Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last gig you saw, As it says on the tin
Omniscia
post Apr 2 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #811

Candygram!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (weputthemdown583 @ Apr 1 2008, 10:36 PM)
then i went to see the Mars Volta in march at brixton academy - again, very good.  they must've played for a good two and a half hours non stop!!

Yeah! They kicked off their tour at a small club a few miles from here, and it was awesome. At least 2.5 hours of energetic, obtuse, brain-meltingly twisty and turny rock, in a small space with several hundred enthusiastic supporters, and no intermission!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
weputthemdown583
post Apr 2 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #812

Well, I like them. I think they're good.

Member No.: 6,557

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Apr 2 2008, 02:43 AM)
Yeah! They kicked off their tour at a small club a few miles from here, and it was awesome. At least 2.5 hours of energetic, obtuse, brain-meltingly twisty and turny rock, in a small space with several hundred enthusiastic supporters, and no intermission!

cedric's salsa dancing was very entertaining!!

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Apr 2 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #813

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 1 2008, 11:05 PM)
Incidentally, thanks again for the last minute ticket, Jon - and indeed thanks to your brother, for not being able to make it after all. Either way, it was so worth the mad dash after work to get there by the skin of my teeth!

No problem. Chris has seen them before anyway, & I think you'd appreciated them more.
You did me the favour really, as none of my mates are James fans:

"James? ... are they those guys who had that hit, Sit Down?"

...idiots.

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Apr 21 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #814

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

They Might Be Giants

With my 1 year old niece. It was one of their family shows. She had a blast. I've now seen them 5 times in the past 20 years. Linnell is looking old.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Apr 23 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #815

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

Gogol Bordello Birmingham Academy.

So.Much.Fun. There is so much energy on that stage that you can't help but bounce and dance around with a big grin on your face. They played a perfectly paced set with a load of their faster songs which just kept on going and the really interesting parts with the metal firebucket drumming and the dancing girls were fantastic. The gig wasn't sold out so there was plenty of room to dance around then place.

Unfortunately I wish they'd finished before the encore as it was a 45 minute drawn out medley of some of their slower songs and as they only played bits and pieces of some tracks there was no real structure to it. It did seem really needless and dragged it out a bit which was a shame. However, the main chunk of the performance more than made up for it.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Apr 27 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #816

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

Fat Freddy's Drop last night at the Hammersmith Apollo.
I'd seen these guys about 3 years ago at a free outside gig,... They were great then but they've really improved since then... or maybe they just sounded different to me because they were inside this time.
If you ever get the chance, go and see them. They seem to span genres: House, Reggae, Dub, Chill-out, Jazz, Funk, Drum n Bass...

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Apr 28 2008, 08:34 AM
Post #817

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

For my birthday I got a Jack Johnson ticket for Newquay in July. And we're going to camp for a couple of days, and we have a table booked at 15. Coolio.

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Apr 28 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #818

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

Julie and I saw Elbow last night. They were incredible, and it didn't hurt that we were in a synagogue. It. Was. Great. A few pictures to follow.

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Apr 28 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #819

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

QUOTE (Jubei @ Apr 28 2008, 09:34 AM)
For my birthday I got a Jack Johnson ticket for Newquay in July.  And we're going to camp for a couple of days, and we have a table booked at 15. Coolio.

That sounds excellent.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post May 2 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #820

Australian Pink Floyd

If you have even a passing interest in Pink Floyd then this show is an absolute must see. The music was played to perfection but not in an "Impression" sort of way but a genuine tribute to a band that they all clearly love. The combination of this music with a really impressive stage show with projected Pink Floyd style videos with an Australian twist on them and the classic inflatables made it all the better.

The whole first half of the show I had constant goosebumps and the hairs on the back of my neck were on end, and then during The Great Gig in the Sky when the two female vocalists sang their bit I was actually almost reduced to tears. It was the single most impressive live music I have ever seen. Breathtaking.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 2 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #821

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Jimmay @ May 2 2008, 02:43 PM)
Australian Pink Floyd

If you have even a passing interest in Pink Floyd then this show is an absolute must see. 

What if I like Pink Floyd, but hate Australians?

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post May 2 2008, 03:03 PM
Post #822

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 2 2008, 03:44 PM)
What if I like Pink Floyd, but hate Australians?

They don't say much but I'd close my ears or leave when they do the band introduction just before the last song as they call all the band "Dave *last name*" and all the backing singer girls "Shelia *last name*" Other than that, an inflatable Kangaroo, the Wall hammer heads being shaped like kangaroos and the Dark Side of the Moon Prism being in the shape of Australia, it's quite unintrusively Aussie. Honest.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 2 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #823

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Still sounds a bit dodgy.

I'm hoping one day to see INXS UK or Swedish Men At Work. Same muusci but without the Australian element.

I would like to state that I don't actually have anything against Australians.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 2 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #824

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Jimmay @ May 2 2008, 02:43 PM)
If you have even a passing interest in Pink Floyd then this show is an absolute must see.  The music was played to perfection but not in an "Impression" sort of way but a genuine tribute to a band that they all clearly love.

I still don't think I could enjoy a cover band like that, especially since Pink Floyd are one of my favourite bands of all time.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post May 2 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #825

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 2 2008, 04:10 PM)
Still sounds a bit dodgy.

I'm hoping one day to see INXS UK or Swedish Men At Work. Same muusci but without the Australian element.
I would like to state that I don't actually have anything against Australians.

If you get the chance to see them next time around I would really recommend it. The Australian element is really very subtle and the music is fantastic. They even played at Gilmore's birthday and he got up and jammed with them.

Also, I forgot to mention I was sat in the second row! It was like they were playing to just me (and the fat pricks in front who watched the whole thing through their mobile phones while guzzling cider down their bloated fucking gullets!)

ETA: Adam, they're one of mine too and I was very skeptical. The ticket was bought for me by a friend of the family who has seen them 8 times and saw the original Floyd a number of times. I took that as recommendation enough and I was not disappointed, as you can see.

This post has been edited by Jimmay: May 2 2008, 03:14 PM

+Quote Post

70 Pages V  « < 53 54 55 56 57 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:33 PM