IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Are you new?

Please feel free to say hello here in the New Members thread.

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> anything odd....
Anti_God
post Nov 19 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #16

One Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,483

QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Nov 19 2004, 06:39 PM)
But why not criticise,

Because Spaced rocks! quite franky and u have to question the wisdom of criticising Spaced on a forum filled with dedicated dare i say fanatical fans smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Nov 19 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #17

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

As long as the criticism is well thought out and can be in the least bit justified, critique away!

+Quote Post
OverTilt
post Nov 19 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #18

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,779

I wholeheartedly agree. Like, if I were to comment on the joke in the second episode about the cleaning of the flat, there should be no problem.

Let me clarify:
I think maybe Edgar could have made the joke easier to spot. Many of the people I've shown Spaced to don't get that joke. Most of them don't actually. It's not that obvious that they've actually cleaned the place, though it's obviously clean if you look around. A few seconds more could have helped him clarify that the flat was now clean by... I dunno... putting in some close-ups of different parts of the flat and stuff. It's just a thing that's bothered me for some time, though not very much. It doesn't mean I don't like Spaced as much, just that I am awake enough to see that it's not without its faults.

+Quote Post
Anti_God
post Nov 19 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #19

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,483

Ok then, now that we got that established any1 got anythting else they'd like to point out that they think doesn't quite ring true in Spaced with out any fear of repurcussions from avid fans

This post has been edited by Anti_God: Nov 19 2004, 09:23 PM

+Quote Post
wherearethezombi...
post Nov 19 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #20

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,628

Criticise Spaced and you lose your legs. That's all i'm saying.

+Quote Post
spacegurl
post Nov 19 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 2,345

I wholeheartedly agree. Like, if I were to comment on the joke in the second episode about the cleaning of the flat, there should be no problem.

Let me clarify:
I think maybe Edgar could have made the joke easier to spot. Many of the people I've shown Spaced to don't get that joke. Most of them don't actually. It's not that obvious that they've actually cleaned the place, though it's obviously clean if you look around. A few seconds more could have helped him clarify that the flat was now clean by... I dunno... putting in some close-ups of different parts of the flat and stuff. It's just a thing that's bothered me for some time, though not very much. It doesn't mean I don't like Spaced as much, just that I am awake enough to see that it's not without its faults.

it seems quite clear to me, ive never thought of that joke being hard to spot. i think the hoover in the middle of the room kinda sets the joke for me.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Nov 19 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (Anti_God @ Nov 19 2004, 07:48 PM)
Because Spaced rocks! quite franky and u have to question the wisdom of criticising Spaced on a forum filled with dedicated dare i say fanatical fans smile.gif

Fanatical to the point of blind adoration with no room for objectivity and independance of thought?

That's not good, surely?

+Quote Post
OverTilt
post Nov 20 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #23

One Pinter

QUOTE (spacegurl @ Nov 19 2004, 11:56 PM)
it seems quite clear to me, ive never thought of that joke being hard to spot. i think the hoover in the middle of the room kinda sets the joke for me.

Well, the thing is that you have to spot it. The slow tilt up is meant to reveal the cleaned flat, but it doesn't so much reveal as just display it. At least that's what I feel.

+Quote Post
dr_james2k
post Nov 20 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #24

Guests

I know I shouldn't really post a mistake I've spotted as one of my first posts but:

How come in the first series Tim loves star wars and doesn't mention episode 1 yet in the second series he hates SW because of episode one. Now your going to tell me that it came out during the break when Daisy was away but in the 1st episode of series 2 Tim says that they've been living there for about a year then later she points out that episode 1 was 18 months ago, thats more than a year so it would have happened during or before the first series? hmmm....

+Quote Post
JamesLydon
post Nov 20 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (wherearethezombies @ Nov 19 2004, 09:48 PM)
Criticise Spaced and you lose your legs. That's all i'm saying.

Edgar's back on the forum, everybody!

+Quote Post
TheGimp
post Nov 20 2004, 05:26 PM
Post #26

Crusty Juggler

Member No.: 2,286

Oh, that one's easy.

Clearly, series 1 and series 2 exist in parallel dimensions.

In series 1, The Phantom Menace was a raging success, gaining 2 more Oscars than The Godfather, ptII. Tim's faith in A Galaxy Far, Far Away is strengthed, and indeed, upon meeting George Lucas at a SciFiCon, the two experience love at first sight, and are married 3 months later in a lavish ceremony on Endor.

In series 2, however, The Phantom Menace is a farce, with the character of Jar-Jar Binks setting off a chain reaction deep within the tortured mind of Tim Bisley, a reaction that is brought to a head by the 732nd child asking for the Jar-Jar doll. The trail of death and destruction finally ends at a US airport, where a SWAT team manage to corner and then gun down the slavering monster.

Simple, really.

+Quote Post
OverTilt
post Nov 20 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #27

One Pinter

Totally. Spot on. My thoughts exactly.

I sometimes wonder who subtitled this thing, though, and whether this person has no knowledge of the newer Star Wars films at all and if he/she didn't recieve an actual script to use for the subtitles. I like watching even English-speaking shows and films with subtitles at least once to make sure I catch everything that is said. Especially with Spaced since the speech can sometimes be a bit muddled (I didn't notice the "No, thanks. Twelve's my limit" joke until I'd seen it several times, for example.) I like doing this. So, anyway, Tim talks with Bilbo about Jar Jar being bollocks when I read quite clearly on the subtitles "Ja Ja"! Ja Ja? What, now?

Of course, that's not an actual fault with the series, just a presumably drunk subtitler.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Nov 20 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (JamesLydon @ Nov 20 2004, 04:58 PM)
Edgar's back on the forum, everybody!

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
waitingforsimon
post Nov 21 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #29

Three Pinter

Member No.: 2,718

Wow you all bring up very valid points there, but I will say the same to you as I do to people on my Buffy and Angel site, I watch it for escapism, and its made for entertainment. Im not bothered about small continuity errors or whatever I just like to let these talented people entertain me and let me forget for a while the shite which is reality. Also we all have to remember that Spaced was not made on a huge budget nor with unlimited time Im sure that these little things that you question or irritate you were done because of lack of funds or time to think them through, however if you step back and forgive them its an amazing series and to me the little mistakes just make me love it more. Bxxx

+Quote Post
OverTilt
post Nov 21 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #30

One Pinter

I never said any of this irritated me, and I don't QUESTION the show. From your post, one'd think we were saying it ruined the series for us. Personally, I find I am not truly at home with something unless I have realised that it's not infallible. Loving one's good traits is very easy, but loving someone's faults is all the more powerful.

I view Spaced as I view my girlfriend. We've been together for a bit over two years now. Lived together for nigh on one. I realise she's not perfect, but I don't care. I still love her. I still go to bed with her every night and look forward to every second I spend with her. Same thing with Spaced.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:09 PM