> Terry Pratchett & The Discworld, General Discussion
m0r1arty
post Apr 19 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #16

Feel the Rainbow

Group: Senior Members
From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

Mort was by fr my fav, and I agree with Chapman Baxter about creating his own world with these, although the parodies were excellent too!

Robert Rankin is another funny writer too, worth checking out.

-m0r
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ianmak
post Apr 19 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Blind I/O @ Apr 19 2005, 12:40 PM)
Or you could read them in release order, according to the list in the front of every book. That way you get to watch his writing style and the Disc develop together.

Thats how I read them, kind of...the first 2, then Soul Music, then pretty much in order after that!

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Apr 19 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #18

Guests

I'd read them in order - that way you can ease into the world, and you get to read the excellent Mort quite early on. I just realised that I haven't read any of the last three Discworld books - I'm not sure if that's lazyness on my part or if 27 books was enough for me. Hmmm.

And Robert Rankin is an excellent writer - the Brentford Trilogy is one of my favourite serieseses of books.

+Quote Post
ella
post Apr 19 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #19

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Apr 19 2005, 01:02 PM)
I just realised that I haven't read any of the last three Discworld books - I'm not sure if that's lazyness on my part or if 27 books was enough for me. Hmmm.

I would recommend them. In my opinion, Night Watch, Monsterous Regiment and Going Postal are some of his best work. Some new character to focus on in the last two which I think refreshes his writing.

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Apr 19 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (ella @ Apr 19 2005, 02:09 PM)
I would recommend them. In my opinion, Night Watch, Monsterous Regiment and Going Postal are some of his best work. Some new character to focus on in the last two which I think refreshes his writing.

Night Watch was the last one I read - the bibliography I was looking at includes 'Thud!' which I assume isn't out yet. I'll pick the other two up and add them to my reading pile.

+Quote Post
flakmonkey
post Apr 19 2005, 01:20 PM
Post #21

SPOOOOON!

Member No.: 3,738

Oh, you've also gotta love the Nac Mac Feegle. Hilarious! What a great parody of us Scots. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ella
post Apr 19 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #22

Mrs P

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Apr 19 2005, 01:19 PM)
Night Watch was the last one I read - the bibliography I was looking at includes 'Thud!' which I assume isn't out yet. I'll pick the other two up and add them to my reading pile.

Ooh! Even newer Pratchett.... I will have to keep an eye out of that one.

+Quote Post
Amazongirl
post Apr 19 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #23

Jaffacake Scoffing Geekgirl

Member No.: 2,333

Id say im a new fan, watched first half of Soul Music last year.

Borught it as soon as I saw it on dvd.

Still havent finished first book that i treid to read over easter. Death Rules!

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Apr 19 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #24

Guests

The bibliography was here. Looks like Thud! is another City Watch book.

+Quote Post
ella
post Apr 19 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #25

Mrs P

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Apr 19 2005, 01:32 PM)
The bibliography was here. Looks like Thud! is another City Watch book.

Lovely! Cheers for the link. I knew that I was saving those Christmas book tokens for something biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ella
post Apr 19 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #26

Mrs P

QUOTE (flakmonkey @ Apr 19 2005, 01:20 PM)
Oh, you've also gotta love the Nac Mac Feegle. Hilarious! What a great parody of us Scots. biggrin.gif

Sorry, double post, but I had to agree with this - I have only read Wee Free Men but I read the whole thing thinking of my tiny Scottish Granny. I think that it added to the reading!

+Quote Post
flakmonkey
post Apr 19 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #27

SPOOOOON!

Member No.: 3,738

Nice Ella! biggrin.gif They are great aren't they?

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 19 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #28

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Isn't Thud! the board game released a little while ago, i got it for Xmas and it's a great laugh if your a Pratchett fan.

I started redaing Pratchett a few years ago, i started with Colour of Magic (Actually i started with Night Watch but didn't have a clue who anyone was so i gave up after a while) and it took me a few months to read cos i couldn't really get into it, then i read a few more books, and i think in total it took me 6 months to read every single Discworld book (that had been released at the time)

Absolutely love Pratchett to my mind he is one of the best philosophers but he choosesto write comedic books, which works great! His books are such a great mixture of fantasy and reality as well humour and serious issues (such as Vimes speech at the end of Night Watch in which he talks about why he doesn't want a monument for the dead soldiers, always brings a tear to my eye).

My favourite character would be Vimes, Rincewind or Death, probably Death because he has such a great outlook on life and some of the best lines in the books.

''Isn't my life meant to flash before my eyes?''
''That was it''
''What was?''
''That was your life flashing before your eyes, when you were living it''
(I'm paraphrasing but thats the best i can remember without a book in front of me)

Favourite books....Definitely Night Watch would be there, as would Guards Guards, Men at Arms (its so sad when Detritus' friend dies), Witches Abroad, Pyramids, Small Gods...hell, I love them all!

Is anyone else a fan of his 'Johnny and...' books? Johnny anfd the Dead was the first of his books that i read that wasn't a discworld one, and i got to read it as a play for english, i particularly enjoyed it cos i got to play the Italian ghost (i forget the name) and i put on an absurdly over-the-top italian accent, noone else could read a scene with me for the laughter! Then they made me give up the part sad.gif

Anyway, Terry Pratchett=Genius

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 20 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #29

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 19 2005, 06:27 PM)
I started redaing Pratchett a few years ago . . . 

Whilst I was writing my post above I realised I've been reading Pratchett books for about 18 years now! wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Apr 20 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #30

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 20 2005, 01:46 PM)
Whilst I was writing my post above I realised I've been reading Pratchett books for about 18 years now!  wacko.gif

My God, I've just checked when The Colour of Magic was first published - 22 years ago! I didn't read it right away, but I've probably been reading Prachett's book for 20 years. I feel old. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:42 PM