> The Dark Knight Rises, And the other Nolan Batman Films
Stink_Palm
post Aug 1 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #136

Two Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,456

QUOTE (Crutch @ Aug 1 2006, 12:47 PM)
Says who? Burton appearently though the films should be about the villians, because he thought Batman/Wayne was a quite lame and boring character, about which was everything told after a 75 seconds flash-back (and the later confrontation with the Joker), which actually was right the way Burton told the first movie.

"Says who"? It's a BATMAN movie. If Burton didn't think the Batman/Bruce character was interesting enough he should have stayed the hell away! The guy has never even read a comic book, it was a joke that WB picked him up in the first place, just because he has a dark directing style. The Batman/Bruce character actually was a lame and boring character in the Burton movies, and that was his fault. Nolan created three different sides; the haunted Bruce character, the playboy Bruce and Batman himself. Burton created one - the playboy Bruce who sometimes wore a suit and fought crime.

He could have told it all in 15 minutes. To be honest, I really enjoyed BB, except that there was a huge lack of over the top super villianness and that Wayne Sr. was the absolute over-humanist, who builds the train in the morning, cares for his son at noon and transplants hearts in the evening, while owning a multi-billion dollar business.

That IS Wayne Sr. Why do you think Bruce and the whole of Gotham admired him so much? If Bruce's father wasn't like that Bruce would never had the motivation to finish what his father started and fix Gotham.

And it wouldn't have made sense to have an over the top super-villain yet. Like Gordon says at the end, it's all about escallation. The villains will get more and more extreme as Batman becomes more infamous through Gotham. Scarecrow fitted the bill pretty well anyway.

Batman doesn't neccessarily need a villain like that all the time anyway. Year One is one of the most respected Batman comics and that had no super-villain. Often the best Batman stories are the detective ones which are much more scaled down. And Batman's villains are never as extreme as Spiderman's or Superman's anyway. It suits the style of Gotham.

But now, when I think about it, it's a quite lame movie, with not much happening. It's all nice to see Batman relationship to Gordon and stuff, but to be honest, the whole movie wasn't much more than a - as you said - teaser to restart the franchise, instead of telling a really good interesting story. And this time it's even more about style and prestige

I never said it was a teaser. It's about building the story up. Gotham starts very much like a normal corrupt city, all the way through, as he tries to rid the evil the violence escallates and we get the more crazy villains. And how is the movie about "style and prestige"? The movie has more depth than any other superhero movie and probably most action movies. The movie is tightly packed with different layers. The different sides to Bruce, fear, corruption, father figures, motivations, etc. Even the love story between Bruce and Rachael goes full circle through the movie.

And my "not much happening" I assume you mean "not enough action scenes", which is a personal preference. Batman has never been about that anyway. It's much more about characterization than other superhero stories.

I don't think, Nolan deserves lot credit for the movie, since all he did was putting his friend in the role of the fat cop. He is able to so much more as a director and just does himself disgrace to direct such a blockbuster without putting any of his own wit in it.

I can't identify what you're trying to say here, but I think I can grasp some of it. Nolan completely put his own style into it. He used the different narrative devices he became famed for after Memento, the characterization from Insomnia and many of the shots from that movie. The movie is very much a Nolan movie.

The fat cop comment isn't worth discussing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Aug 1 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #137

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

Stink Palm is right.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Aug 1 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #138

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 1 2006, 01:50 PM)
Hate to be the one to say it, but is there an actual link to the proper announcement. Rather than Aint it cool news' announcement of the announcement. What with AICN being the internet equivalent of "I heard off some bloke down the pub..."  laugh.gif

Yeah, I know - but can't find an official press release link, though its reported at Empire Online, MTV, and the like, so its pretty legit. Ain't it Cool does have the press release written in full though.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Aug 1 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #139

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Aug 1 2006, 02:15 PM)
Stink Palm is right.

I concur.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 1 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #140

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Who should play The Joker? Two (predictable) words. "The" and "Stath".

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Aug 1 2006, 02:32 PM
Post #141

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 1 2006, 03:26 PM)
Who should play The Joker?  Two (predictable) words.  "The" and "Stath".

Hmm...a bald Joker...

I'd say he'd make a better Silver Surfer. Wrapped in tinfoil.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 1 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #142

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 1 2006, 02:32 PM)
Hmm...a bald Joker...

I'd say he'd make a better Silver Surfer. Wrapped in tinfoil.

Every
comic book film should star The Stath.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Aug 1 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #143

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

Stath-Man.

EDIT: aka The Man of Stath.

This post has been edited by Crutch: Aug 1 2006, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Aug 1 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #144

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I could see the Stath in a Preacher movie...

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Aug 1 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #145

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

Herr Starr?

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 1 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #146

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 1 2006, 03:11 PM)
I could see the Stath in a Preacher movie...

Actually, when do we ever get who we think should play comic characters. Keanu as Constantine? McGuire as Spider Man? Bale as Batman? Bana as errr Banner?

More often than not its people we never really contemplate in these roles. More often than not they work. Maybe I'm being a bit too pessimistic about Ledger.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 1 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #147

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Ledger has the right mouth for it.

I think he can pull it off.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 2 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #148

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Stink_Palm @ Aug 1 2006, 01:26 PM)

Is this a genuine still from the film/promotional material? If so I reckon he'll look the part at least, this image seriously freaks me out. Really sums up much of what is great about the Joker from the comics, particular in and after The Dark Knight Returns.

+Quote Post
Stink_Palm
post Aug 2 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #149

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,456

QUOTE (maian @ Aug 2 2006, 06:44 PM)
Is this a genuine still from the film/promotional material? If so I reckon he'll look the part at least, this image seriously freaks me out. Really sums up much of what is great about the Joker from the comics, particular in and after The Dark Knight Returns.

Nah, it's just fan made. Looks awesome though.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Aug 2 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #150

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Stink_Palm @ Aug 1 2006, 01:26 PM)
Ledger wasn't my first choice, obviously, but i'm pretty damn excited by it. He certainly looks the part, and though he hasn't done much like this before (which is a good thing, I add), his performance in Lords of Dogtown is supposedly a pretty promising look at what he could pull off.

And, I mean, look at this:

That looks beyond awesome. Nolan is making sure he doesn't come close to Nicholson's performance from the first Batman. Ledger won't play the character as funny as Nicholson, he'll play a much more psychotic Joker, which is much more interesting and fitting of the Begins universe. And I'm fairly sure he won't dance to Prince... (worst scene ever)

Philip Hoffman is also rumoured for Penguin. If he's cast I don't think the world could take the awesomeness.

The Dark Knight is a fantastic title.

Yes yes yes, on all points. Apart from the dancing to Prince bit - the 'Partyman' scene is brilliant. It's hilarious. Entirely out of place with the rest of the film probably, but entertaining nonetheless.

I really liked Nicholson as The Joker, but if the characterisations in Batman Begins was anything to go by, then Nolan's take on the Grinny One ought to be nothing short of fantastic. And Ledger as a potential candidate for the role - I must say I am more than a little intrigued; I think casting someone as far away from the Nicholson persona is an obvious, but brilliant artistic choice. And that artwork is amazing - I'm almost gutted it isn't a geniune production still.

I think this is probably one of the first sequels I've found myself getting genuinely excited about.

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 04:32 AM