Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Terry Pratchett & The Discworld, General Discussion
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Apr 18 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #1

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,662

If there's one thing I love in the world its Discworld books (and to a lesser extent the comp games). Anyone else an avid Pratchett reader or occasional dabbler?. If so what are you're favourite books? - I can't fault the City Watch novels 'Guards Guards' 'Men At Arms' etc although the last one 'Going Postal' was a definite return to form after the rather dodgy 'Thief of Time'. Anyone else interested? anyone?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Julie
post Apr 18 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

I'm a big Pratchett fan because of his effort in Good Omens. So I picked up Thief of Time and couldn't get into it. If it's a rather dodgy one, as you say, should I read the first one instead? (I didn't realize at the time that it was part of a series)

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Apr 18 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #3

Good Omens is a very good book I'd agree with you on that, finished re-reading it a few weeks ago and still think Crowley is a great Pratchett/Gaiman character. Oddly the Discworld books start off on a slightly uneven footing, its widely acknowledged that the first book isn't the greatest although things do pick up in the light fantastic (2nd book). That carries on the story from the first book though so its probably best to start there. After the first five/six you could probably flip around the series but you will lose track of the various 'inventions' that are introduced in various novels as well as the development of some leading characters if you head too far forwards.

+Quote Post
flakmonkey
post Apr 18 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #4

SPOOOOON!

Member No.: 3,738

Ha ha! What a brilliant topic! I think you'll find probably about half of us here are fans. Yep I love Mr Pratchett and his work. The man is an utter genius! My fave books are probably... (now this is a toughie) Night Watch, Feet of Clay, Monstrous Regiment and er... Witches Abroad. But I adore them all! My favourite characters are Sam Vimes and Nanny Ogg. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 18 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #5

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Thief of Time is more or less a stand alone novel but I wouldn't say it was one of the best to ease into the Discworld with.

You could start at the beginning with The Colour of Magic and work your way through but I found his first two books, although good, to be a little cliché at times.

He didn't really get going - to my mind - until Equal Rites came out and he jumped up another notch with the excellent Mort.

If you are looking for an easy starter though I'd recommend Guards! Guards! as it's really just a detective novel set in a fantasy environment.

Either way I'd recommend you reading further as I've not read a duff Pratchett book yet!

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Apr 18 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #6

Oh and Small Gods is really good as well - a cleverly written book but also most amusing.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Apr 18 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #7

Guests

Any of the City Watch books which can be read as a series on their own, really.

Guards Guards
Men At Arms
Feet Of Clay
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch

I think that's all of them - anyway, I love the way that the characters develop through the series, especially Vimes & Carrott.

+Quote Post
ella
post Apr 18 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

I love Pratchett. He is my favourite writer. Favourite character used to be Death, and still is up to a point, but I think that I am beginning to appreciate Vimes more.

I am planning on collecting them all again (lost a few copies over the years) and having a read through from the beginning.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Apr 18 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #9

Guests

Vimes is brilliant - he's reminds me of me, only slightly less jaded.

+Quote Post
ella
post Apr 18 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #10

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

He is a character for the world weary. biggrin.gif I just love the fact that he gets thrown into all this upper class stuff and he actually just wants to go out and and pound the streets like a normal copper.

And I love the way he deals with Vetinari (who I also like - so manipulative)

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Apr 19 2005, 09:11 AM
Post #11

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 18 2005, 09:20 PM)
You could start at the beginning with The Colour of Magic and work your way through but I found his first two books, although good, to be a little cliché at times.

He didn't really get going - to my mind - until Equal Rites came out and he jumped up another notch with the excellent Mort.

Well, Pratchett started off by parodying existing fantasy stories; off the top of my head, the first parodies Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouse stories, Anne McCaffrey's Dragon novels, Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, HP Lovecraft and more. They were cliched, but that was the point.

It was only when he wrote Equal Rites and Mort that he started to build a world of his own instead of parodying other peoples, and the humour became much richer, as did the deeper implications of his books.

I always enjoy reading his books, but find the later ones don't have as much impact as the early ones. That said, I think Night Watch is the best thing he's ever done.

If you're looking for a place to start his books, I can do no better than point you to this part of the rec.arts.sf.written FAQ.

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 19 2005, 09:36 AM
Post #12

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

I have to admit I've never actually read any of Terry Pratchett's books.
My bf is a big fan though so our house is full of them!
I have listened to some of his books on tape (read by Tony "Baldrick" Robinson)

I've also seen Terry Pratchett speak when he was out here in Australia.
He spoke really well and I found him very entertaining (even though I'd not read his books)

i've played the discworld games too. Very cool! Love Eric Idle as Rincewind

Cheers
AC

+Quote Post
Blind I/O
post Apr 19 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #13

Would you like to see my mask?

Member No.: 2,406

I've been known to read the occasional Pratchett book or thirty. Love the pants off 'em.

+Quote Post
ianmak
post Apr 19 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #14

Guests

Love the Discworld series, and Good Omens, too...

If you want to know what 'order' to read them in, here are some rather geekish guides...
http://www.ie.lspace.org/books/reading-ord...ides/index.html

But defo read the first 2, then carry on after.

+Quote Post
Blind I/O
post Apr 19 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #15

Would you like to see my mask?

Member No.: 2,406

Or you could read them in release order, according to the list in the front of every book. That way you get to watch his writing style and the Disc develop together.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 04:50 AM