Dave Gorman [ 2 ] ** [1.32%]
Other [ 30 ] ** [19.74%]
Total Votes: 152
Guests cannot vote 
superfurryandy
post Dec 3 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #1

Guests

So yeah - been done before, but with new people and the capacity for more choices, let's do it again - I've tried to do a broad cross section of old & new comics, and there's always the ubiquitous 'Other'.

Vote now, and give your reasons.

Please.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Dec 3 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #2

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,284

I've voted for Ross Noble. He's not my favourite comedian of all time but I've not seen that much actual proper stand-up and his was the show that made me really ache with laughter.

Apart from him, I'd have to say Lee & Herring even though I can't remember what their stand-up was like any more.

+Quote Post
wherearethespoon...
post Dec 3 2004, 11:44 AM
Post #3

Victor Meldrew Junior

Member No.: 2,677

The more I watch Sean Lock the more I enjoy his absurd and dry style. Great stuff, he never has to get into a rant about politics and the like but his performances on Have I Got News For You prove he easily could.

I'm also pretty fond of Billy Bailey who has a decent mix of things going on. Lee Evans is a superb physical comedian and is good with accents and that.

I voted other for Sean Lock.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the young Matt Blaize. He is fantastic!

This post has been edited by wherearethespoons: Dec 3 2004, 11:50 AM

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post Dec 3 2004, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Boop boop e doo!

Member No.: 2,571

I'd probably have to go for Kitson. Seeing him at the Fringe, even with a stinking cold made me hurt, he was so good.

Eddie Izzard used to be my favourite - but he tends to recycle too much now. The "film" "career" has definitely been detrimental to his comedy. And maybe I'm just used to it now. Bill Bailey is always good to see, but again recycles a bit. Adam Hills is lovely, lovely, lovely and I'd like him in a cuddly teddy form, but Kitson just edges it.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Dec 3 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #5

Guests

I knew I'd miss decent people off - Sean Lock is very, very good - never seen Stewart Lee live, but his Fringe show was universally bigged up by the crits.

I tend to fluctuate, but my current fave is definitely Kitson (hence avatar) - as Tigerlily said, even with a heavy cold (and his constant demands for hot drinks), his fringe show this year was sublime, and he overran by half an hour - bonus!

I tend to favour comedians who can think on their feet and banter with the audience - people like Kitson, Rich Hall, Noble, Vegas, Merton - no two shows are the same with these masters of their art. Of the more 'setbound' acts, I'd go for either Hills or Burns - respectively, nice and nasty Aussies.

Edit: And a special mention for Mr Bill Hicks - all governments are liars and murderers.

This post has been edited by superfurryandy: Dec 3 2004, 11:55 AM

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Dec 3 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #6

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Dec 3 2004, 11:54 AM)
I knew I'd miss decent people off - Sean Lock is very, very good - never seen Stewart Lee live, but his Fringe show was universally bigged up by the crits.

I've seen Stewart Lee do solo stuff live and it wasn't a patch on Lee & Herring. Very meandering and he did a whole routine about his grandad dying that was a little too uncomfortable for my liking. Though to be fair, it was a tiny trying-out-ideas-for-Edinburgh show so it probably isn't fair to compare it to a proper fully rehearsed L&H show.

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post Dec 3 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #7

Boop boop e doo!

Member No.: 2,571

Saw Stewart Lee at the Fringe and he was good, but I couldn't say he was fantastic (party poppers and badges aside!). I wouldn't say it was anything out of the ordinary, apart from it being Stewart Lee.

Danny Bhoy was a pleasant surprise when we saw him. His set seemed quite loose and unconnected - but when he reached the end you realised that it was, in fact, tightly structured and all linked up together. Which was quite a nice wee surprise. He always seems to be popular, but never anyone's favourite, I guess just because he's quite safe. But there's always a place for safe comedy in the genre.

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Dec 3 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #8

Guests

I really enjoyed Stewart Lee's show this year - it was very...Stewart Lee.

I'm finding it hard to decide even if I only choose people on the list, which discounts Dylan Moran and Tommy Tiernan among others - shame on you Andrew wink.gif (and would Mark Thomas count as 'standup' because he's fucking funny).

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Dec 3 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #9

Guests

I would include him as he still uses the 'tricks' of a stand up to draw his audience in - also Mark Steel and Jeremy Hardy - the holy trinity of left wing comedy - they all prove that you can be both deeply political and trouser splittingly hilarious.

You know what I've done - in an effort to be inclusive and not just put my own particular favourites in, I've left too many goodun's off the list.

+Quote Post
williambuckroger...
post Dec 3 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #10

RIZZIO!

Member No.: 2,346

QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Dec 3 2004, 11:32 AM)
Vote now, and give your reasons.

Please.

kitson.

~pushes imaginary specs up nose~

y'cunt.

+Quote Post
Lauren
post Dec 3 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #11

I woke up weak today...

Member No.: 2,575

Surely Dave Gorman doesn't class as stand-up anymore!?

I have too many favorites at the moment but virtually none of them are on your list... they would be

Noel Fielding
Stewart Lee
Andrew Maxwell
Marcus Brigstocke
Mitch Benn
Simon (Mc)Farnaby
Lee Mack
Sean Lock
Rob Rouse
the Mighty Simon Munnery

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Dec 3 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #12

Guests

Hmm - I think Gorman would fall into the same category as Mark Thomas - they've used their innate stand up skills in order to move into new directions - as I said, with that list I've tried to present a broad spectrum of stand up present and not too distant past (I don't want people thinking I actually like Lee Evans or Jo Brand), bur even with the increased capapcity for poll choices, you can't fit everyone in. I did consider including B*n *lt*n but I didn't want the forum to be submerged in vomit

+Quote Post
whitey
post Dec 3 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #13

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

I love Richard Pryor. Even when he's not funny (which isn't often) he's captivating.
Voted Pryor but if not him then Hicks.

I stood behind Stewart Lee in a crowd at Glastonbury in 95. He was pissed out of his face, sunburnt and pretty fat. I kicked him and he didn't notice.

This post has been edited by whitey: Dec 3 2004, 03:46 PM

+Quote Post
nemasis_of_the_vole
post Dec 3 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Guests

i picked ross noble as i love his style and randomness and the way he sees life. also he reminds me of bill bailey but more weirder. i love bill bailey too but my vote goes for ross smile.gif
Chez x x x

+Quote Post
niamh
post Dec 3 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Dec 3 2004, 11:39 AM)
I've voted for Ross Noble. He's not my favourite comedian of all time but I've not seen that much actual proper stand-up and his was the show that made me really ache with laughter.

Apart from him, I'd have to say Lee & Herring even though I can't remember what their stand-up was like any more.

i voted for Ross Noble too, i saw him on Halloween and i felt ill because i was laughing so much. He talked about plums and a plum hotline. He's very VERY funny man and i really think you have to see him live to fully appreciate his comedy.
His improvisation skills are beyond comprehension, i was in shock after the 3 hours he stood there rambling about stuff that somehow was really funny.

Eddie Izzard is another favourite but not his recent stuff, Dressed to Kill was fantastic, after that it just got more and more unfunny.
Damn i have to get Dressed to Kill on dvd, our VHS copy was eaten by the video recorder *sob*

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:14 AM