Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The American Office
Stella MM
post Mar 16 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #16

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,284

Ah, excellent. It's another Cornetto Deep Thought Review™! Keep up the good work, fella.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UNS
post Mar 16 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #17

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,313

Can we place bets on how long it is before cornetto is banned/leaves.

+Quote Post
Cornetto
post Mar 16 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #18

"Now in Bird Flu Flavour"

Member No.: 3,408

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Mar 16 2005, 07:04 PM)
Ah, excellent. It's another Cornetto Deep Thought Review™! Keep up the good work, fella.

Everyone thinks I am Controversial even thought no one else likes it I say something and OH MY GOD! you scrutinize me because you spend all day on this forum instead of doing anything productive.

And Cornetto Deep Thought Review™ will be along later this year. cool.gif
Also you can't ban me because I have done nothing wrong apart from give my opinion, if you don't like it I DONT GIVE A FUCK THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Mar 16 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #19

No-one else thinks you're controversial, my love. Just you.

You are quite right, however, I do spend all my days on here instead of doing something productive. It's such a bitch to have a job that pays me to browse the internet on company time.

+Quote Post
Swonky
post Mar 16 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Mar 16 2005, 04:49 PM)
Canadian Review of Show

Also if you check this out you can watch a webcast of the first episode Tonight 8pm est...which I believe is 1am UK time.

Thanks for the linkage ! A good article, but this bit made me laugh in relation to Gervais' portrayl

"His performance is definitive," Carell says. "It really goes down in history, with your Ted Baxters and Archie Bunkers."

Ah yes, them....

I actually think the US version could work, it certainly doesn't have the whif of burning rubber and break fluid of the usual car crash TV, and I think it if were truly going to be awful the word would be out by now. It might even be...good !

+Quote Post
MissingPlanet
post Mar 16 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #21

Don't Call The Dustman

Member No.: 3,316

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 16 2005, 05:49 PM)
I hope it goes down better than the American Red Dwarf.

If it's being transmitted, it's already gone down better than the American Red Dwarf.

Never been much of a fan of the British office either. Watching it just made me think "Am I like that guy?" and then "Oh God, I am. I can never go outside again", but then I am a lot more paranoid than your average bear.

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Mar 16 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (Cornetto @ Mar 16 2005, 07:24 PM)
Everyone thinks I am Controversial

Awww. That's so sweet...you capitalised it and everything.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Mar 22 2005, 02:36 AM
Post #23

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Here it comes, in just a few days... I didn't catch the webcast, but I did watch some clips, and from what I've seen (especially the clip on the IMDb index page right now), I am going to hate every moment of this show. Steve Carell's delivery is just way too showy. He's way too over-the-top. Where Ricky Gervais was earnest and sincere in his lechery and buffoonishness, Carell is a fricking cartoon character.

EDIT: Okay, so, I just finished watching the first episode, up on MySpace, and I am thoroughly disappointed. As in the clips, Carell is playing an overblown cartoon character, and where Gervais could make you squirm uncomfortably and yet keep your eyes glued to the screen, Carell's more "controversial" bits just made me cringe and bury my face in my hands in embarrassment. He's David Brent for the Ace Ventura crowd.

It's another wonderful example of the US entertainment industry finding a gem of a programme overseas, shipping it to our shores, and sucking all the life out of it.

This post has been edited by Omniscia: Mar 22 2005, 03:00 AM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 22 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #24

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I'm actually looking foward to seeing it. Mainly because of the casting. Steve Carrell (Brick Tamland from Anchorman) in the David Brent part and Rainn Wilson (Arthur from Six Feet Under) in the Gareth Keenan role. Their both fine comic actors and if anyone can make this transfer work, I think they'll have the best shot.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Mar 22 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #25

There's an interesting article from yesterday's Observer which suggests that Gervais worked with Steve Carrell to make the performance of Brent more suitable for an American audience.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Mar 22 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #26

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 22 2005, 02:36 AM)
I just finished watching the first episode, up on MySpace, and I am thoroughly disappointed. As in the clips, Carell is playing an overblown cartoon character, and where Gervais could make you squirm uncomfortably and yet keep your eyes glued to the screen, Carell's more "controversial" bits just made me cringe and bury my face in my hands in embarrassment. He's David Brent for the Ace Ventura crowd.

It's another wonderful example of the US entertainment industry finding a gem of a programme overseas, shipping it to our shores, and sucking all the life out of it.

I saw the webcast and you're right-He's not humanising the character enough. However I did find some aspects funny, some of the jokes I actually laughed at. I think you really need to distance yourself from the original office, and also from the notion of it being a documentary-as that really doesn't come across in this version.

Also, the American Tim and Dawn are immensely unlikeable and there's no chemistry there at all.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Mar 22 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE (Cornetto @ Mar 16 2005, 07:24 PM)
Everyone thinks I am Controversial even thought no one else likes it I say something and OH MY GOD! you scrutinize me because you spend all day on this forum instead of doing anything productive.

And Cornetto Deep Thought Review™ will be along later this year. cool.gif
Also you can't ban me because I have done nothing wrong apart from give my opinion, if you don't like it I DONT GIVE A FUCK THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO.

wub.gif

Don't worry, you'll grow out of it.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Mar 22 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #28

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

hee hee...you so funny andy wub.gif

+Quote Post
ronlogan1977
post Mar 22 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #29

Walking the Plank

Member No.: 2,357

It's not looking as bad as I thought it was going to. There's a lot of talented people working on it and it does look as if it will be substantially different to the original.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 22 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #30

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 22 2005, 02:36 AM)

Ahh, we do it to ruining exports is not a phenomenon limited to the yanks. Sometimes things are just lost in translation

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:17 AM