Reply to this topicStart new topic
> JJ Abrams Star Trek , News on the new film series
whitey
post Mar 2 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #46

never rub another man's rhubarb

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,308

One to one and a half seasons of boredom is about as much leeway as I'll give a show. Why'd it take so long? Surely angry unreasonable Klingons are vital to any Trek series' success.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 2 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #47

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (The Good Chap @ Mar 2 2005, 05:24 PM)
. . . (like Oxford University in All good Things) . . .

That was Cambridge, Data was holding Stephen Hawking's current job, The Netwon Chair (or something . . . ).

[/udergeek] tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 2 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #48

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (whitey @ Mar 2 2005, 08:07 PM)
One to one and a half seasons of boredom is about as much leeway as I'll give a show. Why'd it take so long? Surely angry unreasonable Klingons are vital to any Trek series' success.

It was starting to get there during Season 3, but it really kicked off during season 4 - the production standards and effects both seemed to take a bit of a jump forward at the same time and they also started making better use of the secondary characters on the show.

Worked for me anyway smile.gif

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 2 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #49

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 2 2005, 06:45 PM)
The original series was about peaceful co-operation between different races (those within the Federation anyway) and was about people working to over-come intolerance, discrimination and prejudice

There's some interesting stuff going on in the original series. When covering race during a Science Fiction module at University I read parts of an interesting book called 'Star Trek and History: Race-Ing Toward a White Future'. Made me look at the show a little differently.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 2 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #50

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 2 2005, 08:42 PM)
There's some interesting stuff going on in the original series. When covering race during a Science Fiction module at University I read parts of an interesting book called 'Star Trek and History: Race-Ing Toward a White Future'. Made me look at the show a little differently.

How so? I've always thought of the original Trek as being the most diverse, the latter series have tended to have aliens fill the rolls of different ethnic groups. Was this book saying Trek was a good or bad example?

+Quote Post
whitey
post Mar 2 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #51

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 2 2005, 08:42 PM)
Race-Ing Toward a White Future

Serious texts with terrible puns in the title are to be approached cautiously.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 3 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #52

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

DS9 only really started to get good halfway thru season 3 i think - thats when they developed the bigger plot arcs and stop trying to copy TNG. There are only 1 or two good episodes from the first 2 seasons. Some are downright rubbish. But from Improbable Cause/ The Die is cast, things just take off and then enters Worf & The Defiant - making things much much better.

Section 31, Garak and Odo all make sure that the Federation are not whiter-than-white and do their own dodgy stuff too "for the greater good" ... In the Pale Moonlight is one of the best episodes and challenges morals on all kinds of levels too. DS9 did major plot arcs and political intrigue in a fabulous way. I have a moderate interest in most other ST but DS9 *quite frankly rocked* ...

But i don't like the original series much but then i didn't really watch many episodes so i won't slag it off. I get peeved a little when people criticise DS9 and then admit they never watch any of the later eps cos that isn't a fair assessment of the show ...

I wish Sky would show it all again - i don't have enough money for the DVDs yet!

Sefi x

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Mar 3 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #53

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (whitey @ Mar 2 2005, 11:47 PM)
Serious texts with terrible puns in the title are to be approached cautiously.

Most academic papers have titles like that. 'Gnomic phrase: punning description to demonstrate my wit'. You're right, though, to advise caution.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 3 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #54

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 3 2005, 10:19 AM)
There are only 1 or two good episodes from the first 2 seasons. 

Duet is head and shoulders above most episodes in series one, and the three part opener of season 2 isn't too bad either.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 3 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #55

Money ...

Duet was the one i was thinking about BTW - miles better than anything else that season, i agree. It was shades of things to come ... Past Prologue was also good if only for the HUGE HOMOEROTIC UNDERTONES of when Garak hits-on, i mean, meets Bashir for the first time. But some like If wishes were horses are just so awful, no wonder folk are suspicious of DS9.

Series 2 opener The Homecoming is good but then there is the horror that is MELORA one of the worst ST episodes ever - the disabled alien story that not even a Troi based empath TBG episode would touch with a barge-pole. Not all abd though - Rules of Acquisition with the female Ferengi amusing i suppose but only cos i like Zek. And some of the Marquis stories are okay but not a patch on the later stuff.

Series 3 really gets better with only a few bad episodes (Meridian being a crappy alien love story) and Fascination (with Troi's mam but - it's obligatory ST stuff in that every series must have at least one episode when all the cast cop-off with each other due to alien virus or possession etc). After Through The Looking Glass, slip-ups get less awful ...

i could discuss DS9 all day but i shan't cos that is far too nerdy and exclusive. rolleyes.gif

Sefi x

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Mar 3 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #56

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Season 1 has one of my favourite episodes, in "Captive Pursuit." Sure, it may not be the greatest Trek ever written, and never places highly on any of the best-of lists, but I can always watch it. And let's not forget Season 2's "Crossover," the first mirror-universe episode!

Seaason 3 has my least-favourite episode by far, "Fascination." I never liked Lwaxana Troi in the first place, but, my God, she's even worse when there's a sex-virus blowing through the station.

Season 4 blows every season prior to and following, though, on the strength of one single episode: "The Visitor." I'm getting misty just thinking about it! wink.gif

+Quote Post
williambuckroger...
post Mar 3 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #57

RIZZIO!

Member No.: 2,346

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 3 2005, 01:22 PM)
there is the horror that is MELORA one of the worst ST episodes ever - the disabled alien story that not even a Troi based empath TBG episode would touch with a barge-pole.

daphne askbrook, of course, turned up later in the DOCTOR WHO movie to ruin that franchise as well... wink.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 3 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #58

Money ...

And let's not forget Season 2's "Crossover," the first mirror-universe episode!

i love the mirror-universe eps. nana visitor really shines in these as an actress and it is clear she is having a ball. Although her costume looks like something Sheena Easton would have worn around 1985 - SPace Boogaloo. Kira suffered from some nasty outfits and bad-hair-days for a while. I never went for the dyke-chic flat top at all. The bob worked best of all i think. Can you tell how bad an episode is by how bad Kira's hair is? Is it like Jake Sisco's height in that way???

Seaason 3 has my least-favourite episode by far, "Fascination." I never liked Lwaxana Troi in the first place, but, my God, she's even worse when there's a sex-virus blowing through the station.

i hate Lwaxana in this and in general. And Bareil i never liked - he seemed sleazy and in this episode her proves it to me!!! bad episode all round i think.

Season 4 blows every season prior to and following, though, on the strength of one single episode: "The Visitor." I'm getting misty just thinking about it! wink.gif

the Visitor was great but not one of personal faves overall - it is brilliant though - undeniably.

Sefi x

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 3 2005, 02:57 PM
Post #59

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (williambuckrogers @ Mar 3 2005, 01:36 PM)
daphne askbrook, of course, turned up later in the DOCTOR WHO movie to ruin that franchise as well... wink.gif biggrin.gif

I think you'll find that's Daphne Ashbrook, who did indeed go on to do the Doctor Who movie and was last seen in the OC.

I liked The Visitor as well, a very good episode!

+Quote Post
williambuckroger...
post Mar 3 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #60

RIZZIO!

Member No.: 2,346

QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 3 2005, 02:57 PM)
I think you'll find that's Daphne Ashbrook, who did indeed go on to do the Doctor Who movie and was last seen in the OC.

was there actually that much point in highlighting that typo? do you think i would have mentioned that point if i didn't know who she was? dear me...

+Quote Post

46 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:19 PM