Douglas Nicol
post Dec 15 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #31

Four Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,843

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Dec 15 2004, 10:20 PM)
Are you still a teenager?
Please don't take offence if you aren't. I just thought that, as discussed earlier in the thread, if you grow up with something, you have a fonder connection with it.  smile.gif

No, I'm 33 years old, I just felt that season 8 was an improvement on 7, though that might have been partially due to getting Rimmer back as a regular cast member.

By the way, does anyone here play tabletop RPG's, since there's a Red Dwarf RPG available.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Dec 15 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #32

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Dec 15 2004, 10:22 PM)
No, I'm 33 years old, I just felt that season 8 was an improvement on 7, though that might have been partially due to getting Rimmer back as a regular cast member.

Oh, I totally agree. 8 is better than 7. also because KK is less annoying & now established, the comedy timing is better (studio audience), & they got rid of the shit 'film like' quality of series 7.
Yes series 8 is better, but it's still the second worse red dwarf series.

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Dec 15 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #33

Infamous Wooden Spider

Member No.: 2,273

The whole thing with bringing Kochanski into ruined it a little for me. The whole point of the show was that it was blokes bumming around in space without know what the fuck they were doing. And Kochanski was this unobtainable goal that Lister was somehow destined to meet again and live happily ever after. I still can't think of anyone other than Claire Grogan as the real Kochanski.
The character in the later series was mostly just annoying to me.

+Quote Post
Douglas Nicol
post Dec 15 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #34

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,843

QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 15 2004, 10:44 PM)
The whole thing with bringing Kochanski into ruined it a little for me.  The whole point of the show was that it was blokes bumming around in space without know what the fuck they were doing.  And Kochanski was this unobtainable goal that Lister was somehow destined to meet again and live happily ever after.  I still can't think of anyone other than Claire Grogan as the real Kochanski.
The character in the later series was mostly just annoying to me.

That was part of the issues I had with the Female cat in the proposed US series as well.

+Quote Post
Walsh
post Dec 16 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #35

Guests

Well the movie has some things going against it really, 1) its set post season 8, now season 8 was absolutly awful, as was season 7. I couldn't believe it when I watched the first episode of series 7 how wrong Naylor got it straight away, the whole comcept behind the show is Lister wants to get back to earth and wants more companionship (ie. kochanski ). So what do they do? Send him home straight away! It made the whole series pointless, Lister was home, he could go anywhere, he could have all the things he wanted, this more than anything showed me that Naylor really didn't have a clue about the series. This is the second thing the show has going against it, Naylor has written it!

Really now the film is looking more likely to dent red Dwarfs legacy even further rather than be the great film which everyone wants it to be. Which is a shame really.

Oh does anyone else think that Naylor sounds very arrogent and in the series 5 documentory feature? When talking about the director he says everything that she did was awful, never mentions that it was maybe his fault for not helping her or checking her background before hand.

+Quote Post
The Phantom
post Dec 16 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #36

Three Pinter

Member No.: 2,249

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Dec 15 2004, 10:27 PM)
& they got rid of the shit 'film like' quality of series 7.

I agree, that 'film like' or what is it 'soft lens' quality was a bad move, and it was good to see they had removed it for series 8.

Looking at Red Dwarf as a whole though, series 1-6 I really liked but series 7&8 were a let down, and as I think somebody said earlier, I shall only be buying the Series 7&8 DVD's to complete the Red Dwarf logo on the spines of my DVD's.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Dec 16 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #37

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (The Phantom @ Dec 16 2004, 11:58 AM)
I shall only be buying the Series 7&8 DVD's to complete the Red Dwarf logo on the spines of my DVD's.

No. don't do it. That's exactly what they want you to do!
I can quite happilly make a statement about my dislike of the last 2 series by having the 'RED DWAR' logo on my shelf.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Dec 16 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #38

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (Walsh @ Dec 16 2004, 12:29 AM)
Really now the film is looking more likely to dent red Dwarfs legacy even further rather than be the great film which everyone wants it to be. Which is a shame really.

Yes. I agree.

My prediction:
If the series trend is anything to go by, then the film will look fantastic (with the exception of a few bits of CGI), the plot line will continue to destroy the original red dwarf legacy, there'll be some good acting, some bad acting, some very nice lighting, & a mostly unfunny script. - apart from a few clever one-liners.

It's the future. (I've tasted it!)

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Dec 17 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #39

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Dec 16 2004, 10:17 PM)
No. don't do it. That's exactly what they want you to do!
I can quite happilly make a statement about my dislike of the last 2 series by having the 'RED DWAR' logo on my shelf.

hahahahahahaha laugh.gif

Those damned spines!!!
That's one of the reasons I keep importing every series from the UK.
The Australian releses don't have those spines!!
So since I bought the first series from the UK I just had to keep doing it to match up the spines.
But yes, as time has gone on I've been starting to think "am I really going to bother buying series 7 & 8??????"
Curse those spines!

Cheers
AC

+Quote Post
Marty
post Dec 17 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #40

Guests

What's all this about the film being set POST series 8? Where did that come from?
It's certainly not post 8 in the script, unless it's been re-written. Which would be a blessing because it was shit.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Dec 17 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #41

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

So you've read the script, Marty? I didn't think you were one of them showbusiness jobbers. Or do you have contacts in high places?

+Quote Post
Marty
post Dec 17 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #42

Guests

Naw, I wish!

Someone did me a favour.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 17 2004, 02:05 PM