Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Red Dwarf, Better dead than Smeg.
The Good Chap
post Dec 12 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Guests

If your here, reading this then it's fair to say your a fan of BBC's cult sci-fi comedy. If not you were probably miss led into believing that this is the thread about people of a dimminuitive size painted red (or perhaps red in the face from some sort of physical exertion) either way try the silly thread.

Still here. Good. Let smeg begin.

Thought I'd start this up as thier was a (relatively) popular thread (I do meen relatively) about Red Dwarf. More concerning The filem which as far as I'm aware has since stalled for reasons beyond my comprehension. All I do know is this:

*The film is set POST series 8 and is not a remake of the first series or adaption of the first book.

*All the cast are set to return including Mac McDonald as Captian Hollister.

*The plot follows the Simulant race on the hunt of the Dwarfers as they are the last remaining humans after a Simulant attacks wipes out Earth and the rest of humanity.

*The script was written by Doug Naylor (with help from Ed Bye and Paul "S-club 7/Red Dwarf 8" Alexander)

*The finished film may also feature a scene that was left out from the end of RD8 were the Red Dwarf crashes into the Earth gutting a huge warped smiley face in it's surface and destroying several landmarks (the white house and the Taj Mahal were mentioned). Leaving Rimmer exchanging insurance details several insurance companies.

So Dwarf, Smeg and all. Discuss!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ronlogan1977
post Dec 13 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Walking the Plank

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,357

I'm not too sure that a Red Dwarf movie would be very good on the evidence of the last 2 series. Series 7 wasn't very funny and Series 8 didn't make much sense.
I've been getting the DVD's and they're quality but I suspect I'll only be getting 7 and 8 to make the collection look pretty.

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 13 2004, 01:29 PM
Post #3

Avid Gamer

Member No.: 2,732

it was pub banter but i heard that the R.D film is going to be the biggest budget brittish film to date.I realy hope that doesnt mean they replace all the model ships with cgi ones, because i recon the models will look a lot better!

*The film is set POST series 8

why why why??!!! Everyone knows red dwarfs quality seriously declined after rimmer left, then kochanski came back to replace him, then the whole red dwarf crew came back.i mean what were they thinking?

Bought series 5 on dvd recently, v funny biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Dec 13 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #4

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

Series 5 was its zenith. But alas, it can never go back to that.

Did anyone here actually like the 7th and 8th series?

I'm a bit worried that they'll spend too much time and money on the CGI and not enough on the jokes - which is what 7 and 8 were missing, frankly.

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 13 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #5

Avid Gamer

Series 5 was its zenith. But alas, it can never go back to that. Did anyone here actually like the 7th and 8th series?I'm a bit worried that they'll spend too much time and money on the CGI and not enough on the jokes - which is what 7 and 8 were missing, frankly.

I couldnt agree more!

I know exactly what you mean about the 7th and 8th series aswell, they just wernt worth watching!I mean whats better. watching cat dance with some CGI robots or having a dialogue gag like "Theyve taken mr rimmer, SIR THEYVE TAKEN MR RIMMER"
"Quick lets get out of here befroe they bring him back!"

Series 7 and 8 are a dark page in the red dwarf history, which is why i was dishartned to hear the film will be post series 8.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Dec 13 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #6

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Dec 13 2004, 01:40 PM)
Did anyone here actually like the 7th and 8th series?

I read somewhere that they only made the last two series so that they would have enough episodes to sell 'on syndication' in the States. This would explain why the cast and crew seem to be merely going through the motions in the later episodes.

I gave up watching Red Dwarf regularly shortly after the beginning of series 7, and saw series 8 for the first time a few months ago, when it was repeated on satellite. I hadn't missed much.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Dec 13 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #7

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

QUOTE (SuperSaiyanStoner @ Dec 13 2004, 02:16 PM)
I know exactly what you mean about the 7th and 8th series aswell, they just wernt worth watching!I mean whats better. watching cat dance with some CGI robots or having a dialogue gag like "Theyve taken mr rimmer, SIR THEYVE TAKEN MR RIMMER"
"Quick lets get out of here befroe they bring him back!"

Exactly. It seemed like the writers (or was it writer?) suddenly realised after seven series that they'd set it in space and they'd better shoehorn some techie, futuristic crap in.

The point of Red Dwarf wasn't that it was a space comedy - it was a lack of space comedy (d'yer see what I did there?). Stick four grown men (ish) in a confined area and watch them wind eachother up with hilarious results. They lost sight of that in the later series, I think.

+Quote Post
fear_of_pop
post Dec 13 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #8

fuzzy little man peach

Member No.: 2,279

Yes, all they'd have to do is get rid of that lame actress who played Kochanski in the later series' and it would have a chance of being good.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Dec 13 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Dec 13 2004, 02:27 PM)
I read somewhere that they only made the last two series so that they would have enough episodes to sell 'on syndication' in the States.

Yup - they had to boost the total number of eps above 50 or summat.

The films gonna be shit, without a doubt - once Rob Grant left it all went downhill.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Dec 13 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #10

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

I was a Dwarf fan for years.

The red dwarf movie will be cool.
Why? cos it's a movie & it's red dwarf.
It will be better than series 7 & 8 combined.
It can NOT be better than series' 2 - 5.

The movie is delayed because they can't find anyone to fund it.
check out the Dougs Naylor statement here. (bottom of page)

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 13 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #11

Avid Gamer

It will be better than series 7 & 8 combined.

i hope so........i hope so!

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Dec 13 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #12

Avid Gamer

i think a lot of it will depend on why they are making it.

If they are making it because they have more ideas, but dont want to do another series then it could be ok.But lets just hope they arent making it because everything seems to have a film nowerdays and they think there is some money to be made.

(i use the word they quite liberaly, i just refer to whoever is in controll)

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Dec 13 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #13

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (SuperSaiyanStoner @ Dec 13 2004, 03:43 PM)
i think a lot of it will depend on why they are making it.

If they are making it because they have more ideas, but dont want to do another series then it could be ok.But lets just hope they arent making it because everything seems to have a film nowerdays and they think there is some money to be made.

(i use the word they quite liberaly, i just refer to whoever is in controll)

I think they are making a film because They want to.
If it were me, I'd love to make a movie.

+Quote Post
innercitysumo
post Dec 13 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #14

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,280

The show itself was great from I-VI...all the episodes were good and the show didn't fall down to the trap of 'can they pull it off a third/fourth/fifth/sixth time?' as many shows have. Series VII was a BIG disappointment and whereas VIII had some funny lines, the quality of the show had lessened greatly. This is probably down to Rob Grant leaving. Backwards is a better book than Last Human, so maybe he was always the better one comedywise.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Dec 13 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #15

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

I thought it went shit after series 3.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »