Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Hobbit, Movie News
Chapman Baxter
post Dec 18 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #61

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema join with MGM to produce 'The Hobbit'.

Note that Peter Jackson is lined up as the executive producer, not the director.

I'm not sure what this means:

The two “Hobbit” films – “The Hobbit” and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of “The Hobbit” release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

What is this sequel of which they speak? Or are they going to cut the book into two films?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 18 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #62

Space Cowboy

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Dec 18 2007, 05:43 PM)
Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema join with MGM to produce 'The Hobbit'.

Note that Peter Jackson is lined up as the executive producer, not the director.

I'm not sure what this means:
What is this sequel of which they speak? Or are they going to cut the book into two films?

I'm not sure about this, but I think they are either cutting the Hobbit in two, and adding in additional material from some of Tolkien's other works, or the Hobbit will be the first film with some of Tolkien's other stories making up the second film.

This was outlined quite a while back, but I can't find any links to it on the Beebs news site anymore.

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Dec 18 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #63

ЯR

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,395

I'm fairly sure there was talk last year about if the films were to be cut in two, then some of his other work would creep into it, mostly from Unfinished Tales. Yeah, I don't think I like the look of PJ and FW executive producing, but Sloan, the guy at MGM, said that it was still possible he would direct either film, or both. They'll have a year to work all that out I'd imagine, and I'm sure PJ would try and free himself up as much as possible for The Hobbit, especially if they're shooting in New Zealand.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Dec 18 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #64

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

I hope PJ directs. If it ends up having a feel to it that is different from the Rings films, it really won't wash with me.

I won't get myself excited about this yet.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Dec 18 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #65

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

I think that they should do all of the Hobbit and then the last forty minutes of the second film should be a short entitled "What the scourging of the Shire would have been like if the theatrical release of Return of the King hadn't left you bursting for a pee."

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 18 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #66

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I think Jackson being involved as a producer is a good thing in itself since, even if he doesn't get the chance to direct, it will guarantee the participation of WETA and all the wonderfully talented people who made the trilogy so technically stunning and, assuming he doesn't get too bogged down with Tintin and his other production duties, he should also be able to be fairly heavily involved on the creative side as well. Of course, him being the director would ensure a more solid connection with the other films but at least having him onboard is a better prospect than not at all.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Dec 19 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #67

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

QUOTE (maian @ Dec 18 2007, 10:58 PM)
Tintin

Fuck Tintin.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Dec 19 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #68

Addict

Seconded, PJ needs to get his priorities sorted... sincehe got all skinny he has just been lost to us... look at King Kong.

If WETA are involved and put half the effort into it as they did with Rings, it will be all kinds of awesome. Chris and I just recently watchedall the special features on the extended DVDS (about the 100th time for me) and man, they worked hard.

Ok maybe I am a bit excited

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 19 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #69

Space Cowboy

So you've just dissed PJ for Kong, but you expect the Hobbit to be awesome because WETA are involved.

Who was it that did the effects on Kong again?! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 19 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #70

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

And they looked damn good. Kong did at least. In fact I only really remember Kong.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Dec 19 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #71

Addict

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 19 2007, 11:16 PM)
So you've just dissed PJ for Kong, but you expect the Hobbit to be awesome because WETA are involved.

Who was it that did the effects on Kong again?! tongue.gif

I dissed King Kong as a film... it was a disappointment to say the least, I did not diss the effects in King Kong done by WETA

This post has been edited by Atara: Dec 19 2007, 10:47 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 20 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #72

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Article about the current situation, a little of what the second film will be about and the chances of Jackson directing

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 20 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #73

Space Cowboy

So the first film is the Hobbit, and the second is Jackson and Co's stab at what happened between that and Fellowship . . .

I know Tolkien wrote a lot of material that could be used in a bridging film, but is any of it strong enough to carry film in its own right?

What are they going to put in? Gollum being held in Mirkwood? Aragorn living in Gondor? Actually, I could see that plot line working as the backbone for the film . . . (but thinking about it, wasn't that before the Hobbit?).

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Dec 21 2007, 05:41 AM
Post #74

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Everybody's favourite Hobbits partake of a little too much Shireweed and venture off on some crazy adventure to Minas Tirith in Frodo and Sam go to The White City?

+Quote Post
Ade
post Dec 21 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #75

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Dec 21 2007, 05:41 AM)
Everybody's favourite Hobbits partake of a little too much Shireweed and venture off on some crazy adventure to Minas Tirith in Frodo and Sam go to The White City?

Or Gollum in Dude, Where's My Precious?

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 06:28 PM