IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Worst Movie Remake Ever, What gets your vote?
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 22 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #1

One day I'll pay for it all.....

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,497

There have been lots of comments on the board about favourite movies becoming fodder for the hollywood movie machine, so I thought a specific topic for such sacrilege would be appropriate.

Having watched the travesty that was the 're-imaginging' of POTA it has to be top of my list since, even with a quality director and cast, the movie mogul grip throttled it until it became a limp and lifeless parody of the original by the time it hit the screens.

There, that's off my chest. How 'bout you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OverTilt
post Nov 22 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #2

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,779

I actually quite liked "Planet of the Apes: Whizz-Band Edition". I think Tim Burton did a good job directing it, and I just adored the "is there a soul in there?!" bit. It's more of an action film than anything else, of course, which removes it far from its parent film, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. Granted, the ending is just confusing and stupid ( I haven't given it much thought since I saw it in the cinema, though.) but the rest is quite enjoyable.

My candidate will have to be the late seventies remake of King Kong. It completely destroyed all that was appealing about the original, and even removed the tyrannosaurus-fight. Boo! Hiss! Peter Jackson is reintroducing that bit, so YAYH!

+Quote Post
Kris
post Nov 22 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #3

I am not nick frost

Member No.: 2,403

Thunderbirds.... "LETS THUNDERIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"... although I'm pretty sure the original movie was bad as well. People need to learn when to leave things alone!

+Quote Post
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 22 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (OverTilt @ Nov 22 2004, 08:55 PM)
I actually quite liked "Planet of the Apes: Whizz-Band Edition". I think Tim Burton did a good job directing it, and I just adored the "is there a soul in there?!" bit. It's more of an action film than anything else, of course, which removes it far from its parent film, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. Granted, the ending is just confusing and stupid ( I haven't given it much thought since I saw it in the cinema, though.) but the rest is quite enjoyable.

My candidate will have to be the late seventies remake of King Kong. It completely destroyed all that was appealing about the original, and even removed the tyrannosaurus-fight. Boo! Hiss! Peter Jackson is reintroducing that bit, so YAYH!

I thought that the seventies rendition of Kong just jumped upon the old, supplant action for any kind of quality storyline.....hang on, that rings a bell. It must be good then.

JJM biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 22 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #5

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Thunderbirds. I knew it would be bad, but I didn't think a film could be THAT bad . . . sad.gif

The Avengers was pretty sh*te as well . . .

+Quote Post
OverTilt
post Nov 22 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #6

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,779

very poignant, jaffaman. Quite. Quite. The thing is that the original Kong is also an action feature. The things they didn't keep in the seventies remake weren't storyline points. They were actually mostly action-bits and, as far as I remember, the sexual undertone of Kong's relationship to his dream-girl. In the original, it's actually quite out there.

It needs to be said that I saw the Tim Burton PotA before I saw the original (boo! hiss! I know.) But that's the way it is, I guess.

+Quote Post
Rob Wells
post Nov 22 2004, 09:40 PM
Post #7

Three Pinter

Member No.: 2,574

The big fire scene in Gone With The Wind was used as a handy way for the studios to get rid of the HUGE King Kong set. True titbit of the evening. Now, shut up, I'm A Celeb is on.

+Quote Post
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 22 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (OverTilt @ Nov 22 2004, 09:28 PM)
very poignant, jaffaman. Quite. Quite. The thing is that the original Kong is also an action feature. The things they didn't keep in the seventies remake weren't storyline points. They were actually mostly action-bits and, as far as I remember, the sexual undertone of Kong's relationship to his dream-girl. In the original, it's actually quite out there.

It needs to be said that I saw the Tim Burton PotA before I saw the original (boo! hiss! I know.) But that's the way it is, I guess.

Forgive my petulance. It's that 'Tim and Star Wars' kinda mentality that has never left me.

JJM biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
wherearethezombi...
post Nov 22 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #9

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,628

Every remake that turned an awesomly scary japanese movie into a farcical mince pie.

*shakes fist*

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 22 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #10

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

QUOTE (wherearethezombies @ Nov 22 2004, 10:02 PM)
Every remake that turned an awesomly scary japanese movie into a farcical mince pie.

The Grudge wasn't so bad. Still retained some shit scariness.

My vote goes to Alfie. Not that I'm a big fan of the original (it's a bit rubbish really) but the remake is without a shadow of a doubt one of the biggest pieces of shit ever to disgrace a cinema screen.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Nov 23 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #11

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

Psycho.

I mean, Why? ...So they could set it present day, & film it in colour? That made it worse! The rest was identical shot for shot. I didn't see the point. It was well made, but if you're going to remake a film, do it differently.

...or did i miss the point? huh.gif

This post has been edited by Jon 79: Nov 23 2004, 01:27 AM

+Quote Post
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 23 2004, 05:43 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Nov 23 2004, 01:27 AM)
Psycho.

I mean, Why? ...So they could set it present day, & film it in colour? That made it worse! The rest was identical shot for shot. I didn't see the point. It was well made, but if you're going to remake a film, do it differently.

No....you're quite right. A bit like getting a Turner, painting over the top of it and claiming it as your own. Movies by numbers.

JJM biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jollyjaffaman: Nov 23 2004, 05:43 AM

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Nov 23 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #13

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Nov 23 2004, 01:27 AM)
Psycho.

Totally agree!
They remade the damn thing in colour and then made it so drab and dreary and with so little colour in it - they might as well have left it in black and white.

And the only thing they added was Norman Bates masturbating. Now was that *really* necessary???

Have these people ever heard of the power of suggestion?

Cheers
AC

+Quote Post
Jollyjaffaman
post Nov 23 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #14

*shakes fist*

I keep thinking of Godzilla.......Why is that? Oh, yeah....it was shit. Plenty of action though!

JJM biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Nov 23 2004, 09:50 AM
Post #15

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

*shakes fist*

Admittedly I haven't seen the original, but the re-made Grudge scared the piss out of me. Eeeeurgh. I still get the shivers thinking about the Noise and the Little Boy.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:42 PM