bar/club scene in Northern Ireland more to their surprise rather than anyone elses.

I really do hope these boys pack they're collective Instrumental Art Rock bags & tour across the water soon as I know they'll create a momentum. Touches of Mogwai, My Vitriol, Arcade Fire & even Smashing Pumpkins permeate here & there through a layer of melodic guitar riffs, effects, driving bass & crashing drums.

Epic soundtrack music.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Mar 29 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #663

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (Rua @ Mar 29 2007, 12:08 PM)
they're

Jesus.

their

+Quote Post
Shack
post Mar 30 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #664

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

The Young Knives - Leeds Met

Apparently their last tour for the current but by crikey they are a top band.

Having never seen what they looked like, they came on stage and had a kind of cheeky young uncle vibe about them, but the singer was amazing. The bassist was dressed as Ronnie Barker from a sketch in the Two Ronnies where he played a waiter and it was just top.

Go see them if you can.

The only downside was halfway through two dickheads stood behind me and starting saying how they'd improve the songs and that while their "middle England vibe was good, it would mean they would never be big". One of them even said "I should be a record producer". Twats.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 1 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #665

Live And Let Pie

The Rakes - Broxton Academy

Not knowing much about the Rakes or the venue didn't stop me really enjoying the live set they did. There was plenty of Jarvis-esque dancing and some very good tunes. I'm putting their new album on my i-Pod as I type.

Super duper. Go see them.

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Apr 1 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #666

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

Cherry Ghost
The Earlies
Stephen Fretwell
Karima Francis
Denis Jones
Liz Green

Next week:
The KBC

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Apr 3 2007, 03:48 AM
Post #667

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

Saw Cornelius in Osaka on Sunday night.

I had been a little hesitant about it because it was very much billed as The Cornelius Group Sensuous Synchronized Show and was expecting it to be all taken from his most recent album, when I much prefer his earlier work. However, it was a healthy mix of tunes from all his albums and seeing them all being performed live (even the ones from Sensuous) made me rethink just how intricate and clever they are, flitting from funk to rock to ambient experimental jazz. Plus, as you might expect, it was visually stimulating, with plenty of dazzling lights and his excellent promos playing in the background. My highlights were I Hate Hate, Count Five or Six (as seen on the Spaced soundtrack), Gum, Omstart and Tone Twilight Zone. Cornelius is something of a reluctant performer, so it was nice to see him enjoy himself more as the gig went on, at one point inviting a crowd member on stage for a theremin solo and then handing out his scrambly mixbox to the audience to fiddle with during the encore. Other than that, there was little audience interaction or even a break between songs; the empty space being filled by the chimes each member of the band had to dingle at leisure. But it was certainly worth going for a night of music like no other.

I think he's soon heading to the US and there may be some European dates too. The album Sensuous has just been released in the UK.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Apr 3 2007, 08:56 AM
Post #668

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

KateGoes at the Jug of Ale in Mosely. Great gig as always although the sound was a bit rubbish until they managed to sort it all out. Lot of static and feeback. Once they got into it though it was a brilliant assualt on the senses.

The use of bizzare costumes combined with stage decorations, all in the style of Alice in Wonderland, as well as footage from numerous film versions of the story being projected on the back of the stage added a new and enjoyable element to the usual happy bouncy tracks and the quieter more thoughtful tunes. As always it was over too quickly but they did play an encore with some new material, some inspired by Alice in Wonderland itself. All in all a brilliant band, and it is clear to see why they were the ideal supporting choice for Misty's Big Adventure but they put on a great show all on their own. Highly recommended.

+Quote Post
Dorf
post Apr 3 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #669

Hey-O Hey-O

Member No.: 2,356

QUOTE (Shack @ Mar 30 2007, 07:48 AM)
The Young Knives - Leeds Met
Stuff

Ooh, I'm going to see these on Friday. Had never heard of them but a friend from University rang me up in February and invited me and after a quick youtube 'Do they suck' test I agreed.

Good to know they will put on a good show, I'm looking forward to it now (well I was already, but I still am).

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 3 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #670

Live And Let Pie

QUOTE (Dorf @ Apr 3 2007, 09:02 AM)
Ooh, I'm going to see these on Friday. Had never heard of them but a friend from University rang me up in February and invited me and after a quick youtube 'Do they suck' test I agreed.

Good to know they will put on a good show, I'm looking forward to it now (well I was already, but I still am).

Ooooh back atcher. I think you'll really like them. I hope the bassist dresses as Ronnie Barker again.

Keep an ear out for 'Part-timer' and 'She's attracted to' - those are my personal favourites.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 3 2007, 09:11 AM
Post #671

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Shack @ Apr 3 2007, 10:09 AM)
Ooooh back atcher. I think you'll really like them. I hope the bassist dresses as Ronnie Barker again.

House Of Lords is one of the funniest blokes I've ever met. He also owns some high quality tweed suits.

+Quote Post
Heff
post Apr 5 2007, 05:57 AM
Post #672

Bloody Hell

Member No.: 6,009

QUOTE (Shack @ Apr 3 2007, 07:09 PM)

Keep an ear out for 'Part-timer' and 'She's attracted to' - those are my personal favourites.

She's Attracted To has been picked up by an Aussie radio station, and I grin like a moron when they play it.

they said I was a terrorist!

gold

This post has been edited by Heff: Apr 5 2007, 05:57 AM

+Quote Post
Dorf
post Apr 10 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #673

Hey-O Hey-O

The Young Knives - Pyramids, Portsmouth

Got there a bit late having been caught up in a three way pool duel in the meeting pub beforehand (read, we're all poo, it wast he battle for the least poo) and only caught the last support band, Blood Red Shoes or something to that effect, not particularly inventive or varied stuff but they had a good go.

Young Knives were on top form, and had some amusing banter with some guys up the front which the lead singer (I'm rubbish with names) decided looked "hard" and tried to pursuade them to batter the bassist.

Anyway, I really enjoyed myself and they were cracking, highlights for me were 'Here comes the rumour mill' and 'The Decision'.

Unfortunatly afterwards we all decided to go to a place that used to be interesting, and has now not only got a playlist that could be titled "Now that's what I call Indie 2006", but also had really dodgy Fosters leaving me less than energetic for the rest of the weekend.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 10 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #674

Live And Let Pie

Glad you liked them Dorf.

Whenever I sort of recommend a band I get a bit worried people will think they're shit, which is obviously an affront to my musical taste.

+Quote Post
Dorf
post Apr 10 2007, 02:05 PM
Post #675

Hey-O Hey-O

Did you guys have the same support acts? The boy and girl combo mentioned it being thier last night with the Knives so I figured you probably did.

+Quote Post

70 Pages V  « < 43 44 45 46 47 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:56 PM