Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Miss Shazam
post Feb 6 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #782

Those bastards never gave me no clay.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,395

A girl in my tutor is going to see Robots in the Sky tonight, some electro band I think, it's not my thing, but one of the girls is Noel Fielding's girlfriend, and she's all gooey over him (I'm not on to talk though...). Seriously disapointed about the money in my house, the lack of it to be specific.

AMY XXX biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Feb 6 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #783

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

They're called 'Robots in Disguise'.

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Feb 6 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #784

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

Went to stay at a mate's in Sheffield last night and went to see the Dropkick Murphy's and Mad Caddies at the Leadmill.
An awesome bouncy ska-tastic nite was had by all.
Then we went to a drum n' bass night where Goldie turned out to be DJing. Odd but fun.

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Feb 7 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #785

The Tea and Coffee making facilities left a lot to be desired.

Member No.: 5,987

Kula Shaker - Exeter Lemmy. Holy crap. That was some smoking rock n' roll right there.

A. MA. ZING.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Feb 9 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #786

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

The Cribs - Ignore the fact they're currently sponsored by the NME & enjoy one of the best acts around. I ferverently urge people to go & see these guys live. Very good.

Queens Of The Stone Age - The Kings Hall has to be one of the worst venues for sound on this island, despite that the Josh Homme show rattled out loud & proud. Decent. Plus Bronagh got to meet him back stage which was a bonus. Though I don't believe she didn't sleep with him.

Athlete - If Bronagh hadn't been put on the guest list I wouldn't have went, which would've been a shame as they were rather good, what I can remember anyway. It was a little hazy.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Feb 10 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #787

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

April Wine wasn't too bad at all. For a bunch of guys who are at least as old of my parents, if not older (the drummer is 68), they laid down some smoking riffs and churned out a good couple of hours of bluesy hard rock and hokey balladry. There was even room for a 10-minute drum solo!

The audience, though, geez... I was one of only a dozen or so who appeared to be under 40. Otherwise, it was wall-to-wall 50ish women and their mulleted, mustachioed NASCAR-dad companions.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Feb 10 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #788

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

Polysics last night at Islington Academy. Having seen them twice in Japan, and now twice in the UK, I have to say I prefer it when they're in front of a home crowd. Obviously, there's a bit more banter and audience interaction (the gulf between audience and stage didn't help matters last night), but also you got two whole hours with no support bands, and a more varied setlist. Last night pulled mainly from back catalogue represented on their Polysics or Die best of and Now is the Time (and not necessarily the best tracks from either) - with only a couple of tracks from their latest Karate House and a couple new singles. Still, incredible fun and a wildly energetic performance. But a teensy bit lacking based on past performances.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Feb 12 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #789

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

Smashing Pumpkins - Well, half of them anyway & they certainly made better use of the poor venue that is the King's Hall soundwise than QOTSA did. A rather slow self indulgent set (to be expected) punctuated with some of the better tunes from Siamese Dream & Mellon Collie. Corgan surprised me with having a rather deceptively powerful singing voice, having hidden it behind that nasel whine of his for so many years. Jimmy Chamberlin is still an awesome drummer, even when it looks like he isn't trying. I enjoyed this gig, though I was lucky enough not to have had to pay the rather high ticket price.

QUOTE (witch_hazel @ Feb 6 2008, 08:14 AM)
daniel johnston
just now

Ohh. Any good?

This post has been edited by Rua: Feb 12 2008, 10:32 AM

+Quote Post
sleeping_pirate
post Feb 13 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #790

If I was young, I'd flee this town

Member No.: 3,052

QOTSA last night. Despite being stuck in seating I had such a fantastic time, they really know how to work the crowd. And Josh Homme is a sexy bitch, which always helps.

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Feb 14 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #791

Went to see Black Francis on Tues night. Frank Black was as cool and intense as ever, and his free outdoor acoustic set earlier in the evening was excellent. The only disappointing thing was he didn't play much older stuff. Mainly his latest album and his upcoming one. Excellently done though as ever! Threshold Apprehension is an awesome live track!

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 14 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #792

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (melzilla @ Feb 14 2008, 06:20 PM)
Went to see Black Francis on Tues night. Frank Black was as cool and intense as ever, and his free outdoor acoustic set earlier in the evening was excellent. The only disappointing thing was he didn't play much older stuff. Mainly his latest album and his upcoming one. Excellently done though as ever! Threshold Apprehension is an awesome live track!

I'm jealous.

He's never really going to satisfy the whole audience with what he choses to play (unless all he does is Pixies songs), he has such a large back catalogue. I was shocked when I counted that I have 10 CDs by him since the Pixies split and I know that isn't even all of them!

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Feb 14 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #793

QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 14 2008, 06:26 PM)
I'm jealous.

He's never really going to satisfy the whole audience with what he choses to play (unless all he does is Pixies songs), he has such a large back catalogue.  I was shocked when I counted that I have 10 CDs by him since the Pixies split and I know that isn't even all of them!

Yes he is rather prolific! Would have been nice to hear a bit of Catholics stuff but as his current set up is just a 3 piece band rather than five I soon realised he'd be unlikely to do much of that. Was still excellent though and he played a couple of Pixies songs just on his acoustic which was nice!

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 15 2008, 01:50 AM
Post #794

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

The Godfathers at Kentish Town Forum
This is one of my favourite bands ever - there are few I have seen more times (about 30+ times now I think). They are also a very strange band. Top 40 success in the USA, loads of college play, huge in Europe, never failed to get single of the week in the music press, a reputation for being one of the best live bands in the country, third billing at Reading (above Blur and Nirvana) and yet, despite sell out shows in sizeable venues throughout their career, the public and press seemed to have forgotten them.

Part of the reason may be they were kind of at the wrong place at the wrong time. A bunch of suited and booted musicians churning out 1st rate garage punk wasn't easy to sell in the late 80's/early 90's. They were ten years ahead ( and 20 behind) the times.

Tonight they reformed with the original line-up to perform at what used to be their traditional St Valentines Day Massacre. It used to be an annual affair that started out in venues like the London Dungeon and peaked at the Brixton Academy. This was the first in nearly a decade, and such is their popularity that fans had flown in from Europe, USA and Australia for the show.

Walking on stage to the theme from The Pursuaders, they still look pretty good for their age (well into their 40's) and had more talent and energy than many younger bands I have seen over recent years.

Tonight was a "Best of" package of tunes finishing with a pretty amazing cover of Anarchy In The Uk and a cover of Blitzkrieg Bop which was better than any version I have seen The Ramones perform live. There was even fistcuffs - some arse threw a beer at the guitarist so he jumped into the crowd and lamped the bloke who did it.

As expected, fantastic gig. Shame my idiot friend got kicked out of the venue after 15 minutes into the set for having a sneaky cigarette in the toilets.

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Feb 15 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #795

QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 15 2008, 01:50 AM)
The Godfathers at Kentish Town Forum
This is one of my favourite bands ever - there are few I have seen more times (about 30+ times now I think).  They are also a very strange band.  Top 40 success in the USA, loads of college play, huge in Europe, never failed to get single of the week in the music press, a reputation for being one of the best live bands in the country, third billing at Reading (above Blur and Nirvana) and yet, despite sell out shows in sizeable venues throughout their career, the public and press seemed to have forgotten them.

Part of the reason may be they were kind of at the wrong place at the wrong time.  A bunch of suited and booted musicians churning out 1st rate garage punk wasn't easy to sell in the late 80's/early 90's.  They were ten years ahead ( and 20 behind) the times.

Tonight they reformed with the original line-up to perform at what used to be their traditional  St Valentines Day Massacre.  It used to be an annual affair that started out in venues like the London Dungeon and peaked at the Brixton Academy.  This was the first in nearly a decade, and such is their popularity that fans had flown in from Europe, USA and Australia for the show.

Walking on stage to the theme from The Pursuaders, they still look pretty good for their age (well into their 40's) and had more talent and energy than many younger bands I have seen over recent years.

Tonight was a "Best of" package of tunes finishing with a pretty amazing cover of Anarchy In The Uk and a cover of Blitzkrieg Bop which was better than any version I have seen The Ramones perform live.  There was even fistcuffs - some arse threw a beer at the guitarist so he jumped into the crowd and lamped the bloke who did it.

As expected, fantastic gig.  Shame my idiot friend got kicked out of the venue after 15 minutes into the set for having a sneaky cigarette in the toilets.

That sounds awesome! Truly memorable gigs are few and far between these days.

+Quote Post

70 Pages V  « < 51 52 53 54 55 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:31 PM