> Renewed/Cancelled TV Shows, The winners and losers
maian
post Apr 19 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #181

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

This seems the best place for this bit of news:

Matthew Weiner intends for Mad Men to finish in two years' time.

Assuming that this is his intention and not just something to drum up publicity for the impending fourth season (or if he doesn't change his mind/is forced to keep the show going by the network) then I've got mixed feelings about it. It's mildly upsetting to think that such a good show will have such a finite and short lifespan, but that sense of finality and purpose should prevent it from running too long and outstaying its welcome. It's also so identified with its time period that it would feel strange watching it go any further than the mid-60s.

It also begs the question of in what year in the series' own chronology the show will end. 1967 seems the most likely, given the way that the show has jumped in time between seasons so far.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 14 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #182

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

V and Chuck renewed.

Heroes may be in trouble. What a fall from grace that show has had . . .

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 14 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #183

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 19 2010, 05:40 PM) *
It's mildly upsetting to think that such a good show will have such a finite and short lifespan, but that sense of finality and purpose should prevent it from running too long and outstaying its welcome. It's also so identified with its time period that it would feel strange watching it go any further than the mid-60s.

That's nothing but good news for ANY show, even one as good as Mad Men. Five series is still a long run!

QUOTE (Raven @ May 14 2010, 10:51 AM) *

Quite. Season four/volume five was unbearably bad. I want to start watching season one again to erase recent events from my mind.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 14 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #184

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 14 2010, 11:31 AM) *
Quite. Season four/volume five was unbearably bad. I want to start watching season one again to erase recent events from my mind.

I lost the plot after four or five episodes because of the way the BBC kept shuffling it around in the schedules. I'm intending to watch it at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

I need to get a copy of the first series.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 14 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #185

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

That's nothing but good news for ANY show, even one as good as Mad Men. Five series is still a long run!

Oh, absolutely. I'd much rather it go out on a high than keep going until it lost all wit and relevance, (most of my favourite shows of the last decade - The Sopranos, The Wire, Buffy - knew when to call it quits and went out on a high) but i'll still be sad to say goodbye to the characters when the show ends.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 14 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #186

Guests

I've been watching Mad Men this week and I'm up to episode 9. I'm trying to hold judgement until I finish the series but for all its great qualities I can't help feel like they're missing the point somewhere and wasting a lot of time on the ZOMG olden days attitudes!!1! instead of what the show should really be about. This was the reason I couldn't get into it first time round.

Also, with everyone being so attractive in Mad Men it made me realise for the first time how ballsy the Sopranos was with its cast of average looking middle aged men. Even the Wire had Jimmy McSexpants.

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post May 14 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #187

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

Chuck renewed.

Hurrah!

I can't bring myself to watch the last five Episodes of season 4, it made me wish it had been as good as season 2, never mind season 1...

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 14 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #188

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Raven @ May 14 2010, 12:14 PM) *
I lost the plot after four or five episodes because of the way the BBC kept shuffling it around in the schedules. I'm intending to watch it at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE (Igmeister @ May 14 2010, 02:12 PM) *
I can't bring myself to watch the last five Episodes of season 4, it made me wish it had been as good as season 2, never mind season 1...

Do NOT make the effort to watch season four. It takes all your favourite characters and makes you hate them for being petty, pathetic idiots running cluelessly between nonsensical scenes only existing to generate one episode after another. If season three made you think that a bit, this last one would be 10 times worse.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 15 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #189

Guests

And it's been put out of its misery.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 15 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #190

Space Cowboy

^ No great surprise, and no great disapointment either.

+Quote Post
zeden
post May 16 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #191

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

Makes me a bit sad as it's the closest thing to a live action X-Men tv show as there's ever likely to be. Perhaps my perspective watching the last season isn't quite what others is, enjoying every second of Samuels fall and the clear parallels with Magnetos own tales from the X-Men as I did.
I think that what hurt the series badly, much as it was the crux of the first season, was Sylar and his powers. Because he was so powerful so quickly and then made immortal and invunerable he ended up a confused wreck of a character as the writers tried to create scenarios where he wasn't a threat, hampering him and eventually making him a "good" guy.
Oddly for a Western live action show it faced the same problem as anime series like Dragonball Z or Bleach. When all that matters is who is strongest the only possible plot lines are for someone more powerul to turn up, powerful characters being somehow negated or for a character to ascend to another level in order to compete.
Had Sylar been eliminated earlier and other villlains given more screen time Heroes might have had a chance to show how diverse it could have been. Instead the big budget requirements, viewing figures needed to warrent such spending and the seeming public insistance at having Sylar be the definitive threat at all times have compounded to limit how far the series could go in exploring plots and characters that didn't fit that mould.
I'm crossing my fingers for some kind of one off special just to give it a send off, as the first serious prime time super hero show I think it deserves that much.

+Quote Post
Atara
post May 16 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #192

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

I need to watch The Wire, Mad Men ... And How I Met Your Mother.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 16 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #193

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (zeden @ May 16 2010, 09:04 AM) *
Makes me a bit sad as it's the closest thing to a live action X-Men tv show as there's ever likely to be. Perhaps my perspective watching the last season isn't quite what others is, enjoying every second of Samuels fall and the clear parallels with Magnetos own tales from the X-Men as I did.
I think that what hurt the series badly, much as it was the crux of the first season, was Sylar and his powers. Because he was so powerful so quickly and then made immortal and invunerable he ended up a confused wreck of a character as the writers tried to create scenarios where he wasn't a threat, hampering him and eventually making him a "good" guy.
Oddly for a Western live action show it faced the same problem as anime series like Dragonball Z or Bleach. When all that matters is who is strongest the only possible plot lines are for someone more powerul to turn up, powerful characters being somehow negated or for a character to ascend to another level in order to compete.
Had Sylar been eliminated earlier and other villlains given more screen time Heroes might have had a chance to show how diverse it could have been. Instead the big budget requirements, viewing figures needed to warrent such spending and the seeming public insistance at having Sylar be the definitive threat at all times have compounded to limit how far the series could go in exploring plots and characters that didn't fit that mould.
I'm crossing my fingers for some kind of one off special just to give it a send off, as the first serious prime time super hero show I think it deserves that much.

I said ages ago that they just needed to kill Sylar off and get some new badfies in. It was fucking boring the way his story went. If it was up to me as well I'd want less focus on Claire and more on Peter and Hiro. And stop introducing so many new people (I know that sounds contradictory to what I said, but I'd have preferred a more stable ensemble cast fighting a couple of new badfies then for new heroes and nemeses(sp?) and other ancillary characters all added). But then again, what do I know about writing a good script...

+Quote Post
Outatime
post May 17 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #194

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

In the first series there was no fear of killing characters off, after the first series everyone could miraculously be brought back to life which just made it ridiculous. I quite liked Sylar all the way through the last series but they definitely needed less Claire. I think it really suffered from a lack of back story, I don't know if that wouldn't have happened if they'd made Origins, they touched on how people got abilities and how it ran in some families but that never really tallied with what happened in the storylines.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post May 19 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #195

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

QUOTE (Atara @ May 16 2010, 11:15 AM) *
I need to watch The Wire, Mad Men ... And How I Met Your Mother.

Meatloaf might have something to say about that list.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 10:48 AM