Never been [ 2 ] ** [3.17%]
It's a redundant medium [ 2 ] ** [3.17%]
Total Votes: 63
Guests cannot vote 
superfurryandy
post Oct 21 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Guests

What do people think of the theatre? If you go do you only do the West End/mainstream productions, or is the fringe your thing? Does there need to be 'name' attached, or will you take risks? Is it a medium which should be taken seriously, or an anachronism in today's CGI world?

Well?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Amazongirl
post Oct 21 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Jaffacake Scoffing Geekgirl

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,333

I went to the theatre more times than I had ever been before in only last year. I saw The Graduate, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Cats and a drama dance school fantastic version of Calamity Jane.

I honestly dont go often, its too expensicve or too far away for me to get without a car. Going to see The lion king sometime in london with a friend withing the next few years and whenever Rocky horror comes back in the area. Go to panto's every couple of years too.

Actually, my mum's just booked a night in december to see Strarlight Express whatever that it.

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Oct 21 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #3

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

I try to go see a big Broadway play once a year. It's so damn expensive though! Even smaller productions off-Broadway cost an arm & a leg. I also go to see any productions that friends may be involved in.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Oct 21 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #4

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

I suppose I'm a child of the cinematic age or perhaps just have massive personality problems, but I find going to theatre a distinctly uncomfortable experience. I can't bear to watch things being performed by actual people mere feet away from me because it feels too close and involved. It actually makes me feel embarrassed for the person on stage.

+Quote Post
ella
post Oct 21 2004, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

I don't go as often as I think I should. I did drama at Uni and they forced us to go and I think that it kind of put me off for a while.

Now that I don't live in London it isn't as easy as it used to be - but the Gatehouse is putting on Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum next month, which is near me, so I might have to go and see that.

I have to go to London to see One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest - It's one of my favourite films and I would like to see how it translates on to stage.

I do find that I prefer film though - and on DVD if poss. I have short attention span and I like to be able to get up and make a cup of tea when I like. happy.gif

This post has been edited by ella: Oct 21 2004, 04:26 PM

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Oct 21 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #6

Guests

Hmm, cost has been mentioned a coupla times - I tend avoid the West End and go for the fringe theatre - this doesn't mean you'll be saddled with amateur productions - theatres such as the Bush, Royal Court & Tricycle put on classics, revivals and new writing with great casts for considerably less than the bigger theatres - recently went to the Royal Court & the Tricyle for a combined cost of 14 and saw two good plays courtesy of early bird offers. Of course, living in London I'm ideally situated, really. There are websites which offer deals, such as Showsavers, Whatsonstage & lastminute etc.

For me a really good production is hard to beat - I saw Michael Gambon & Daniel Craig in a two hander at the Court last year and it was electrifying - the theatre also lets you see just how talented performers are - a friend won tickets to see Proof at the Donmar - Gwyneth Paltrow was in it and I went along all cynical, but she showed that she is a very good actress - the only downside was all the starfuckers that had come along for her rather than a piece of theatre.

Ella - Cuckoo's Nest is worth seeing, but I'm not sure if it's worth West End prices - I managed to see it up in Edinburgh at the Fringe. It's more akin to the book than the film, I'd say.

+Quote Post
stagedoor jenny
post Oct 21 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #7

Snicklfritz

Member No.: 2,344

Theatre is great when it's free. I use to get to go years ago when I worked as a concierge for a top London hotel. I went to see The Graduate, The Beautiful Game, Mamma Mia etc. Didn't see some of the classices like Chicago but also saw some awful ones (Notre Dame de Paris was so bad it was histerical). Last one I saw was last year Madness musical 'Our House' which almost put me off Madness it was so bad.

I only go now if it's a special occasion ie I took my little Niece to see Chitty Chitty bang bang for her birthday last year. I really wanted to see My Fair Lady but it's finished now. My sister wants to go and See Saturday Night Fever next week when she's down for her birthday but I've seen it so I'm not bothered. Really want to see Mary Poppins cause I love the film and hopefully I will get to go as we've done merchandise for it at work smile.gif

I would go a lot more often if I was rich. Unfortunatly it's like bands, you only really like forking out for the ones you really want to see.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Oct 21 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #8

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I'm in a Theatre now, I'm in a Theatre nearly every bloody day - I am a Front of House Manager

+Quote Post
Melll
post Oct 21 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #9

The Cuddly Face Of Heavy Metal

Member No.: 2,283

I've only been once or twice.

My wife worked on York's Shakespeare Project for a bit, when they did Richard III - was good.

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Oct 21 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #10

Infamous Wooden Spider

Member No.: 2,273

I don't go very often but i saw One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest at theatre Clwyd a few months ago. Was very impressed.
I'd go more often but don't really know anyone who likes the theatre much.

+Quote Post
bagpuss
post Oct 21 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #11

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,314

I always somehow feel that I'm missing out as I don't go very often. I have seen a few big Shakespeare productions (with Derek Griffiths playing Feste in Twelfth Night) and a few smaller productions to support local theatre groups.

The worst (or possibly best) theatre experience was going to see Cats. I thought the whole thing was appalling and something quite like the Elephant Man production in that 80s film The Tall Guy. Everything in the performance was laughable, especially when the decrepid old cat floats up the the 'great scrap yard in the sky' on a big tyre. It would have been great to laugh at with some equally cynical people but I was there in a professional capacity with a load of kids and had to sit with a straight face throughout. Lloyd Webber is excruciating bad!

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Oct 21 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #12

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

I'm not sure if I go with any regularity (Hence me putting occasionally) But I got to the theatre much more than the cinema, probably about once a month or so. This is because my mum does props and and backstage management for the local (And very good) Am Dram, My school became an Arts college just as I joined 6th form and I'm now attending a second Arts campus for uni and have already seen one production (moby dick-the musical! - an interesting concept).

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Oct 21 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #13

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

QUOTE (bagpuss @ Oct 21 2004, 02:04 PM)
The worst (or possibly best) theatre experience was going to see Cats.

I had the (mis)fortune to see Cats THREE times! wacko.gif Believe me, it wasn't by choice.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Aug 5 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #14

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

I've just seen the touring production of 'Wait Until Dark' in Brighton. It's very good, atmospheric and well-acted.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Aug 5 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #15

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

It's been years since I went to the theatre, last things I remember seeing were "Hamlet" & "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead" but that's going back a fair few years. Maybe if more plays had a swear word in the title happy.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:07 AM