Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

49 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Battlestar Galactica/Caprica, General Thread
cockedlocked
post Oct 26 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Guests

What does everyone think of the new series?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Excelsior
post Oct 26 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #2

Two Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,288

QUOTE (cockedlocked @ Oct 26 2004, 08:42 PM)
What does everyone think of the new series?

I think it's doing quite well in terms of keeping the level it set for itself in the mini-series. I'm quite surprised by them running a story set on the colonies - I'd assumed that as with the original series they were going to stick with the fleet itself but as they're doing it so real time I suppose it makes sense that that guy could still be running around on Caprica (I think it is).

I think the first episode with the continuous attacks was very well played and they've rolled issues from there into the second episode, and the second episode introduced a fascinating psychological battle - just what the hell is going on in her Cylon-Human-Cylon head eh? Is she intentionally just toying with them, or did she decide at some level that if she'd blown the Raptor they'd just have investigated and found water anyway, so there was no point?

As for the newly introduced potential for a Starbuck/Baltar/Number Six three-way - talk about your multitasking!

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Oct 26 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #3

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

I haven't seen the second episode yet (it didn't record properly on Monday - it better had on Thursday, when it's repeated on Sky Mix). But after the mini-series and the first episode I must say I'm very impressed. The characters are interesting, and the story is surprisingly affecting - like the running total of survivors on the new president's white board.

And what can I say about number six - apart from that I'd take her over Patrick McGoohan any day, and 'Yowzer!'.

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Oct 27 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #4

Infamous Wooden Spider

Member No.: 2,273

I'm also impressed. It's a fairly rare occurance when a TV programme comes along that isn't for the most part predictable.
I'd even go so far as to say this is even superior to the original series.

+Quote Post
cockedlocked
post Oct 28 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Guests

The lone survivor is an interesting plotline... why are the Cylons toying with him like this? Doubtless he wouldn't know much about the fleet since he was stranded, but yet, they wouldn't keep him alive if he ws of no use...

What I don't want to see

- that kid they saved getting a robot/dog/mokey thing
- the kid saving they day with some math's whizz formula
- the fleet arriving on earth for Galacica 200-whatever

What I would like to see

- the fleet arriving on earth in the 'past' preferably a time era that is rarely used in Sci Fi... so NOT the old West, Victorian London or WWII
- interpersonal conflicts that affect the entire fleet
- um... the kid to be utterly normal, slightly below average intelectually and have a normal boys' pet like a lizard or a stick insect or something.

+Quote Post
sample#136
post Oct 28 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #6

Guests

Well we haven't even seen Boxey since the mini-series so hopefully he was on that ship they were forced to shoot down. tongue.gif

I'm actually really enjoying the show. It reminds me of Space Above and Beyond in some ways and although I'm still resistant to a female Starbuck and Boomer, I'm slowly coming round to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Richard Hatch in the next episode though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Excelsior
post Oct 29 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #7

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,288

QUOTE (sample#136 @ Oct 28 2004, 11:54 PM)
I'm looking forward to seeing Richard Hatch in the next episode though. smile.gif

(That's the old Apollo who was originally really miffed they were doing a remake because he was trying to get it kicked off, but has now merrily jumped on the bandwagon because it's just so frickin' cool!)

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Jan 24 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #8

Infamous Wooden Spider

Oh my God! i can't believe what just happened!!! That was a great series end!

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Jan 24 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #9

That has to be one of the best episodes of a television drama I've ever seen.

It managed to have - what? - five or six storylines running at once, all of them pitched at an urgent, tense pace. We got to know the characters well throughout the series, and to have them come into new conflict, and make surprising new alliances, worked really well.

As for the ending. I knew from newspaper previews that something dramatic was going to happen, but I did not expect that.

I really hope that enough people watch this to justify making a second series.

This post has been edited by Chapman Baxter: Jan 24 2005, 09:33 PM

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Jan 24 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #10

Infamous Wooden Spider

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Jan 24 2005, 10:21 PM)
I really hope that enough people watch this to justify making a second series.

They better! They can't leave it like THAT!

+Quote Post
philt
post Jan 24 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #11

You ain't seen me. Right?

Member No.: 2,261

Will Dr Zee be in the next season? Will we see the return of the Space Scouts? When will they get those really kewl flying bikes?

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 24 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #12

Space Cowboy

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (philt @ Jan 24 2005, 10:31 PM)
Will Dr Zee be in the next season? Will we see the return of the Space Scouts? When will they get those really kewl flying bikes?

You deserve a long, slow and painful death for even daring to mention the above . . . tongue.gif

I've been re-watching the original series on DVD (17.99 from MVC's web site!) and although it's cheesy as hell, it's really good fun to watch!!

+Quote Post
Svein
post Jan 25 2005, 09:23 AM
Post #13

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Member No.: 3,252

QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Jan 24 2005, 09:57 PM)
Oh my God! i can't believe what just happened!!!  That was a great series end!

Tell me about it... I reminded me of the Trek series finale (Best of Both Worlds part 1 I believe) where Picard is with the Borg and Riker says "Fire"!!!!

They'd better pick this up for a second season, or I'm having a bake sale so that we can pay for another season ourselves...

What an ending...

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Jan 25 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #14

** SPOILER WARNING!! **

I want to say a few things about the amazing last episode of Battlestar Galactica.

The ending, of course, was shocking. I assume that seeing all the other versions of herself awoke Boomer's true identity, or perhaps they passed some sort of signal to her. I did think she was acting a bit too calmly when she got back to the Galactica, but put that down to her trying to put on a brave public face as the returning hero. Is Adama dead? Well, he didn't seem to be moving, but it's obviously been left open-ended.

What will happen to Apollo now? If the crew go by the book - as they have done in situations when any other crew in a sf show would not - he will be in the brig for a long time.

I could hardly believe what was happening when Adama ordered an assault team to arrest the president. I can't think of any other show where two long-established 'good guys' could collide so dramatically. It would certainly never happen on Star Trek!

It was good to see Number 6 do more than just walk around looking sultry - her fight with Starbuck was brutal. I did think having Helo (the only other human on the entire planet) turn up in the nick of time was a coincidence too far.

So, as was foreshadowed a couple of episodes ago, Caprica Boomer is pregnant. Does this have anything to do with 'the next step' Number 6 was telling Gaius about? And what on earth was in the cot - some sort of human/cylon hybrid?

Roll on the second series!

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Jan 25 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #15

Guests

Season 1 on DVD

Unfortunately I've only seen the mini series so far (which was excellent) so I'll either have to wait for the DVD to come out or hope that the first season is shown again - which is quite likely, I suppose.

+Quote Post

49 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:03 PM