Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last gig you saw, As it says on the tin
Kick in the Head
post Jun 18 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #691

Cent Dix-Sept

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,258

Wish I'd been there...but my brother went, so I can get genetic attendance points!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Jun 20 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #692

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza

Member No.: 3,821

Just got back from a short break in Dublin, where we saw the always entertaining Macy Gray.
Of all the gigs I've ever been to, I don't think I've enjoyed myself as much as that one - the woman is incredible live. Even the songs off of her new Big album (an album I'm not really that keen on, not compared to her other stuff anyway) was fantastic live.
We came away from the gig with big silly grins on our faces, and a feel-good euphoria washing over us, and stepped over the blood and passed out drunks that littered the late night streets of Dublin with a spring in our steps.
And [i]that[i] is the yardstick by which I measure how good a gig was.

That and the fact that I danced.
And I don't ever dance.
Not even if a cowboy shoots at my motionless feet and screams 'Dance!'. I just take the pain and deal with it.

+Quote Post
stinketta
post Jun 20 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #693

Addict

Member No.: 4,017

Yay, Henry.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 20 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #694

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Grinderman at the Kentish Town Forum

No poncey light show or visuals. Just 4 men, 2 big beards and a besuited 50 year old with receeding hairline and huge tache churning out high class rock & roll. Nick Cave with a guitar is both a strange and exciting sight. Top gig.

+Quote Post
logger
post Jun 21 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #695

Guests

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jun 20 2007, 05:04 PM)
That and the fact that I danced.
And I don't ever dance.
Not even if a cowboy shoots at my motionless feet and screams 'Dance!'. I just take the pain and deal with it.

You've gotta dance though. Otherwise what's the point of living.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 23 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #696

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Just got back from seeing the almighty Jesus & Mary Chain at the Royal Festival Hall. They were phenomenal. A package of classics performed by legends...couldn't really ask for more. Great venue too.

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Jun 24 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #697

The Tea and Coffee making facilities left a lot to be desired.

Member No.: 5,987

Manic St Preachers in Bristol - Brilliant

Muse at Wembley - Not brilliant at all.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jun 29 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #698

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

On Monday I went to see James at a secret gig. It was probably the greatest (non-bowie) gig I've ever been to.
Only 249 people, and me, and the band. .... and I was this close to them! *holds hands less than 2 metres apart*
They played all their best songs & a couple of new ones. The music was beautiful, & Tim was well on form. The sound those guys came out with that evening couldn't've been bettered... not even in a studio. ... & the room itself was pretty small.
It was inspirational. I think I want to be a singer now. .... smile.gif I guess I'll just give up on the drums & guitar & sort my voice out.

Good stuff.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Jun 29 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #699

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

The Who- Wembley Arena

And bloody hell, what a show! Added to the fact that the ticket's were free they were absolutely quality. For bloke's with bus passes, Daltrey has a ridiculously toned stomach leading to a Ryan Reynolds in Blade style reveal when his shirt came open, and Townsend was jumping around and doing playing solo's like no guitarist I've ever seen before. To watch him play was an absolute joy and made me want to pull my finger out when it comes to learning to play guitar myself.

And Baba O'Reiley, live, with an amazing light show gave me goosebumps and shivers right the way through. Fantastic stuff.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Jul 2 2007, 04:08 AM
Post #700

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Caught Bob Dylan tonight, at the local fairgrounds -- the fair's still nearly two months away, but it makes a decent outdoor concert venue.

I was a very lucky fellow, for my seat, in the second row of the grandstand, was deemed to be in an "obstructed zone," and, indeed, I couldn't see half the stage, thanks to the sound tent. Because I was alone in my row, and the rest of my group had seats that were not in the obstructed zone, the ushers authorized me to reseat myself in my choice of reserved sections. In the end, I moved from the grandstand to the center of the sixth row back from the stage, without having to pay the extra charge for a floor seat.

He was in fine form, let me tell you. No one rasps with anywhere near as much nuance. Played plenty of old songs, and plenty of newer ones, and for the most part dropped the folk balladry in favour of straight-ahead blues-rock. At times it was almost country-tinged, with pedal steel and fiddle prominent throughout, at least compared to the harmonica, which only made one appearance...

Bob only played the first four or so tunes on his guitar, unfortunately, spending the rest of the night behind the keyboard with a half-baked Hammond patch. I don't think he ever touched the steel guitar that was in front of the keyboard stand.

It's amazing how vital this guy is, and how dynamic a performer he is, even after more than four decades of touring and recording.

The opening act was Jimmie Vaughan, Stevie Ray's older brother and founding member of The Fabulous Thunderbirds, who charted back in the mid-80s with "Tuff Enuff." Not bad at all; plenty of fiery, soulful Texas blues guitar licks, though the vocals were rather lackluster. It made me want some barbecued ribs...

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jul 4 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #701

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Guitar Wolf - London
Tonight had a lot to live up to. The last time I saw them it was one of the greatest gigs I have ever seen (out of a total that is into 4 figures). Tonight came close.

Possibly the greatest (live) Rock'n'Roll act on the planet, for many reasons including

- they look cool. 3 Japanese guys, tattoos, shades, biker jackets and leather trousers

- no gaps between songs...only a Ramones style 1-2-3-4

- they always drag a member of the audience on the stage to become the guitarist for one number...tonights choice was pretty good. This gave the lead singer/guitarist Guitar Wolf (each member is named after the instrument they play) to show off his bad nunchuck skills. There is also a ceremonial presentation of plectrum to audience member before he plays

- Guitar Wolf (the man) did the whole show in his leathers and shades. I was in a t-shirt and the heat was near enough unbearable. Bass Wolf let the side down a bit. He took his jacket off, but then he is new

- Drum Wolf stopped playing during a number, continuing to play only the kick drum, so he could comb back his greased back hair Danny Zuko style.

- Guitar Wolf (the man) showed that playing the guitar in the audience is cool...but playing on the bar is cooler.

- Getting the audience to join you on the stage during your set is not original. Getting them to form a human pyramid so you can stand at the top and sing is.

- and then there is the music. Loud, fast, fun, grimey rock'n'roll/punk. Just as it should be.

They may be cliched, but then to be the best band of this kind you have to enter the realm of cliche. If you like good old fashioned rock'n'roll entertainment you have to see Guitar Wolf. In fact if you like seeing a live band that just knocks you flat with their pure brilliance and entertainment see them.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jul 6 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #702

Cent Dix-Sept

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 4 2007, 09:04 AM)
Guitar Wolf - London

Sounds brilliant. Shame I haven't had a chance to see them in Japan. Which venue were they playing at? Electric Eel Shock at The Underworld last year was similarly fantastic Japanese rock and roll and just as hectic from the sounds of things.

This post has been edited by Kick in the Head: Jul 6 2007, 08:12 AM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jul 6 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #703

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 6 2007, 08:11 AM)
Sounds brilliant. Shame I haven't had a chance to see them in Japan. Which venue were they playing at? Electric Eel Shock at The Underworld last year was similarly fantastic Japanese rock and roll and just as hectic from the sounds of things.

It was in a smallish bar/venue called 93 Feet East in Brick Lane. Snug but not uncomfortable. I'm actually very surprised at the size of the venue they did play as they are a big word-of-mouth band

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jul 6 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #704

Cent Dix-Sept

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 6 2007, 06:42 PM)
It was in a smallish bar/venue called 93 Feet East in Brick Lane.  Snug but not uncomfortable.  I'm actually very surprised at the size of the venue they did play as they are a big word-of-mouth band

Saw Polysics there last year in fact. Thought it was a rather nice, if, as you say, smallish, venue, but surprised they'd allow such a crazy act to play with the bar in such proximity to the inevitable moshing frenzy. No surprise Guitar Wolf saw it as a mere extension of the main stage...

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jul 6 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #705

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 6 2007, 09:46 AM)
Saw Polysics there last year in fact. Thought it was a rather nice, if, as you say, smallish, venue, but surprised they'd allow such a crazy act to play with the bar in such proximity to the inevitable moshing frenzy. No surprise Guitar Wolf saw it as a mere extension of the main stage...

I'm sure I'll visit there again. The promoters Not The Same Old Blues Crap are using it as a regular venue (Guitar Wolf was their first night there) for their rockabilly/garage nights...and they have a DJ that plays loads of The Cramps. It could be my new home from home.

+Quote Post

70 Pages V  « < 45 46 47 48 49 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:04 AM