Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Dark Knight Rises, And the other Nolan Batman Films
logger
post Dec 18 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #436

Guests

Second highest grossing film of all time. There will definitely be a sequel of some kind.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 19 2008, 01:11 AM
Post #437

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Dec 18 2008, 12:44 PM) *
The rumours were initially already flying about Johnny Depp being in the role. Has another film not officially been confirmed then? I thought it was a given.

It's a given but not a certainty yet, if that makes sense. As Kev said, Warners are bending over backwards so that they can get Nolan on board, especially since Christian Bale has said that he probably wouldn't make another if Nolan isn't behind the camera, and, as such, no one has signed on for anything regarding a possible new film. They almost certainly will make a third one, they just haven't said as much.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jul 16 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #438

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Digital Spy's The Dark Knight Rises review.

A solid five stars (I've not read the article past the last paragraph). Sounds good!

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jul 17 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #439

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

The Dark Knight Rises is an anti-Romney conspiracy

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jul 17 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #440

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

He forgot to say it was a Commie plot.

ETA:

Empire give it 5 stars as well.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Jul 18 2012, 12:30 AM
Post #441

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

I can't wait. I bet the film is exactly like this.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Jul 21 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #442

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Really difficult to say much without being spoilery, but here goes...

I never expected it to be as good as The Dark Knight, but it's still a fantastic film and a fitting end to the trilogy. It's Bale's finest hour (well, almost 3 hours) as Batman.

Some of Bane's dialogue being muffled, and a couple of pacing issues aside (a couple of scenes, whilst still good), it is very much a great actioner that builds eventually into this big war/disaster movie, it keeps you feeling tense throughout, and Nolan has captured Gotham's desperation and fear perfectly this time, because, fuck, Bane does pretty much have the city bricking it. His odd voice goes from Darth Vader to Sean Connery to a posh drunk, but he's as freaky as Ledger's joker, and a very good villian. And strong, very, very, strong. Hardy is a mighty presence.

Hathaway will probably pretty much smash any doubt that she could pull it off, she makes a fine Selina Kyle, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic as Gotham Cop John Blake, and one of the few that still believes in Batman. He's in a lot of the film, as much as Bale, and (alongside Oldman) completely kicks arse at it.

For us nerds, are references to the history of Batman dotted throughout, those not in the trilogy, and a hugely satisfying revelation towards the end, and one that fits so well in my opinion (though some may be unhappy about the minor details).

All in all, this trilogy was superb. Well played, Nolan.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Jul 23 2012, 08:58 AM
Post #443

Death of The Party

Well, I thought it was ok. They could have done a lot more with the Bane character than they did, also I did not have one problem understanding him throughout the film, Oldman's Gordon mumbling into the ground however in the first 20 mins or so, I did. Anne Hathaway was a revelation, I've never liked her but she was the best thing in this by a mile next to Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The reveals will be nice for the regular film goer but anyone who's read their fair share of Batman comics or even played a few of the Video Games will figure stuff out easily enough.

All in all it was a decent action film but a little anti-climactic, it builds & builds but nothing really happens, or when it does it falls short of providing the punch you were expecting. I honestly think this film has been cut to bits, there were a few scenes where the editing just seemed off (me being the big expert), but that's how it felt. Nowhere near the Film it's been hyped to be, which will be unfair on it in the end as it is good. I'm really surprised by the reviews tough.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jul 25 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #444

I've literally just got in after seeing it.

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as The Dark Knight, but that's hardly a slight against it because TDK was so close to perfection it's practically impossible to top. It was a very, very good film. It certainly felt long, but I couldn't find any areas that felt like it could do without, so the length doesn't bother me (unlike, say, the third Pirates movie where you could have chopped out 40 minutes and lost zero plot).

I initially was worried about it being too big, because Batman is just a man and the trailer had football stadiums falling down and stuff. In the end though, it felt almost like it wasn't really about Batman. He didn't seem to be in it very much. I guess its message was Batman being a symbol of hope and showing that anyone can fight injustice, as the GCPD were pretty much the main reason the day was won. The ending backs that up too, with the potential for Blake to take up the Batman mantle if ever he becomes needed again (though I think anyone seeing this as an opening for a sequel are sorely mistaken).

There were a couple of lines where I just did not understand what Bane was saying, but they were few. The first time he spoke on the plane I just thought "What the Hell is with that voice!?" but by the end I really liked it. The Talia twist was nice, and I liked how it tied with Begins to make it seem like more than just an isolated adventure.

All in all, a great film and a great trilogy. I hope the next film tries to steer away from the feel and look of these, because it was pretty distinctive and I don't want them to feel like they're copying Nolan.

Oh, and the first time you see Batman, when all the lights are going out in the tunnel and the Dark Knight theme kicks in, gave me such a great feeling.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jul 25 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #445

Oh, also:

"Death... by exile."

Oh, Jonathan.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Jul 26 2012, 01:03 AM
Post #446

Death of The Party

I've seen it twice now to be sure. This is a not a good movie.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jul 26 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #447

QUOTE (Rua @ Jul 26 2012, 02:03 AM) *
This is a not a good movie.

Really? I thought the good far outweighed the bad.

I did spot a plot hole though, which I've not seen mentioned anywhere. So Bane and his gang are on motorbikes with that laptop running the program that takes eight minutes. Then Batman comes along and he's making all the tunnel lights go off, and the police sirens and the cars and the bikes all stop for a second and stuff. So it's clearly like an EMP or something, it's turning off anything electrical. So why didn't the laptop crash?

+Quote Post
Rua
post Jul 27 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #448

Death of The Party

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 27 2012, 12:09 AM) *
Really? I thought the good far outweighed the bad.

For the length of it they should have done so much more. There is a lot of nothing in this film. Perhaps I am reacting to the hype, but almost everything, every action sequence, every set-piece, every space waiting for a killer line, it all fell short for me. In fact I even cringed at some points. I think my actual favourite part was the cameo of Cillian Murphy.

It's ok. It's an ok film. I'm almost sure if it wasn't a Batman film & just a standard action movie, people wouldn't give too much of a shit about it.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jul 27 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #449

I'm not sure how many people will get the reference, but a several bits reminded me of the anime movie Patlabor 2.

In the film, several bridges in Tokyo are destroyed in a series of missile attacks, supposedly by Japan's own air force. The Army uses this as an excuse to take control and instills martial law, locking down the entire city centre. It's up to a small group of Police officers to figure out what's going on, whist avoiding arrest from their own military.

It's not similar enough to have been copied from it, but there's definitely a similar vibe at times. The Police even use old underground rail lines to get around, like the sewers in Batman.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Jul 27 2012, 02:21 PM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jul 27 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #450

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

I thought the idea if Gotham getting cut off was taken from Cataclysm/no mans land?

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 10:17 AM