Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 24, New Series
Svein
post Feb 13 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #316

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,252

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 13 2006, 02:32 PM)
See, you're miles ahead there, because I've yet to see Sean Astin show up. I look forward to it though.

You're right about the real time element going out the window thought WiseJoeyD. The ex-president gets shot, and withing about 3 minutes the TV stations are airing tributes to him. Not only is it incredibly fast for news to get to broadcast that quickly (and not even be an unconfirmed report, but an official release), but it's highly suspicious that those tribute VT packages were at the ready. Those news networks know too much, and Jack should start his search for answers there.

I disagree... I think the first TV report was about 6 minutes after the shooting. TV stations keep all this stuff on hard disk nowadays and any TV editor worth his salt would be able to put together a preliminary package... And all news stations are hacked into police radio...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Feb 13 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #317

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

Yeah, but logically, after the shooting took place they would have needed to call an ambulance. Let's give 24 the benefit of the doubt and say there was a doctor or paramedic in the building. He or she would have to carry out at least a preliminary assessment before calling a time of death. With a person as important as Palmer they would need to inform a load of people before they ran to the press. This would take more than 6 minutes.
Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the news networks are illegally listening to police radio. They would have to relay their eavesdropped information to someone high up to decide whether they run with it. Before broadcasting the news that an ex president has been murdered they would no doubt contact the relevant authorities to check on whether this is correct. The authorities would not confirm or deny that until they were ready to. No network will run with a story like that without confirmation. They may speculate over it happening, but it wouldn't be VT retrospective time yet. Factor in all the people walking up and down corridors going 'wow, this is really big. You'll have to give me a few seconds to take this in' and I think they'd be lucky to be running with that in 15 minutes flat, let alone 6.
It's silly to think about a fictional TV show in this much depth. The only way we'll settle this is to really assassinate a famous ex president and time it from gun shot to the first breaking of the story.
Anyone want to try this?

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Feb 13 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #318

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

Let's just say they have magical powers or a warlock did it.

Well, that's that mystery solved, next?

+Quote Post
Julie
post Feb 13 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #319

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

Jack Bauer did it. Questions?

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Feb 14 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #320

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Feb 13 2006, 04:07 AM)
I do hope Chloe does get ditched somewhere. The only expressions she can pull are 'panicked' and 'concerned' and both make her look like she's just been given a really hard maths problem to work out.

*gasp* Unbeliever.

First of all, it's called the Angry Gerbil Face and MLR owns the patent. Woe to you if you're on the receiving end. wink.gif And second, Chloe is indispensible because she never, ever fails to say exactly what's on everyone's mind, to their face, and lend a little bit of nervy realism to what otherwise gets increasingly far-fetched (though still entertaining) each season. Things were so very very boring w/out her in the middle of S4.

I've been reading more and more negative reactions to FLOTUS lately, it's interesting; I think it's a testiment to Jean Smart's talent that no matter how apeshit crazy she gets, she hasn't bothered me in the slightest. I can sort of see the DrisKid argument, too, but frankly ol' Jeannie would act that spastic little slip of a girl off the screen.

Casting SPOILERS: Cougars at the ready, folks, Kim is definitely coming back. AAAAARGH! Elisha is confirmed to return, as is William Devane. With guest appearances by Leland Palmer and Ponyboy Curtis! Er....ah, Ray Wise and C. Thomas Howell.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Feb 14 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #321

Hot Lips.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1709354,00.html

"When we started the show I was living in Toronto and I was so happy with my house.

That made me feel a bit sick.

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Feb 14 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #322

Rally ye! They are but girls with teddies

Member No.: 3,346

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 13 2006, 01:32 PM)
See, you're miles ahead there, because I've yet to see Sean Astin show up. I look forward to it though.

You're right about the real time element going out the window thought WiseJoeyD. The ex-president gets shot, and withing about 3 minutes the TV stations are airing tributes to him. Not only is it incredibly fast for news to get to broadcast that quickly (and not even be an unconfirmed report, but an official release), but it's highly suspicious that those tribute VT packages were at the ready. Those news networks know too much, and Jack should start his search for answers there.

At TVWithoutPity they joked you could tell Palmer as a Democrat cos you can see the FOx guy beaming away at his death. HAR HAR
[/belly laughs]

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 14 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #323

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

Watched episode 1 of Day 5 last night. Cor blimey - off to a flying start or what?

I'm not especially happy with what's happened to some major characters, but it's certainly going to be edge-of-the-seat viewing for the next 23 weeks.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Feb 14 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #324

Hot Lips.

See now, I think last night's episode over here sparked a very interesting debate.
Should Jack have let the canister go? I mean, obviously, it's Jack Bauer, he'll find another way. But aside from that, it really was there best chance for finding the other 19. I know there's no conceivable way I could do it, but it is interesting to think about. Also, I was pretty disappointed with the First Lady bailing out on her moral convictions.

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Feb 14 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #325

Member No.: 3,514

QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 14 2006, 12:46 PM)
See now, I think last night's episode over here sparked a very interesting debate. 
Should Jack have let the canister go?  I mean, obviously, it's Jack Bauer, he'll find another way.  But aside from that, it really was there best chance for finding the other 19.  I know there's no conceivable way I could do it, but it is interesting to think about.  Also, I was pretty disappointed with the First Lady bailing out on her moral convictions.

I think Jack's moral compass is very defined and he has a very acute sense of 'good' and 'evil', in comparison to more morally ambiguous characters throughout the show. It all stems from the fundamental debate in regards to loss of innocent life for a greater good, whereas CTU and the White House were adopting a much more utilitarian approach to their decision making, Jack's reaction to the ethical dilemma could only be to stop the immediate terrorist attack. In this case the 'evil' was the threat the mall and the obvious loss of life that would result in not stopping the terrorists to which, in hindsight, Jack will vehemently support in the next episodes.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Feb 14 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #326

Hot Lips.

Agreed.

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Feb 14 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #327

Member No.: 3,514

QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 14 2006, 03:04 PM)
Agreed.

biggrin.gif

Good stuff.

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Feb 14 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #328

Toasty

QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 14 2006, 04:46 AM)
  But aside from that, it really was there best chance for finding the other 19.  I know there's no conceivable way I could do it, but it is interesting to think about. 

The thing is technically, it did work. Terror Lackey #1 still had the trigger on him and it lead them right to the warehouse. Only problem is our Badger is a slippery fucker, yes he is. biggrin.gif With an almost ImhoTerror-like talent for being one step ahead of the game. Although considering Julian Sands finally appears next week, his time may be up. I predict a swift and sudden Michael Massee-like exit.

It was driving me NUTS, BTW, trying to figure out who Terror Lackey #1 was, until I realized just before the end that it was the actor who played Alma's husband on Deadwood. Eyyyy! Didn't recognize him without the pomaded coiff and pointy mustache.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Feb 14 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #329

Hot Lips.

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Feb 14 2006, 05:39 PM)
The thing is technically, it did work.  Terror Lackey #1 still had the trigger on him and it lead them right to the warehouse.  Only problem is our Badger is a slippery fucker, yes he is. biggrin.gif  With an almost ImhoTerror-like talent for being one step ahead of the game.  Although considering Julian Sands finally appears next week, his time may be up.  I predict a swift and sudden Michael Massee-like exit.

I love that you call him Badger, because I totally do too. Him and Mikey.

This post has been edited by Julie: Feb 14 2006, 09:40 PM

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Feb 14 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #330

Toasty

QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 14 2006, 01:40 PM)
I love that you call him Badger, because I totally do too.  Him and Mikey.

Mikey is Samwise in my house. laugh.gif But he could be either.

ETA: BTW, I was so ready last night for Audrey to leap up onto the conference table, smack Samwise around and go "Stupid fat hobbitses!" She came damn close.

This post has been edited by thirtyhelens: Feb 14 2006, 10:29 PM

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:36 PM