post Feb 25 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #16

You do scribble

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (pots @ Feb 24 2005, 06:34 PM)
ok time to move on.

"i hate keane because..."

off topic briefly - good choice of avatar pots! Genius.

I don't hate Keane, I'm afraid.

This post has been edited by Jessopjessopjessop: Feb 25 2005, 11:04 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
whixie
post Feb 25 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #17

Discombobulated

Member No.: 2,820

I hate Feeder.

I hate Keane.

There, that about says it all for me.

+Quote Post
The Phantom
post Feb 25 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #18

Three Pinter

Member No.: 2,249

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Feb 24 2005, 05:40 PM)
I don`t like Feeder because they embody everything wrong with rock.

sorry how do they do this?

also the comments someone made about them using Jon Lee's death to sell records, perhaps a little harsh. A huge amount of rock bands/musicians have sung about sadness/death/emotional love type stuff, it's just the way they express themselves. Grant Nicolas is a nice bloke and I don't think that it crossed his mind to cash in on his mates death.

+Quote Post
Space Pancakes
post Feb 25 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (The Phantom @ Feb 25 2005, 05:32 PM)

also the comments someone made about them using Jon Lee's death to sell records, perhaps a little harsh.  A huge amount of rock bands/musicians have sung about sadness/death/emotional love type stuff, it's just the way they express themselves.  Grant Nicolas is a nice bloke and I don't think that it crossed his mind to cash in on his mates death.

THANK YOU!! someone needed to say that!

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Feb 25 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #20

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (The Phantom @ Feb 25 2005, 01:32 PM)

also the comments someone made about them using Jon Lee's death to sell records, perhaps a little harsh.  A huge amount of rock bands/musicians have sung about sadness/death/emotional love type stuff, it's just the way they express themselves.  Grant Nicolas is a nice bloke and I don't think that it crossed his mind to cash in on his mates death.

OK. I find it interesting you quote me while having a go at someone else, but what the hell? I`ll bite.

Feeder embody everything that`s wrong with rock because they make formulaic, by-the-numbers pop shite that teenagers and those who want to appear "cool" but don`t want to like harder stuff like Marilyn Manson, System of a Down, and so on. "Dad-Rock", if you will.

Their songs are pretty much the same, radio-friendly popbollocks that is neither challenging nor innovative, and quite frankly that is remarkable for a genre like rock which prides itself on innovation and experimental music.

And to say they haven`t used Jon Lee`s death to sell records may not be right, but it`s certainly influenced their work, it`s been all angsty ballads after that happened, so while it may not have been a concious decision, but it`s certainly worked out that way. You certainly seem to think that because their drummer committed suicide they`re exempt from criticism.

Oh, and for the record? Being a nice bloke (which I have no doubt Grant Nicholas is) doesn`t mean that you`re able to make good music.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Feb 25 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #21

Alley Viper

I love Keane because at least they`re not the Scissor Sisters.

+Quote Post
Baz
post Feb 25 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #22

Crumpet?

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,244

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Feb 25 2005, 02:36 PM)
Feeder embody everything that`s wrong with rock because they make formulaic, by-the-numbers pop shite that teenagers and those who want to appear "cool" but don`t want to like harder stuff like Marilyn Manson, System of a Down, and so on. "Dad-Rock", if you will.

Their songs are pretty much the same, radio-friendly popbollocks that is neither challenging nor innovative, and quite frankly that is remarkable for a genre like rock which prides itself on innovation and experimental music.

And of course, Marilyn Manson and SOAD have never been played during the daytime on Radio, and not also making them "radio-friendly popbollocks".

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Feb 25 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #23

Alley Viper

QUOTE (Baz @ Feb 25 2005, 02:54 PM)
And of course, Marilyn Manson and SOAD have never been played during the daytime on Radio, and not also making them "radio-friendly popbollocks".
wink.gif

Smartarse. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
The Phantom
post Feb 25 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #24

Three Pinter

Member No.: 2,249

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Feb 25 2005, 02:36 PM)
OK. I find it interesting you quote me while having a go at someone else, but what the hell? I`ll bite.

And to say they haven`t used Jon Lee`s death to sell records may not be right, but it`s certainly influenced  their work, it`s been all angsty ballads after that happened, so while it may not have been a concious decision, but it`s certainly worked out that way. You certainly seem to think that because their drummer committed suicide they`re exempt from criticism.

Oh, and for the record? Being a nice bloke (which I have no doubt Grant Nicholas is) doesn`t mean that you`re able to make good music.

No I was simply asking what you meant by your quote, I didn't aim the other thing at you, I was aiming it at whoever said it.

however you seem to have got the wrong end of the stick with quite a few of my points. I didn't say that they are exempt from critisism because of Jon Lee's suicide, nor did I say that just because Grant is a nice bloke means he can make great music. What I did say is that I don't believe the thought crossed his mind that he could cash in on the situation. I agree completely that their music has been influenced by the suicide, but as I said before most rock musicians/singers feed of their emotions and divert that energy into their music, that's what makes it passionate.

If you don't like Feeder's music then fair play, slag that off for being dull, everyone has their own opinion.

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post Feb 25 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #25

Boop boop e doo!

Member No.: 2,571

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Feb 25 2005, 02:38 PM)
I love Keane because at least they`re not the Scissor Sisters.

I love the Scissor Sisters because at least they're not Keane.

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Feb 25 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #26

Infamous Wooden Spider

Member No.: 2,273

I don't hate Keane or Feeder. It's true that neither band is particualry edgy and neither breaks any new boundaries musically but so fucking what? The bands that truely do this are very few and far between. It seems to me that some people automatically dislike certain bands because they've gained a particular level of popularity just because it's cooler to knock anything mainstream.
I've seen feeder a handful of times in the past and they put on some pretty good shows and whilst i don't choose to listen to the cds anymore because my taste has moved on i fail to see what they or Keane have done to deserve the backlash. Sometimes a good simple tune is all i want.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Feb 25 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #27

Alley Viper

QUOTE (tigerlily @ Feb 25 2005, 04:10 PM)
I love the Scissor Sisters because at least they're not Keane.

tongue.gif

Again, I say...

Smartarse. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Feb 25 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Feb 25 2005, 04:31 PM)
I don't hate Keane or Feeder.  It's true that neither band is particualry edgy and neither breaks any new boundaries musically but so fucking what?  The bands that truely do this are very few and far between.  It seems to me that some people automatically dislike certain bands because they've gained a particular level of popularity just because it's cooler to knock anything mainstream.
I've seen feeder a handful of times in the past and they put on some pretty good shows and whilst i don't choose to listen to the cds anymore because my taste has moved on i fail to see what they or Keane have done to deserve the backlash.  Sometimes a good simple tune is all i want.

Well, personally, I don't like Keane because the songs of theirs that I've heard have generally been dull and pedestrian - I think they deserve any 'backlash' that comes their way because, in my opinion, they're a bit shit.

As are the Scissor Sisters.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Feb 25 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #29

Alley Viper

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Feb 25 2005, 05:00 PM)
As are the Scissor Sisters.

You`re wrong, you know.

They`re a lot shit.

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Feb 25 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #30

Guests

Ahh, you're just trying to be cool... wink.gif

+Quote Post