Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firefly, General Thread
Raven
post Jan 16 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #16

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Got my box set just before Christmas but it took me until last weekend to start watching it and all I can say is I'm gutted this didn't carry on as a series because it is the mutt's nuts!

Okay, a film will be good - although I'm guessing it will be straight to DVD in the UK - but an on-going series would have been sooooo much better . . .

Fox just don't seem to understand when they have an excellent show on their hands . . . [see Futurama also] sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
whitey
post Jan 17 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #17

never rub another man's rhubarb

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,308

Yeah, I rewatched the whole thing a few weeks ago and found myself getting all teary eyed about it's cancellation, something I haven't ever done with a TV show. I was pissed off about Futurama but 74 episodes is pretty good going. Firefly only got a measly 14... And it had so much only partially fulfilled potential. Bastards.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 17 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #18

Space Cowboy

It's certainly one of the best sci-fi series of recent years. How mediocre shows like Andromeda can keep getting renewed when real gems like Firefly get cancelled is beyond me . . . wacko.gif

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Jan 17 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #19

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

I consider myself a Whedonlover but I've only seen a couple of episodes of Firefly. Seems good though, they are/were running on the Sci Fi channel...

+Quote Post
true believer
post Jan 17 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #20

Prevaricator

Member No.: 2,564

Is there a law somewhere that says that a shows longevity is in inverse proportion to its quality? Maybe it's the intelligence of Firefly that alienated viewers - it had a slow pace, morally ambivalent characters and resolutions that didn't come stright out of the big Star Trek book of cliches. No wonder the morons at TV control didn't get it.

It reminds me of a time I had a burger in Wendy's - when such things existed. Remember they used pute beef in the burgers? Tasted fantastic. And one woman behind me bit into hers, grimaced and said 'it's not a real burger - like Macdonalds.' If you feed people shit long enough then they fail to understand anything which isn't shit.

Lets hope the film renews interest. It's amazing that all the actors are still around.

+Quote Post
Hordak
post Jan 17 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #21

Guests

Alas, it's always sad when a quality show like Firefly is canned yet crap like 'The Simple Life' or 'Average Joe' is renewed time after time after time...

...same goes for Angel. I was so pissed off when the WB axed it... the b******s!

+Quote Post
whitey
post Jan 18 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #22

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

QUOTE (true believer @ Jan 17 2005, 03:23 PM)
and resolutions that didn't come stright out of the big Star Trek book of cliches.

careful...

+Quote Post
true believer
post Jan 18 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #23

Prevaricator

Member No.: 2,564

Oh come on! When did a Trek captain ever stride onto the ship, shoot the bad guy in the head without a second thought and go get a sandwich? One of the reasons the show got cancelled was that Malc wasn't 'Kirk' enough. One of the guiding principles of TV production is to give people what they've had before - hence the fact that Enterprise keeps getting made despite pitiful reviews.

Should point out that I don't dislike Trek as such - except Voyager which was bollocks - but it does irritate that something as innovative as Firefly gets cancelled when far less creative fare continues to plod on, simply because of an imagined demographic.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Feb 2 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #24

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

i. love. firefly.

had heard of it from american friends before, but it didn't even register in the UK. however, the people i am housesitting for in new york have the dvd box set, and i watched the whole lot in one sitting.
it is utter, utter sublime genius. i wasn't a huge buffy or angel fan, but this show blew my mind. just so good. i will be purchasing it so that i can continue to obsessively watch it when i get home. i'm so excited about the film!

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 2 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #25

Space Cowboy

I've been re-watching it over the last couple of weeks - it's very well put together, it's just a pity they never really got into an on-going story line like Angel/Buffy.

Still, at least we have Serenity to look forward to in the autumn!

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Feb 3 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #26

OMNOMNOM

woohoo for serenity!
however, i saw a cast pic and book and inara weren't in it. they are in the film as part of the crew, aren't they?

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Feb 3 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #27

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (widowspider @ Feb 3 2005, 03:26 PM)
woohoo for serenity!
however, i saw a cast pic and book and inara weren't in it. they are in the film as part of the crew, aren't they?

Was that in Total Film (or was it Empire - one or the other anyway)? I thought that but no worries, according to the almighty IMDB the gang's all here.

+Quote Post
spacedog
post Feb 3 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #28

Guests

Last I heard they are in the movie but no longer as part of the Serenity crew.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 3 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #29

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (spacedog @ Feb 3 2005, 03:30 PM)
Last I heard they are in the movie but no longer as part of the Serenity crew.

I thought that was Simon and River, not Inara . . . huh.gif

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Feb 3 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #30

OMNOMNOM

i saw a cast pic on the browncoats forum, it had simon and river in it but not book and inara. and if they aren't on the ship i'll be most pissed off. the dynamics of that group were so fantastic!

+Quote Post

90 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:10 PM