Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GIG: Green Day, Nottingham Arena - 27/01/05
Baz
post Jan 28 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #1

Crumpet?

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,244

Well I've been looking forward to this gig for ages. I've been a massive fan of Green Day for years now and I've seen them live many time. There one of the only live bands I've seen that have been fantastic every time. The last time I saw Green Day was a Reading a couple of years ago (I think it was either 2002 or 2003?) and that was the best I'd ever seen them at, totally awesome and I never thought they'd be able to top that performance. But I was wrong.

Ok so I'll start with the support band who were New Found Glory. I actually didn't know who was supporting till I got to the gig and was surprised to find that it was only one band. They cam on around 7.30ishand played for around 45 minutes. At this time, the arena was only a quarter full and to be honest, only a hand full of people seemed interested in watching the support, who by no means were bad, they were quite good and are quite a big band in there own right. But to night they were playing second fiddle to Green Day, so in all honesty, they had no chance.

So then, on to the main act. First of I must say that the stage looked great, and even better was the fact that the crowd barriers were in a semi circle, with a long cat walk type part of the stage going right up to the crowd. This set up was good as I was right near the front.

So the lights go down, the and six Green Day flags rise up at the back of the stage to much cheering and shouting, and then in the shadows we see the band emerge. Billy Joe, runs straight to the front of the stage and the band kick of with American Idiot, and as can be expected, the crowd went mad. After this a bit of friendly banter with the crowd, Billy Joe introduces the band and then does the usual getting the crowd to repeat his chanting. The next couple of songs that follow this were, 'Jesus Of Suburbia' and 'Holiday'.

After some more chanting and banter, Billy gets the crowd singing Football songs, Although I can't remember which one (tongue.gif ) and then kicks into 'St Jimmy' closely followed by one of there classic songs, 'Longview'.

At this point I must say that during some of the songs they had pyrotechnics going off all over the place, including flames thrower things, and explosions. By this time the crowd is in full swing. The next song to grace us was 'Hitchin' A Ride', which is a personal fav of mine. During this performance of the song, Billy and Mike both take advantage of using the cat walk at the front of the stage. This was truly fantastic as even though there was about 3 rows of people in front of me, I could still reach over and grab both Billy Joe and Mike. As well as the banter after the song, the banter while the songs were being played was great. Stopping songs half way through to get people sing the rest of the lines and also getting them to count in the next verse, with a 1,2, 1,2,3,4 was great and what else was great was playing the crowds of against each other. Getting one side of the arena to sing on bit, and then getting the other side to boo them and vice versa. Very funny and good entertainment.

After all this madness, Green Day do there usual thing at gigs where they'll play 'Brainstew' / 'Jaded' and then go straight into 'Knowledge'. But as always, half way through the song, they stop and drag 3 people out of the crowd to play the rest of the songs for them, which i think is great and is always very funny when someone form the crowd starts showing off when on stage.

After this we are treated to probably Green Days best known song, 'Basket Case', which gets everyone singing along. We then get 'She', 'King For A Day' and 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' before a very cool cover of Lulu's Shout, which involved and massive sing along which was ace. Following this, another fav of mine and good song to dance too, Minority', which once again involved Billy being right at the end of the cat walk singing with the crowd. Following this we get 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' and 'When I Come Around' which both once again become a massive sing along.

And then it all ends. The band thanks the crowd, the lights go off and the band disappear of stage.

Of course everyone knows it's not the end of the gig, and within a few minutes, the band are once again back on stage. the next song they perform is a cover of Queens, 'We Are The Champions' which was truly awesome and had everyone singing and clapping along. right at the end of this song, two big explosions happen and shoot into the air are thousands of red and white paper bits with Green Day written on them. Now if you were standing and at the front of the barriers right near the stage, you got totally covered in paper. Being all hot and sweaty, is just stuck to every part of your body. There was so much of it, it was like a freak snow blizzard, you couldn't see anything.

After the cloud of paper was clearing, only Billy was left on stage with his guitar, right at the front of the cat walk again, where he began playing 'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)', which once again, got a massive sing along too. Once the song had finished, Billy once again thanked everyone for coming and left he stage. This time the gig was finished.

So hot and very sweaty, I started to make my way outside, to get the bus home. I never thought they'd be able to top the last time I saw them at Reading a few year back, but they did and once again, they are still one of the only bands I've seen and loved that have been fantastic every time I've seen them live.

If your going to one of the shows then your in for a real treat, and if your not going to the shows, then I suggest you try and get a ticket if there are any left!

Bad points

Now I did have a few bad point about last night, but nothing to do with the bands performance.

First off, I only saw one other person who had Green Day t-shirt on (apart from me) that wasn't one of the tour ones they were selling. Also the price of the t-shirts on sale at the gig were expensive! 18 for a t-shirt! I remember when I'd only pay around a 5 for a t-shirt, 10 at the most!

One last thing, people who are over 6'1 and have big mop top hair cuts, shouldn't be allowed to stand at the front! tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ohio_is_for_love...
post Jan 28 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Genius Of Love

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,871

Yeah, i saw green day at leeds fest, only one thing was annoying, waiting for the people from the audience to go up on stage and get ready to play but it was still good biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
paulaboz
post Jan 29 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #3

www.respectatladbrokes.com

Member No.: 2,464

thanks for the review, you have given me the goosegogs - im seeing green day for the 3rd time on the 8th of feb then again in june and cant wait, wasnt sure if they would top the last 2 times ive seen them, but i cant wait to find out.

Thanks, youv'e made a green day fan immensely happy

+Quote Post
Philipo
post Jan 30 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #4

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,572

Wow Baz. I am 100% jealous. I was at work this weekend so i couldent go. But i saw Green day at Leeds festival last summer and i agree that they are amazing live.

I like to think that spaced fans are also into greenday

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 11:19 PM