Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Red Dwarf, Better dead than Smeg.
superfurryandy
post Dec 13 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (whitey @ Dec 13 2004, 06:15 PM)
I thought it went shit after series 3.

It started going downhill after series three, but the real decline set in after S5/6.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Dec 13 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #17

Varga Girl

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,531

QUOTE (whitey @ Dec 13 2004, 01:15 PM)
I thought it went shit after series 3.

I have to agree here...well, not shit exactly. But I thought the middle series were a bit ...not great. I like the later series more than most folks. While the writing etc etc may not have been up there, I felt that it was more like the earlier series in that there was more dialogue & relationships & less wacky adventures. (of course it's been awhile since I've seen them).

This post has been edited by rabbit57i: Dec 13 2004, 06:33 PM

+Quote Post
The Good Chap
post Dec 13 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #18

Guests

I remeber all the earliest rumours about the movie going back to series 6 during Craig Charles's trial, The Mirror reported that Hollywood was going to make a version of Red Dwarf with Ted Danson, Eddie Murphy, Dan Akroyd and somebody else, I forget who and when it was comfirmed that the film WAS being made thier was rumours about Jackie Chan and Maddona starring in it.

I was gutted at the state of RD7 & 8. All the great characterisation and brilliant lines had been replaced with supposed "Thigh slapping" comedy that characterised much of the BBC's output in the late ninties.

Although the myth that Rob Grant was the "funny" one was dispelled by Sky's The Strangerers.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Dec 13 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #19

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Dec 13 2004, 06:29 PM)
It started going downhill after series three, but the real decline set in after S5/6.

Whaaat? But Quarantine in series 5 was clearly the best one of whole eight series! And if you don't agree with me, you're all twats.*

* wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Dec 13 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #20

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

I actually think 3-6 are the best series. Although I really like the tone and feel of series 1 and 2 (as well as the music), it just wasn't very funny at all. While series 7 was just crap, and 8 was just bearable. Six hasn't had much rooting for yet, but I love episodes like Psirens, Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Legion. Although Quarantine is fabulous:

"Schopenhauer vas right, vouldn't you say? 'Life without pain has no meaning'. Gentlemen, I vish to give your lives meaning..."

+Quote Post
spacegurl
post Dec 13 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 2,345

i like series 1, not cos it was necessarily the best but purely for nostalgic reasons. i like quarantine too. smile.gif

+Quote Post
innercitysumo
post Dec 13 2004, 09:36 PM
Post #22

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,280

QUOTE (The Good Chap @ Dec 13 2004, 07:17 PM)
Although the myth that Rob Grant was the "funny" one was dispelled by Sky's The Strangerers.

It was a comedy?! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Dec 14 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #23

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

I really love Red Dwarf and have had all the so far released series on DVD shipped from the UK (they do sell them in Australia but usually 6 months later - and I'm impatient)

I think series 1 through 6 were all great. I do think they started to wedge in a few too many cheap one-liners in series 4-6 but the plots were fantastic so that's OK.

Series 7 is *just* watchable as a show in itself, but you have to pretend it's not actually Red Dwarf, it's just another show. Series 8 I actually could not watch. I just had to turn it off. I really could NOT even watch it!!

The problem was that they gave up on all the great character development and dialogue and focused on stupid special effects and un-funny one-line gags.

I think that it was better when Grant & Naylor were writing together. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that Rob Grant was the better writer (though I liked his book better than Naylor's too) but maybe just that they were better as a duo than to leave one of them solo.

As to an American remake - I don't know about Ted Danson and all that lot - but there have been two different American Red Dwarf pilots made. Neither made it past the pilot stage though. Read Robert Llewellen's "The Man in the Rubber Mask" for an amusing account of the first US pilot.

The film? Well we will just have to wait and see I guess.

Cheers
AC

+Quote Post
ronlogan1977
post Dec 14 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #24

Walking the Plank

Member No.: 2,357

Series 6 is my favourite. Best episode though is probably Queeg.

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 14 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #25

Avid Gamer

Member No.: 2,732

less wacky adventures

I thought wacky was good!!

Whaaat? But Quarantine in series 5 was clearly the best one of whole eight series! And if you don't agree with me, you're all twats.*

Personaly i thought the whole of series 5 was excellent, and yes, quarantine was very good (Mr flibble is VERY cross!).But how good were episodes like Angels and deamons and back to reality?!!

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Dec 15 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #26

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

My favourite series' were 2 - 5.
6 was ok. but wasn't brilliant.
However, thanks to Mr. Naylor & a further 2 series, series 6 is looking alot funnier in comparison.

Fave episodes: Quarrantine, Marooned, White Hole, Queeg, Future Echoes.

+Quote Post
wherearethezombi...
post Dec 15 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #27

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,628

red Dwarf is a strange one for me, I loved watching it as I grew up, can't remember the age at which I discovered it but it was pre 10 years old. I think this is why I love it way more than it maybe deserves me to - because I grew up with it. I'd love to see a movie - every series were excellent - FACT!

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 15 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #28

Avid Gamer

Member No.: 2,732

i know what you mean about growing up with it, it was a childhood classic for me aswell, how good was it when you saw the odd video that had a 15 certificate??!!Well it was good for me as i wasnt allowed to watch many things that i was deemed too young for!
Allthought even with that it just failed to interest me come series 7&8!

+Quote Post
Douglas Nicol
post Dec 15 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #29

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,843

I'm obviously in the minority here but I liked Series 8, though I was not at all impressed with series 7, though seeing Kryten blaze through Jane Austen land in a Russian tank is a classic moment. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Dec 15 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #30

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Dec 15 2004, 10:12 PM)
I'm obviously in the minority here but I liked Series 8, though I was not at all impressed with series 7, though seeing Kryten blaze through Jane Austen land in a Russian tank is a classic moment. smile.gif

Are you still a teenager?
Please don't take offence if you aren't. I just thought that, as discussed earlier in the thread, if you grow up with something, you have a fonder connection with it. smile.gif

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 12:27 PM