IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crappy covers, Why bother wrecking good songs?
spacemonkey
post Apr 10 2005, 10:01 AM
Post #1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhta

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,241

What's with bands that cover really good songs and then either totally wreck them, or produce something so similar to the original that you might as well listen to the original?

I know there's already a thread for covers but that one's for good ones & stuff. I just want everyone to have a good rant.

Ok, my current hated one is that cover of I want you to want me, originally be Cheap Trick, who were great.

The cover version has really just replaced the vocals with a weedy female vocal line and because her vocals can't compete with the instrumental track, they've compressed that to hell and back thereby removing any bite or energy and rendering the track pointless. Give me the original any day
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Apr 10 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

Girls Aloud are about to cover "Wicked Game"...

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Apr 10 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #3

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

Fucking Futureheads with their fucking awful cover of Hounds of Love. Makes me want to hunt each member of the band down and beat them to death with their own instruments.

+Quote Post
Ell
post Apr 10 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #4

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,395

Scissor Sisters with that awful cover of Comfortably Numb, if i here that one more time on the radio i'm gonna shoot someone!

+Quote Post
spacemonkey
post Apr 10 2005, 10:39 AM
Post #5

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhta

Member No.: 3,241

QUOTE (Ell @ Apr 10 2005, 11:37 AM)
Scissor Sisters with that awful cover of Comfortably Numb, if i here that one more time on the radio i'm gonna shoot someone!

Oh... that does it... I totally forgot about that one. I think my brain shut it out to prevent itself from imploding.

They're going to be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes (I'm a bit of a rabid Pink Floyd fan)

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Apr 10 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #6

Guests

All Saints.

Under The Bridge.

Cunts.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Apr 10 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #7

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

Busted-Teenage Kicks
Busted and Mcfly-Lola

Covering and then murdering the Kinks is sacreligious.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 10 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #8

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Apr 10 2005, 10:30 AM)
Fucking Futureheads with their fucking awful cover of Hounds of Love. Makes me want to hunt each member of the band down and beat them to death with their own instruments.

I really think you are being unfair on he Futureheads, their cover is so different to Kate Bush's that it might as well be a different song and that is what a good cover should do, reimagine the song to suit the band's style. I like it as much as the original but i think that the two versions aim to achieve different things.

As far as a cover that i really hate, Hundred Reasons version of How Soon Is Now?, in fact, i hate pretty much every song on that emo-does-the-smiths cover album

+Quote Post
innercitysumo
post Apr 10 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #9

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,280

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 10 2005, 12:39 PM)
I really think you are being unfair on he Futureheads, their cover is so different to Kate Bush's that it might as well be a different song and that is what a good cover should do, reimagine the song to suit the band's style. I like it as much as the original but i think that the two versions aim to achieve different things.

As far as a cover that i really hate, Hundred Reasons version of How Soon Is Now?, in fact, i hate pretty much every song on that emo-does-the-smiths cover album

Agree with you on The Futureheads thing, but is the Hundred Reasons version the one used in the opening credits of 'Charmed'? If so, I agree with you on that one as well.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 10 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #10

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I don't think it's the same one, Hundred Reason's version was recorded last year whilst Charmed has been on for a while now. Not sure who sings the Charmed theme but it's not a patch on the original.

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Apr 10 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #11

Rally ye! They are but girls with teddies

Member No.: 3,346

Any Queen cover.

I got a blast of Heather Small's rendition of Save Me (I think..couldn't tell between the warbling and gross key chnages) when I SHOULD have been watching the good Doctor (either I'm 3 hours behind or the DVD fucked up).

G4.....ARGH!! UGHH!!! NNNNNGH!!!!!

That is all.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Apr 10 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #12

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (innercitysumo @ Apr 10 2005, 01:02 PM)
Agree with you on The Futureheads thing, but is the Hundred Reasons version the one used in the opening  credits of 'Charmed'? If so, I agree with you on that one as well.

The version on Charmed is by Love Spit Love (aka Psychedelic Furs).

Although not a huge fan of the original...Jessica Simpson doing "Angels" is the most excrutiating thing I've ever heard in my life

+Quote Post
Agent Pickle
post Apr 10 2005, 02:26 PM
Post #13

In a word? Pleasure

Member No.: 3,118

QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Apr 10 2005, 11:03 AM)
Girls Aloud are about to cover "Wicked Game"...

WHAT? HOW?
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Apr 10 2005, 12:40 PM)
Busted-Teenage Kicks

Gah. Idiots.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Apr 10 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #14

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 10 2005, 01:39 PM)

Why don't you like any emo bands that cover Smiths songs? I'd venture to suggest that it's the same reason that I loathe the Futureheads - because they've taken a song/artist that's very close to my heart and fucked around with it. You can say that it's 'different', but we both know it's worse.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Apr 10 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #15

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (WiseJoeyD @ Apr 10 2005, 01:34 PM)
Any Queen cover.

With the exception, in my opinion, of We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Going To Use It, Frank Sidebottom and Bad New's covers of Bohemian Rhapsody - an overblown, overrated track improved with an injection of humour.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:10 PM