> The Harry Potter Thread, General Thread
Amazongirl
post Dec 21 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #16

Jaffacake Scoffing Geekgirl

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,333

Mugglenet is great, I like reading the funny quotes form the books

Those who have known me here for years will know im huge Harry potter book fan and spend most of my time in a long serious convosation about them and spaced with my best mate.

Ill be reserving mine asap in whsmiths (like most of ther country) ASAP but there really isnt any point as
A) every where will have billions of copies
B) stupid deposit (still am reserving though)
C) Me and my best mate have been in the front of the queue for all the hp films and last book(waited outside for about 5 hours and was 5+6th to get books). The local newspaper reporters know us well now because of it (they remember us)and anoy us with threatening of taking photos.

Dead excited, have loads of theories im ready to discuss
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 21 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #17

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 21 2004, 02:33 PM)
Cause it's a first edition, which means it will probably have a load of misprints in it and I can then sell it on eBay for a few quid.

Won't there be like millions of them though? I'm sure my copy of Goblet of Fire is a first edition - wos the difference? huh.gif

+Quote Post
Baz
post Dec 21 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #18

Crumpet?

Member No.: 2,244

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 21 2004, 04:54 PM)
Won't there be like millions of them though? I'm sure my copy of Goblet of Fire is a first edition - wos the difference?  huh.gif

First editions are always worth shed loads more. As far as I'm aware, you can only get the first editions from the publisher, but I may be wrong.

There the first print of the book, and they have always been misprints in all the first editions of the HP series and even with the first book, some of the pages were upside down!!

They'll be a few thousand copies of first editions I'm sure. Lot's of people claim on eBay that they have first editions, but there not. You can tell by the serial number printed on the inside of the book, but I can't rememebr how the numbers run.

I think it's 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 etc or xxxxxxxxx,321 for first editions.

EDIT:

Just taken this from the Bloomsbury site

First Editions

How can I tell if I have a first edition copy of any of books?
On the copyright page of the book, located in the pages at the beginning of the book before the story starts, there will be a row of numbers at the bottom of the page. The numbers run consecutively from right to left. The number at the furthest right hand side tells you the edition number. The row of numbers in a first edition looks like this:
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Or if it reads, for example, 20 19 18 17 then this is the 17th printing.
UK first edition copies of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix only (hardback and special edition versions but not large print) have the words First Edition printed in place of the numbers.

All the hardback first editions except for the first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone have dust jackets.

Which first edition books are worth the most money?
The first editions of the original hardbacks (not the large print or special editions) have fetched the largest sums at auction. The special editions can also be worth a little more than the cover price. Speak to an auction house or antiquarian book dealer for more information or a valuation.

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Dec 21 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #19

Infamous Wooden Spider

Member No.: 2,273

Mu copy of 'Order of the Phoenix' says it's a first edition and i bought that from Amazon. I think i'll buy my copy from there again and save a little money.

+Quote Post
voodoolinzi
post Dec 21 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #20

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,484

Ooooh! I like this thread! biggrin.gif
I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, and have been since the first one came out and one of my primary school teachers told me I should read it. My fave is Prisoner of Azkaban, although I'm not really sure why. I was disappointed with the films, from a purely selfish point-of-view, because they we're nothing like I imagined it should be. But I still love the books, and can't wait for the 6th one!

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Dec 21 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #21

Infamous Wooden Spider

Films never are, but considering the limitations of runing time and having to work with so many child actors the films turned out about as well as anyone could have hoped. Especially 'the Prisoner of Azkaban'.

+Quote Post
voodoolinzi
post Dec 21 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #22

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,484

I think that was the main problem... the running time limits. The next film (Goblet of Fire) was going to be seperated into two seperate films, but the new director has apparently now decided that it should just be one film. They'll never fit everything in - book 4 is about 800 pages long! wacko.gif

This post has been edited by voodoolinzi: Dec 21 2004, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Dec 21 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #23

Infamous Wooden Spider

It would have been nice to get extra long extended versions on the dvds Lord of the Rings style. I think the next HP film is gonna be the longest of the 4 but there's stil so much they're gonna have to cut.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Dec 22 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #24

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

I think the reason that the first edition of the first book is worth so much is that there were only about 200 copies printed. The print runs of the subsequent books were much larger. First editions of the Order of the Phoenix are going for about eight quid on abebooks.co.uk at the moment.

I'm not sure how I'm going the get Half-Blood Prince. I've ordered all the previous books from Amazon, and had them delivered on the morning of publication, but the post is getting so unreliable these days that I'm not sure I'lll risk it.

+Quote Post
Baz
post Dec 22 2004, 10:33 AM
Post #25

Crumpet?

QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 21 2004, 06:22 PM)
It would have been nice to get extra long extended versions on the dvds Lord of the Rings style.  I think the next HP film is gonna be the longest of the 4 but there's stil so much they're gonna have to cut.

Chris Columbus, director of the first 2 films is supposed to be working on re-releasing them in there full un-cut forms.

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Dec 22 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #26

Infamous Wooden Spider

QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 22 2004, 11:33 AM)
Chris Columbus, director of the first 2 films is supposed to be working on re-releasing them in there full un-cut forms.

Ooh, that's good news. Are there more deleteted scenes than the ones included in the extras do you know?

+Quote Post
Baz
post Dec 22 2004, 10:42 AM
Post #27

Crumpet?

QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 22 2004, 10:38 AM)
Ooh, that's good news.  Are there more deleteted scenes than the ones included in the extras do you know?

There are a few.

I remember Rik Mayall being very pissed off because he played Peeves and filmed all his scenes etc, and then was cut from the film altoghter, not pleasing his kids!!

I want to see that put back in the film as I've always seen him as playing Peeves when reading the books.

EDIT:

Just had a quick look on a few Potter sites, and The 6th book has already shoot to the top of the best sellers list in the U.S, and it only went on pre-order release yesterday!

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Dec 22 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #28

Infamous Wooden Spider

Didn't Peeves appear in one of the first 2 films? I seem to remember him throwing things from a rooftop but don't think it was Rik Mayall. I guess that must have been the 2nd film or just in my head.
Still, that's a release to look forward to. Now if only Alfonso Cuaron were to do the same thing...

+Quote Post
Baz
post Dec 22 2004, 01:24 PM
Post #29

Crumpet?

QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 22 2004, 12:44 PM)
Didn't Peeves appear in one of the first 2 films?  I seem to remember him throwing things from a rooftop but don't think it was Rik Mayall.  I guess that must have been the 2nd film or just in my head.
Still, that's a release to look forward to.  Now if only Alfonso Cuaron were to do the same thing...

No Peeves isn't in the released version of the first 2 films, unless you've seen a different cut. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Dec 22 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #30

Infamous Wooden Spider

QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 22 2004, 02:24 PM)
No Peeves isn't in the released version of the first 2 films, unless you've seen a different cut.  huh.gif

Maybe it was a deleted scene. Once again i am left cursing my terrible memory in a post.

+Quote Post

72 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:12 PM