Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Feeder, A nice little game
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 25 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #31

You do scribble

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Feb 25 2005, 04:31 PM)
I don't hate Keane or Feeder.  It's true that neither band is particualry edgy and neither breaks any new boundaries musically but so fucking what?  The bands that truely do this are very few and far between.  It seems to me that some people automatically dislike certain bands because they've gained a particular level of popularity just because it's cooler to knock anything mainstream.

I'm with Lazlo. It doesn't matter whether a band is popular - stick to your underground tastes if you want. I like little-known electronic stuff that will *never* be in the charts, but also happen to like Keane, and I just don't care! Don't slag something off because it doesn't affect you emotionally.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Feb 25 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #32

Guests

So we're not allowed to express an opinion on something if we don't like it?

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Feb 25 2005, 05:44 PM
Post #33

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Feb 25 2005, 04:31 PM)
It's true that neither band is particualry edgy and neither breaks any new boundaries musically but so fucking what?  The bands that truely do this are very few and far between.

On the whole I agree with that statement... you don't have to be really original and groundbreaking to be good. Sometimes, taking a tried and tested formula and doing it really really well can be far better than someone desperately trying to be "original".

However, imho Feeder and Keane take a tried and tested formula and do a poor to average job of it. I don't get worked up about it though because they're easily ignorable.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Feb 25 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #34

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

I hate most music. Which is why I don't really post in the music forum.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Feb 26 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #35

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

i love music's ability to elevate or completely change my mood. i love both keane and feeder - i think feeder make some fantastic songs with beautiful lyrics, they use influences from pop, rock, indie and the odd bit of 80s synth. 'quick fade' is a sublime song to me. similarly, with keane, their singles have been massively overplayed but 'can't stop now' is an incredibly uplifting song. it always makes me smile smile.gif
i've been a musician since i was 6, so for me music is part of who i am. i'm currently in a choral society, and we're singing the messiah in april. it's the most indescribable feeling in the world when you are singing some of the best music in the world with 50 other people. it makes your heart explode with happiness.
...sorry, went off on a happy rant there. smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Phantom
post Feb 27 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #36

Three Pinter

Member No.: 2,249

QUOTE (widowspider @ Feb 26 2005, 01:19 PM)
'quick fade' is a sublime song to me.

it's a great tune, a real highlight from Comfort in Sound.

+Quote Post
feak
post Feb 27 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #37

is watching you

Member No.: 2,842

I hate feeder because I hate forced rhymes. Lyrics IMHO are poetry, and poetry doesn't have to rhyme, so there's no point forcing it to rhyme at the cost of any meaning mad.gif Buck Rodgers was so overplayed and SO FORCED RHYMED!!! Rah!

Keane aren't too bad. I have trouble telling the difference between them and other current UK emo bands like Snow Patrol and that. But I did love the video for Bedshaped, not sure it would have suck out otherwise though. They're a bit bland and nothing about them really stands out in my memory.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 28 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #38

You do scribble

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Feb 25 2005, 05:39 PM)
So we're not allowed to express an opinion on something if we don't like it?

Not at all, rebelstar - It's the reasoning for the vehement hatred I have a problem with.

QUOTE (widowspider @ Feb 26 2005, 01:19 PM)
i love music's ability to elevate or completely change my mood. with keane, their singles have been massively overplayed but 'can't stop now' is an incredibly uplifting song. it always makes me smile  smile.gif

I think that is the main reason I like Keane too, widowspider. Most of the music I like - whatever genre - has that uplifting quality. I actively seek out music that raises the hairs on my neck, and listen to it subsequently for just that reason. That's also the reason I favour electronic dance music over all other genres - the best examples of it actually exist to change moods and elevate emotions, be that in a club, or between your headphones. Vocal or rock bands are often too angsty or depressing to give this 'upliftment', which is where bands like Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol, Doves etc, are different. They also happen to be incredibly popular.

This post has been edited by Jessopjessopjessop: Feb 28 2005, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
ronlogan1977
post Feb 28 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #39

Walking the Plank

Member No.: 2,357

I hate Keane because they're music is by Keane.

+Quote Post
pots
post Feb 28 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #40

escapee

Member No.: 2,818

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Feb 28 2005, 01:05 PM)
Vocal or rock bands are often too angsty or depressing to give this 'upliftment', which is where bands like Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol, Doves etc, are different.

the problem i have with keane and i guess its the reason why a lot of people don't like them is that they are doing emotion by numbers.

i agree totally with what widowspider is saying about uplifting, emotional music. i used to love bands like embrace. when 'all you good good people' came out i bought each version and saw how this small fragile tune became an epic uplifting anthem. each time i listened to it it touched me, excited me, made my heart speed up, raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

the problem is, the 'uplifting ballad' is now hackneyed and cliche, keys and strings are a short cut to supposed songwriting greatness, a substitute for real emotion. coldplay reached a peak with 'rush of blood' and unfortunately we have now got to put up with bands following their power ballad blueprint to a t. and people think keane are different because they don't have a guitar whereas it just cuts down their palette, their range of sounds.

keane's biggest crime, however, is that they have nothing to say. bland empty emotion lite cliches. sure, lots of bands are guilty of this but when they picked up their brit award it was a sad day for british music. 'wow, we're just three kids from sussex. thanks a lot' wheres the attitude? wheres the emotion? wheres the passion? in a world where the majority of the music we hear is bland demographic friendly chart pap surely our 'rock' bands can inspire a little danger or excitement instead of looking like they are picking up an essay writing award - 'why i want to be a pop star when i grow up' by that fat one out of keane, aged 12 and a half.

wheres the clash when you need them? or the pistols? can you see why the libertines are so popular? why a band churning out such shite as the others are so popular? why though i hate the others i respect them?

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 28 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #41

You do scribble

QUOTE (pots @ Feb 28 2005, 02:11 PM)
the problem i have with keane and i guess its the reason why a lot of people don't like them is that they are doing emotion by numbers.

keane's biggest crime, however, is that they have nothing to say. bland empty emotion lite cliches. sure, lots of bands are guilty of this but when they picked up their brit award it was a sad day for british music.

I get your point, Pots - what they write about is not groundbreaking, or conveying long lives of hardship, but the passion the lyrics are sung with - and he really belts them out - give them substance and emotion. Try singing along with something like 'bedshaped' - if you can bring yourself to! It's really emotive stuff.

+Quote Post
SkipToTheEnd
post Mar 7 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #42

Young Roberts could not face another moussaka

Member No.: 3,477

I hate the libertines because the only reason anyone buys their records ios because they think itll be cool to like a band in which the singer dies of od, which he will...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:25 AM