Post #32

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,284

A timely bumping though. Have you seen this?:

QUOTE (www.bbc.co.uk/news @ 31/07/05)
Pratchett anger at Rowling's rise

Terry Pratchett is the author of the best-selling Discworld series
Author Terry Pratchett has complained that the status of Harry Potter author JK Rowling is being elevated "at the expense of other writers".

Pratchett, one of the UK's most successful novelists with 40 million books sold, said the media ignores the achievements of other fantasy authors.

He also took a sideswipe at Rowling for saying she did not realise Harry Potter was fantasy until it was published.

His comments came on Rowling's 40th birthday, also Harry Potter's birthday.

In a recent interview with Time magazine, Rowling said she was "not a huge fan of fantasy" and was trying to "subvert" the genre.

JK Rowling launching Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
JK Rowling recently launched Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The magazine also said Rowling reinvented fantasy fiction, which was previously stuck in "an idealised, romanticised, pseudofeudal world, where knights and ladies morris-dance to Greensleeves".

Pratchett, whose first fantasy novel was published 34 years ago, wrote to the Sunday Times saying the genre had always been "edgy and inventive".

"Ever since The Lord of the Rings revitalised the genre, writers have played with it, reinvented it, subverted it and bent it to their times," he wrote.

"It has also contained come of the very best, most accessible writing for children, by writers who seldom get the acknowledgement they deserve."

He also expressed surprise at Rowling's comments that she only realised Harry Potter was fantasy after the first book was published.

"I'm not the world's greatest expert," he wrote, "But I would have thought that the wizards, witches, trolls, unicorns, hidden worlds, jumping chocolate frogs, owl mail, magic food, ghosts, broomsticks and spells would have given her a clue?"

Rowling's latest book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, sold almost nine million copies in the UK and US in its first 24 hours of release on 16 July.

Meanwhile, Rowling celebrated reaching 40 on Sunday, the same day she has given as her young creation's birthday.

The author's website displayed pictures of a birthday cake and birthday card with the words: "Happy birthday Harry Potter."

Fans have been trying to deduce how old he is, with one site saying the boy wizard has now turned 25.

What the hell is the last sentence all about? How can you speculate that Harry's 25, when he's 15 in the books?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ella
post Aug 1 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #33

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

Perhaps that the character was first thought of 25 years ago? The character is 25 years old in concept, rather than in the books. Don't know enough about Rowling and her throughts to kow whether that in an accurate guess though.

I love, love, love, the HP books and the films, but I have been a Pratchett fan for years and it does bother me on his behalf that he has been wonderfully prolific and really added to the genre of fantasy fiction and never had the recognition, or success that Rowling has had. When in my opinion, his writing surpasses hers.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Aug 1 2005, 10:39 AM
Post #34

Absolutely. She's literary munchkin compared to him and he's been writing brilliant books for years only to get sneered at by most people who think that only 14 year old boys read them.

I did notice that they've reissued some Discworld books with 'adult' covers, in the style of Harry Potter, so this might prompt a wider acceptance of his work. Shallow as it may seem, it was those revolting Josh Kirby covers that put me off reading Pratchett for years.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 1 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #35

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Aug 1 2005, 11:39 AM)
I did notice that they've reissued some Discworld books with 'adult' covers, in the style of Harry Potter, so this might prompt a wider acceptance of his work. Shallow as it may seem, it was those revolting Josh Kirby covers that put me off reading Pratchett for years.

They've been out for a while now and I have been tempted to buy the series again in the new covers but so far they have only done half the range, so I'm not sure they will do the rest (in which case there's no point in re-buying them) and I like the Josh Kirby covers (it's the later one's I'm not so keen on).

They do look jolly smart though, and if it gets more people reading them all the better!

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 1 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #36

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Aug 1 2005, 11:27 AM)
A timely bumping though. Have you seen this?:
What the hell is the last sentence all about? How can you speculate that Harry's 25, when he's 15 in the books?

Yeah, it's been posted in the Harry Potter thread here! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Aug 1 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 1 2005, 11:50 AM)
and I like the Josh Kirby covers (it's the later one's I'm not so keen on).

I loathe 'em. I don't know why Pratchett liked (or possibly tolerated) them, they seem to contain all the fantasy genre cliches that the books try to avoid, subvert or poke fun at. You've got the big-titted women, crusty wizards, knobbly-looking dwarves etc etc, whereas the Paul Kidby covers have a warmth, realism and humanity about them. And more importantly, the characters he draws look exactly how I always pictured them.
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 1 2005, 11:51 AM)
Yeah, it's been posted in the Harry Potter thread here! smile.gif

Ah. I couldn't remember where I'd got the link from. Apologies, I'm not well today.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Aug 1 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #38

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

To be fair Kirby's style of drawing was very much 'love or hate' I have found, my flatmate has the new black covered copy of 'Equal Rites' - which I must admit is very pretty looking. Anyone heard any info about when TPs next 'adult' Discworld book may surface? I need my fix!

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 1 2005, 11:53 AM
Post #39

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 19 2005, 05:27 PM)
Isn't Thud! the board game released a little while ago, i got it for Xmas and it's a great laugh if your a Pratchett fan.

Thud! (the book) is due out on the first of October, according to amazon and play... I've just preordered it now biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Aug 1 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #40

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Aug 1 2005, 11:27 AM)

Read this for details, though it may make you regret asking the question.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Aug 1 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #41

QUOTE ( A very sad Harry Potter fan)
Having presented what evidence can be found it becomes almost imperative to also decide which actual mapping is the "right" one; if possible at all.

The interactive timeline on the DVD-ROM section of the "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" DVD puts year 0 as 1991, but it should be abundantly clear from this analysis that this identification actually fits the data very badly. As explained above the status of this piece of information isn't entirely clear. Some will certainly consider it canonical or very nearly so and therefore stick to the information there. Personally I am reluctant to accept the information as part of canon unless and until Rowling confirms this separately. For all I know her approval might have been of accuracy within the context of the films, which doesn't apply to the books. The same goes for other material that she has approved of; this approval is not necessarily proof that the information on the approved product is consistent with her intentions from the books.

Fuck me; I thought I had no life.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 1 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #42

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I personally loathe the new designs for the Discworld books, it's just not right! Josh Kirkby had a great way of drawing things with such verve and imagination (I always assumed that they were a bit tongue-in-cheek really, showing all the cliches on the front and subverting them in the book sort of thing) and the new ones look so bland and lifeless, they don't show anything of the humour in the books which was clearly visible on all or Kirkby's front covers. I'm not a huge fan of Paul Kidby's (the guy who took over from Kirkby) cover designs since he just seemed to be trying to copy Kirkby's style (at least on the first few he did like Thief Of Time) although he has improved, though I don't think he'll better his cover for Night Watch.

As far as Pratchett's work goes: he's a genius and deserves much more success than he has got. But if he became successful what would be the fun in being a Discworld fan?

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Aug 1 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #43

Guests

QUOTE (maian @ Aug 1 2005, 10:40 PM)
As far as Pratchett's work goes: he's a genius and deserves much more success than he has got. But if he became successful what would be the fun in being a Discworld fan?

Became successful? He's sold 40 million books.

I know what you mean, though - he does get a fair amount of critical acclaim, but still seems to be sidelined as he's seen as a genre writer, never mind the social commentry and notes on the human condition he manages to pack into his books. And Sam Vimes has got to be one of the greatest ever literary creations.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 2 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #44

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Aug 1 2005, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE ( A very sad Harry Potter fan)
Having presented what evidence can be found it becomes almost imperative to also decide which actual mapping is the "right" one; if possible at all.

The interactive timeline on the DVD-ROM section of the "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" DVD puts year 0 as 1991, but it should be abundantly clear from this analysis that this identification actually fits the data very badly. As explained above the status of this piece of information isn't entirely clear. Some will certainly consider it canonical or very nearly so and therefore stick to the information there. Personally I am reluctant to accept the information as part of canon unless and until Rowling confirms this separately. For all I know her approval might have been of accuracy within the context of the films, which doesn't apply to the books. The same goes for other material that she has approved of; this approval is not necessarily proof that the information on the approved product is consistent with her intentions from the books.

Fuck me; I thought I had no life.

I've seen many a Star Trek fan post material like that on the net, and they get very upset if you argue it with them! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 2 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #45

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Aug 1 2005, 10:10 PM)
I know what you mean, though - he does get a fair amount of critical acclaim, but still seems to be sidelined as he's seen as a genre writer, never mind the social commentry and notes on the human condition he manages to pack into his books.  And Sam Vimes has got to be one of the greatest ever literary creations.

It is unfair that he is sidelined but then again it's really difficult to sell his books to people who haven't read them before. My last night in halls was spent trying to get my copy of Going Postal back and I managed to get it back over dinner from the only guy in my block other than me who was a Discworld fan. We then had to try and describe the series to everyone else because they hadn't read the books. When one of them said ''Isn't that the one where the world is set on a disc on the back of a turtle?'' it became a bit harder to get across the fact that they were such monumentally brilliant books and that they satirised the whole fantasy genre.

Whereas people 'get' the Potter books cos they are straight (and, I've always thought, very lazy) fantasy, rather than trying to push the envelope in the way that Pratchett and other Fantasy writers have done, she just uses many of the old cliches. When my dad went to see the first film with me and my sister he just spent the whole film pointing out where she had stolen ideas from (some of them were fairly outlandish; it's unlikely that she had played Shining Force on the Mega-Drive let alone stolen the giant chess fight from it).

Don't get me wrong, I love the Potter series, but I love Discworld more and have always felt that Pratchett's work deserves to be more widely accepted than it is.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:21 AM