Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Star Wars, General News, Information and Discussion
philt
post Nov 7 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #31

You ain't seen me. Right?

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,261

The excitement was building - a Star Wars prequel - dampened only slighly by the name "The Phantom Menace". Then the trailer - wooo look at that guy in the red - double ended lightsabre and that music..

On release the news filtered though - it wasn't very good. Went to see it anyway. The news was right. It was utter shit.

The excitement was building - a new Star Wars prequel - dampened only slightly by the name "Attack Of The Clones" and the huge disappointment of TPM. Then the trailer - mmm that doesn't look very good.

On release the news filtered though - it was better than TPM. With reservations I went to see it. Better than TPM - yes but only in the sense that a turd with a cherry on top is more appetising than one without.

The excitement was building - a new Star Wars prequel. Dampened only by two utterly appalling movie's the name "Return Of The Sith" hardly registers on the radar.

The preview trailer is released. It looks worse than Attack of the Clones.

"I have a bad feeling about this"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Godfella
post Nov 7 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #32

Guests

I have a bad feeling about this

laugh.gif

the funniest thing i've heard is someone on the internet describing the new star wars movies as looking like command and conquer cut scenes, dont now if anyone here has played it. they do look like computer games due to the over use of CGI, but still I do have hopes for this one.

+Quote Post
Excelsior
post Nov 7 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #33

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,288

Well it's a strange thing - ever since the later Wing Commander games I think that in-game videos have quietly been creating a genre all their own. I'd actually love to see a collection of them - in fact I think you can buy the Starcraft videos on DVD. Let's face it, when you see that sort of sci-fi action as a common thing in games then an actual film, that you can't interact with, is actually going to have to be at a consistently high level throughout to beat the intensity of high-action cut scenes in games. In keeping with many others I keep re-watching the Warhammer Dawn of War intro sequence because it could so easily be a trailer for a movie...

This post has been edited by Excelsior: Nov 7 2004, 11:12 PM

+Quote Post
War Bastard
post Nov 8 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #34

No Pinter

Group: Junior Members
Member No.: 2,281

I have to say I was expecting a little more. I'd heard great things about the trailer and I had much anticipation but when I watched it, something about it fell a little flat. I did like the wookies, and fingers crossed goerge will not drag them down to the level of some his other creations. I also really liked the shot of the two star ships side by side blowing each other apart, reminded me of ships at sea fireing cannons at one another, those were the days.

And the thing about Episodes I & II looking like the cut scenes from Command & Conquer games had me laughing for quite some time. Though, truth be told I loved those cut scenes and wish they hadnt dropped them in Generals and Renegade.

"Congratulations Comrade General...or should I say, Cosmonaut General!"

Plus the C&C scenes had better dialog. wink.gif

This post has been edited by War Bastard: Nov 8 2004, 09:19 PM

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 9 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #35

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

Damn my eyes. I just saw the trailer today, and blow me if I didn't get goosebumps.

However, the question on most people's lips will be 'How can it possibly be shit?'; unfortunately, I've heard THAT before...

+Quote Post
Melll
post Nov 9 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #36

The Cuddly Face Of Heavy Metal

Member No.: 2,283

I saw it today. If it were a movie on it's own, more people would be salivating over it.

Looks excellent.

+Quote Post
Excelsior
post Nov 9 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #37

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,288

Perhaps I'm just not getting the full effect not seeing it on a cinema screen, but a hell of a lot of it is from ANH! Isn't that, I don't know, cheating?!!! I know it's a teaser trailer but...

+Quote Post
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 11 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #38

One day I'll pay for it all.....

Member No.: 2,497

Ok, hands up. Who thinks Revenge of the Sith will be a case of third time lucky, or the rotten cherry on top of a nasty turd cake?

Me? I'm holding my nose already.

JJM biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
skip 2 the end
post Nov 11 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #39

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,274

Watch the trailer. See the wookiee army. See the Emp's saber.

Repeat.

Cherish it.

+Quote Post
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 11 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (skip 2 the end @ Nov 11 2004, 09:42 PM)
Watch the trailer. See the wookiee army. See the Emp's saber.

Repeat.

Cherish it.

Ah, alas...trailers do not a good movie make. I have fond memories of the one for Phantom Menace. But I hope you are right...I truly do.

JJM:D

+Quote Post
Ade
post Nov 12 2004, 03:28 AM
Post #41

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Melll @ Nov 9 2004, 08:40 PM)
If it were a movie on it's own, more people would be salivating over it.

You're right there - if it was a hitherto unknown franchise, people would be rating it the best thing since the last best thing.
I'll agree it looks visually very impressive ("most impressive") biggrin.gif, maybe too much so, for what is ostensibly meant to be
the 'darkest hour' in the Star Wars franchise. It just looks a bit too kiddie-friendly, just a little TOO colourful for my liking.
I hope the film itself is gonna be well proper DARK. As JJM just said, a 'good' trailer don't necessarily make for a 'good' film -
I had goosebumps the first several times I watched the Phantom Menace teaser, only to be disappointed with the end result
(with the exception of the pod race and the awesome lightsaber duels of course!)

Something else that's always bugged me about the prequels is that the acting seems in places to be SO wooden.
Incredible to think the critics said the same about the originals, but something that still holds up today with the original
films is the character interactions just seem natural, more believable, which just seems to be missing from the prequels,
depite the SFX gloss they have had the benefit of.

But I'm just a spoilt curmudgeon who was born and raised on the best sci-fi (ropey FX or not), pay me no heed. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 12 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 12 2004, 03:28 AM)
You're right there - if it was a hitherto unknown franchise, people would be rating it the best thing since the last best thing.
I'll agree it looks visually very impressive ("most impressive") biggrin.gif, maybe too much so, for what is ostensibly meant to be
the 'darkest hour' in the Star Wars franchise. It just looks a bit too kiddie-friendly, just a little TOO colourful for my liking.
I hope the film itself is gonna be well proper DARK. As JJM just said, a 'good' trailer don't necessarily make for a 'good' film -
I had goosebumps the first several times I watched the Phantom Menace teaser, only to be disappointed with the end result
(with the exception of the pod race and the awesome lightsaber duels of course!)

Something else that's always bugged me about the prequels is that the acting seems in places to be SO wooden.
Incredible to think the critics said the same about the originals, but something that still holds up today with the original
films is the character interactions just seem natural, more believable, which just seems to be missing from the prequels,
depite the SFX gloss they have had the benefit of.

But I'm just a spoilt curmudgeon who was born and raised on the best sci-fi (ropey FX or not), pay me no heed. wink.gif

Must admit I'm with you on this. George Lucas does have the knack of making actors of the highest calibre look as though they haven't been inside a studio before let alone act. There are numerous inferences to this on the new DVD's.

I'm a star wars fan and have been since 1977...I WANT the new movie to be good.
I just feel that the motivation for the original trilogy was different to the prequels. I suspect a movie heavy on effects, tugging at the memories of hardent fans by re-introducing familiar characters but low on storyline and a script that, if consistant with the other prequels, will be bloody awful.

Still...at least Darth Vader will be in it. It might just be worth it for that.

Maybe.

JJM happy.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 17 2004, 01:03 PM
Post #43

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

There's a good Epiosde III Trailer joke on PVP today cool.gif

+Quote Post
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 17 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 17 2004, 01:03 PM)
There's a good Epiosde III Trailer joke on PVP today cool.gif

Great gag that. I can relate to it with relative ease. That bloody Lucas...does he know what he's doing or what?!

JJM biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 17 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #45

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

Yeah, that is quite good. Not funny good but accurate. God, nothing makes me laugh these days.

+Quote Post

113 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 03:16 PM