8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The American Office
Ingram
post Jun 16 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #76

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,514

Casting is better than I imagined, I thought it would be a bit more typical American. Dawn as a complete bimbo, but I was pleasantly surprised. They haven't missed the point, which is nice.

Luke, she does look a bit like Abby, but Maura Tierney is much cuter. There again I am a big E.R. fan, take from that what you will.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Jun 16 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #77

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Jun 15 2005, 05:14 PM)
Anyone got a Babel Fish?

I understood him....sorta. It's a League of Gentlemen quote of sorts. He was playing on "local" comment.

+Quote Post
shinyelvenqueen
post Jun 17 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #78

Bad.

Member No.: 4,009

Why oh why did they do the amex office? have these people got nothing better to do? ricky gervais is genius, leave him to it.

why replace the likes of

and

the jelly is genius.

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jun 17 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #79

I am disappointed with the way that Tim's character has been exported. The first episode, with basically the same script, was interesting especially seeing what I believed was the cast emulating a lot of the British version - which simply won't work as the series progresses. Martin Freeman is not a genius among actors, I would go so far as to say that he is fairly mediocre, but his mannerisms and attitude in The Office were hilarious and made the series. Seeing the American "Jim" basically copying these was slightly odd and actually inforced a belief in me that Freeman is much better than I give him credit for. Either that or the character is so innately British in his manner that the American version will only work on an original script.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Jun 18 2005, 11:01 AM
Post #80

Guests

QUOTE (Ingram @ Jun 17 2005, 11:22 PM)
Martin Freeman is not a genius among actors, I would go so far as to say that he is fairly mediocre

Ooooh - controversial.

Although I agree up to a point, more competent than medicore - also applies to Lucy Davis.

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jun 18 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #81

Well having not seen "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" I am basing my judgement on pretty much everything else he has done. In TV the more recent "The Robinsons" and of course "The Office", in film "Ali G Indahouse". From those I can't really rate him, what I can say is that in "The Office" he shines through and is thoroughly enjoyable.

This post has been edited by Ingram: Jun 18 2005, 01:51 PM

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jun 18 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #82

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

QUOTE (Ingram @ Jun 18 2005, 02:50 PM)
Well having not seen "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" I am basing my judgement on pretty much everything else he has done.  In TV the more recent "The Robinsons" and of course "The Office", in film "Ali G Indahouse".  From those I can't really rate him, what I can say is that in "The Office" he shines through and is thoroughly enjoyable.

True, but his best thus far has certainly been Hicthchiker's, he is excellent.

And why the fuck haven't you seen it?

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jun 19 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #83

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 18 2005, 04:16 PM)
True, but his best thus far has certainly been Hicthchiker's, he is excellent.

And why the fuck haven't you seen it?

A combination of bad reviews, other better films out at the time, and lethargy.

+Quote Post
cky2k
post Jun 20 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #84

Burning Beard

Member No.: 2,422

I thought that it was the biggest (& weirdest) pile of shite i have ever seen. It was horrible, unfunny and unnecessary to say the least. It had none of the good elements from the orginal. They even managed to take out the cool time lapse cuts of random printers and phones ringing, I loved all that from Gervais' orginal masterpiece. They've runined it!!

Sorry if i'm sounding OTT but it was horrible.

This post has been edited by cky2k: Jun 20 2005, 02:54 PM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jun 20 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #85

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

It's got an excellent cast; Steve Carell is unbelievably funny in Anchorman and Rainn Wilson was brilliant as Arthur in 'Six Feet Under'.

A portion of the humour was lost, not much through translation (like the TA/Deputy Sheriff switch) rather mainly through odd and unnecessary script changes.

In the jelly scene it isn't mentioned that Dwight (Gareth) has a phobia of jelly, which makes the whole stunt seem a little pointless.

All in all, not bad just pointless.

I guess the makers presume Middle America won't watch British comedy, but surely if it was on a more available channel than BBC America people would tune in? It's clear the tastemakers like it (see last year's Globes) so why not the average American? They won't stop going on about Monty Python.

Anyway this is rambling now.

It was OK and I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if I hadn't seen the original (like most of America).

Still, Jim? Woof!

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jun 20 2005, 06:03 PM
Post #86

From what I understand, a large proportion of the American audience that has seen the British one doesn't like the new American version. Although I suppose 'translating' it for a far greater audience may have some appeal.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jun 20 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #87

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (Ingram @ Jun 20 2005, 07:03 PM)
From what I understand, a large proportion of the American audience that has seen the British one doesn't like the new American version.  Although I suppose 'translating' it for a far greater audience may have some appeal.

I'm sure most Americans (sorry for generalising) would have no problems watching the English original. The humour is universal, and if we can cope with fanny packs, snapple and jello in American sitcoms they can cope with references to English products and customs in 'The Office'.

The main thing is that the pain of working in an office is universal as are the characters - to warrant a remake it would have to have needed a far bigger overhaul than what they've done here.

I don't think the makers are giving their audience enough credit.

+Quote Post
Punkass
post Jun 20 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #88

GRACE!

Member No.: 3,791

I guess the makers presume Middle America won't watch British comedy, but surely if it was on a more available channel than BBC America people would tune in? It's clear the tastemakers like it (see last year's Globes) so why not the average American? They won't stop going on about Monty Python.

Exactly.

+Quote Post
chocolatebeenie
post Jun 21 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #89

We have ways of making you think

Member No.: 3,953

I saw it for the first time last night. I thought it was a good effort at least. I think if the American version had been the original and had aired when the UK version did, then we'd now be laughing at Ricky Gervais et al attempting to recreate it. We've just been conditioned to accept 'our' version as the standard, therefore nothing will ever be as good as the original for all those (myself included) who loved it first time round.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jun 21 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #90

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (chocolatebeenie @ Jun 21 2005, 07:45 PM)
I saw it for the first time last night. I thought it was a good effort at least. I think if the American version had been the original and had aired when the UK version did, then we'd now be laughing at Ricky Gervais et al attempting to recreate it. We've just been conditioned to accept 'our' version as the standard, therefore nothing will ever be as good as the original for all those (myself included) who loved it first time round.

Couldn't agree more, I tried to watch it objectively but I couldn't help thinking ''He's just taken those facial movements off of Martin Freeman'' or ''How is that meant to be Gareth''.

To be fair though, the American David Brent (Don't know his name) just isn't a annoyingly likeable as Ricky Gervais and he lacks his energy in the performance, it's more like he's trying to emulate Ricky Gervais' performance whilst he was going on first-hand experience and got it much more spot-on.

Otherwise it's better than I would have expected, don't think i'll be watching the whole thing though, i'm much to attached to the original.

This post has been edited by maian: Jun 21 2005, 08:04 PM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 08:43 AM