> 24, New Series
WiseJoeyD
post Jul 18 2005, 01:35 PM
Post #226

Rally ye! They are but girls with teddies

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,346

[/Thoughtful Moan]

...having said that....that bit with the EMP was good!

[Does Mike's face when he passes TA entry exam]

This post has been edited by WiseJoeyD: Jul 18 2005, 01:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Svein
post Jul 18 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #227

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Member No.: 3,252

It was pretty cool...

I also loved the ending... extremely well done!

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Jul 18 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #228

But as post #225 ....

(wait..... a Star Wars reference?! Or was that "TK421".....and is it unhealthy that I remember that?!)

... moaned...

(I've switched to Afternoon mode...where I'm calmer, with mild schziopehrenia issues)

...I still didn't like the actual tone. Though I now know what crashing 3 terrorsist movies together and turning it into a show now looks like*

*American-Spanish agents with a slight paunch and an obsession for Mexican football?!

+Quote Post
Svein
post Jul 18 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #229

I thought it was incredibly well done... the best season yet... but that's just me!

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Jul 18 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #230

QUOTE (Svein @ Jul 18 2005, 04:15 PM)
...but that's just me!

...funnily enough an utterance by a fellow member of staff when asking if I could make out vomit on the toilet seat in the men's toilets in work.....

"No"
"oh.then it's just me"

Which suggests....'problems'.

[Topic]*
Season 1 was reshown on BBC. Granted on BBC at 2 in the morning but nonetheless, it was shown with no ads. Good. Saw Season 3. Liked, as I said, the focused last half of the series. Season 2.....well aside from nina making a new slogan for Mastercards

"A bouquet of flowers for your hay-feverish mother-in-law 10
A tazer for next doors dog 100
Slashing open the neck of the infidel informant? Priceless"

it was a bit random and PR for Iraq.

*I've gone native...using ironic/oxymornic tags to, well, be a bit funny really

This post has been edited by WiseJoeyD: Jul 18 2005, 03:19 PM

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jul 18 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #231

Member No.: 3,514

The ending to season four was epic, no question.

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Jul 18 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #232

QUOTE (Ingram @ Jul 18 2005, 05:39 PM)
The ending ... was epic

Musically?!

Emotionally?!

Cinematically?!

Co....you get the idea.

Me + Friend laughed, nervously, and then jeered the script writers as we realised what was happeneing.

It could have been epic if it'd been spread out a little (well, by at least another 6 eps!)

You see, the Chinese finally killed Jack

A storyline like that should have been huge. It follows years of Dirty Arabs trying to kill him/country (not necessarily in that order) and failing. then a slightly pissed off ex-head of Sony decides he needs punished.

So 15 minutes ...

(or was it only 10?! 10 minutes to kill off Jack and set up a conspiracy. Folks, it's that easy..no wonder the Arabs with 5 years planning got a 15 point Plan Of Death)

.... with no prior warning to the audience was stupid. You'd followed a character 3rd person for 4 series then in his final moments you were taken off to a side room to miss out the (epic?!) preparations...watching some fucking ex-Terminator fall for the Teams plan. I actually thought they'd become the fucking C-Team when they all gathered round Jack's 'body'...would have been cool/stupid though!

PS the style of writing on many shows in the US belies their (whoah....what the fuck was that word with a 'b'?!) dubious morals and messages.

The Chinese are more moral than the US

They come across as evil but why?!
- Unlawful raid on their embassy which didn't know they had a terrorist on the premises. Well, aside from one shady individual, but who'd have a hit US show without one?!
- They had an innocent Chinese man shot in a bungled CTU raid.
- The ruthlessly go after the 'killer'. They stupidly shot their own man tho. Dampens their resulting moral crusade. Though for once CTU are called on their usual odd practices of 'detection' that's played as okay on Fox
- when they offer to send the guy off to a prison camp in Siberia, they actually hold by their promise and DON'T torture him and DON'T send him off. Not a needle/sensory deprivation helmet(Virtualboy™) in sight.

Basically what they actually do to get the 'killer' is far less than what CTU would have done. The writers maybe were slipping that message in but it needs to be reinforced. The Chinks did good!
Of course they were duped, by a shit-scared Chinese securtiy guard. But if they'd been able to tell it wasn't the CTU agents, the cameras would have seen who shot him. Plot hole.
However they were right going after the person who initiated the illegal raid.

Audrey is a self righteous bitch
She loves Jack, but within hours of seeing her ex husband, begins to 'stray'. For me this is questionable. Any wrong move (eg dump Jack)and she's in the plain wrong fo the audience. She'd fuck with Jack by leaving him and look a bit of a bitch.

The script writers then try and take the focus off this by having Jack do his job in front of her. This involves power cables and nipple play with ex husband. Bad man.

So; Audrey's happy for him to kill 20 Arabs and torture his way through her siblings in the first 8 hours........but nipple play with the ex, in front of her, is off. It's important to know the rules!

Anyway, lots of to-ing anf fro-ing as Audrey wants to dump Jack, behind his back, for her ex husband, who likes his arm being stroked whilst recovering from...wait....he died later from a fatal plot device. It allowed cheating Audrey off the hook. Writers again hammer home "Jack do job=bad man".

Sadly manufactured (watch the eps when he seems to be fine....they jammed it in the same time they thought up the chinese thing. (Writers not trying to work out an arc for 4 eps let alone 12 of the first season))

Now it's sensible for her to hate Jack. When she breaks down at Jack's death though, I hope, because she realised what a bitch she was to him.

..and finally....to top off Season 4......

What the fuck was up with Chloe?!

+Quote Post
Svein
post Jul 19 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #233

I disagree... (with the whole Audrey thing)... I have been married, and no matter my feelings towards my ex, if I saw my current partner torturing her, I think I'd have second feelings about the relationship...

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jul 19 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #234

QUOTE (WiseJoeyD @ Jul 18 2005, 11:36 PM)
rambling

*bangs head on desk*

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Jul 19 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #235

QUOTE (Ingram @ Jul 19 2005, 02:18 PM)
head

Two can play this game!

I did enjoy the momentum-laden first 8 eps. Then when they saved the guy from being the number 1 internet download (just how many people were eager to see him die?! Seemed to be billions of fellow Americans since the 2nd part of his Plan bette on morbid curiousity)

Does anyone remember those rumours that no one would be beack for the 4th?! Kind of hilarious when you saw

Tony
Michelle
Chloe
Jack
Um......Palmer....er....well basically the entire principal cast.

Suggests they stumbled around trying to up ratings (did it suffer badly in the ratings when it was shown?)

This post has been edited by WiseJoeyD: Jul 19 2005, 05:35 PM

+Quote Post
meh
post Aug 8 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #236

special agent

Member No.: 3,625

Fuck. king. hell. What an ending that was, it was worth the wait though I'm still unsure if it was the best ending in 24 history or just fantastically ridiculous! Either way I feel suitably sated, I loved the melodramatic cheese just dripping off the whole thing... its what 24's all about!

Hope he phones Kim though and gives her a heads up to the fake death so her and one hand man don't come back and ruin it all with a "thats not my daddy!"

Anyhoo just as an after thought, does anyone else now want Tony's babys? Just me then...

+Quote Post
meh
post Aug 8 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #237

special agent

Member No.: 3,625

Oh and sorry to double post but just had to mention this...

QUOTE (Ingram @ Jul 19 2005, 02:18 PM)
*bangs head on desk*

made me nearly wet my pants laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Aug 8 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #238

QUOTE (meh @ Aug 9 2005, 12:34 AM)
Oh and sorry to double post but just had to mention this...
made me nearly wet my pants  laugh.gif

Why thankyou.

On a more 24 note, not only do I have the boxset but I also loved the ending. Much to everyones criticism. wink.gif

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Aug 9 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #239

I bang head with much less provocation (....!).

Ingram. Your avtar of Seth makes me falter in my annoyance at anyone who dislikes people who're unable to fit a minor essay into 2 lines, and slaggs them off for trying to flesh out their argument.

eg

My first post on Season 4: COuld have been short glossing over the main points

Your reply would have been short but dismissive of my misgivings

My reply would have tried to elaborate

too late, already the debates movd onto Tony's sugar Daddy status.

ad infinitum on every other thread.

Anyway, I was just fleshing out the points. I accept, and indeed recind, my annoyance at the Audrey Post Feminist thread after reading Sven's interesting opinion.

And hey, if you can't type a 4 page whopper of criticising texts after 18 hours of TV then what was it all for?!*

*Sowing seeds of sub councious hate of Chinese?!**

**Anyone notice in Lost the derisive portrayl of the Korean couple.......is this a trend in TV now?! Slag off Far Easterns (Middle East ran out of good stereotypes to shoot long ago)!

This post has been edited by WiseJoeyD: Aug 9 2005, 05:25 PM

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Aug 9 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #240

QUOTE (WiseJoeyD @ Aug 9 2005, 06:24 PM)
who dislikes people who're unable to fit a minor essay into 2 lines, and slaggs them off for trying to flesh out their argument.

I wouldnt go that far.

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 09:40 AM