IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Introduce me to 'Electronica'., where to start?
Blind I/O
post May 2 2005, 07:59 PM
Post #16

Would you like to see my mask?

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,406

Electronica is the broad-spectrum genre comprising works that are mainly based on electronic sounds or instruments - ambient, techno, house, etc being subsets to define more specifically the type of electronic sound produced by a certain group of artists...

Or something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 2 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #17

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Blind I/O @ May 2 2005, 07:59 PM)
Electronica is the broad-spectrum genre comprising works that are mainly based on electronic sounds or instruments - ambient, techno, house, etc being subsets to define more specifically the type of electronic sound produced by a certain group of artists...
Or something.

Thanks...I think that clarifies it. Which means I have a huge Electronica collection and didn't know it..I think wacko.gif

+Quote Post
iranspaced
post May 2 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #18

Two Pinter

Member No.: 2,500

65 Days Of Static
the most recent Unkle album
the new Four Tet album
any Aphex Twin
Prefuse 79
Battles

+Quote Post
kid_koala
post May 2 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #19

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,143

ooh, ill play a lot of electronica in my radio show tomorrow night, if you want. ill be pimping it to the max, (as per usual) just before it starts at 7.30, so be on the lookout on these boards then!

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 3 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #20

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (pots @ May 2 2005, 06:48 PM)
i see bands like prodigy, chemical brothers, leftfield etc as being electronic music or dance music but electronica ( with the 'a' ) means slightly more leftfield or 'odd' - stuff that you listen to nodding your head rather than dancing.

That is probably the nearest intended meaning of 'electronica', but I just know that many artists hate the term, so personally I would call the head-nodding bands leftfield electronic music, but even that is awful! I prefer the umbrella term 'EDM', and within that, you have Techno, Ambient Techno, Trance, Ambient blah blah blah. Orbital for example are fairly accurately described within these definitions as 'ambient techno'. There's an excellent animated website which features all these definitions, with music clips of genres, which I'll try to find...

QUOTE (philt @ May 2 2005, 07:18 PM)
A few other suggestions - Boards Of Canada "Music Has The Right To Children" is pretty much an essential purchase (more than say Plaid or Orbital),

Hmm, obviously, personal favourites had some influence in my recommendations there philt. It could never be an entirely comprehensive list, which is why it's good there are people with tastes in electronic music different to mine here...

As for BoC being more essential than any Orbital - that's just bollocks!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 3 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #21

You do scribble

Woo-hoo!

I found the website. Check this out for anal and pretty damn comprehensive definitions! May I suggest everyone look under 'Downtempo' at the definition of 'electronica'. tongue.gif

Electronic Music Guide

Features some excellent samples from each sub-genre.

This post has been edited by Jessopjessopjessop: May 3 2005, 10:29 AM

+Quote Post
JeffStuka
post May 3 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #22

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 3,659

Electronica is a lumpy term innit. I agree with most said (though my knowledge of the genre is much diminished in recent years). On behalf of my mate, I'd like to put forward Yello as the german purveyors of artsy nut music did some good stuff under that banner.

Hooray for the Prodigy. Experience was the juicy peach and I drove myself mental on them for years. I do like Jilted Generation though.

+Quote Post
pots
post May 3 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #23

escapee

Member No.: 2,818

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 3 2005, 11:27 AM)
Electronic Music Guide

what a great site jessop - cheers ( and it's got that jean-jacques perrey tune everyone was trying to remember in the french pop section )

so i was talking with my friend on saturday night about music. he puts on a few nights and he was telling me about this japanese guy he had playing at one club. there is a scene in japan where they write and perform music on gameboys ( don't ask me how ) so this guy was playing screaming white-noise techno off his gameboy, shouting abuse and swearing and throwing scotch eggs at the audience.

give it six months and everyone will be doing it.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 3 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #24

You do scribble

QUOTE (pots @ May 3 2005, 11:28 AM)
so this guy was playing screaming white-noise techno off his gameboy, shouting abuse and swearing and throwing scotch eggs at the audience.

laugh.gif

I think he used to hang around Budgens in Harlesden a few years ago...

+Quote Post
gunfire
post May 3 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #25

Guests

hi I'm new *waves*

but I came straight to the music section and felt the need to lose my cherry here.
I would reccomend radiohead's KID A for some nice all round sounding electonica but indeed radiohead are a guitar band of course but KID A is still one of my personal faves (especially 'idioteque' amazing).

otherwise BoC, anything of ninja tune, even perhaps some early new order stuff (1987 album substance) would probably be a good idea as well, can't go wrong with 'blue manday' I suppose some would say this is where it all started....

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post May 3 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE (gunfire @ May 3 2005, 01:43 PM)
even perhaps some early new order stuff (1987 album substance) would probably be a good idea as well, can't go wrong with 'blue manday' I suppose some would say this is where it all started....

You've not met philt, have you?

wink.gif

Seriously though, before Phil goes all purple with rage, I think Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream etc might have something to say about that.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 3 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #27

You do scribble

QUOTE (gunfire @ May 3 2005, 12:43 PM)
otherwise BoC, anything of ninja tune, even perhaps some early new order stuff (1987 album substance) would probably be a good idea as well, can't go wrong with 'blue manday' I suppose some would say this is where it all started....

welcome, gunfire!

New Order is a good choice, although I wouldn't quite say that's where it all started. Most electronic dance music is traced back to during the disco and funk era, especially in the USA, when people began using repetitive beats (created by relatively new synthesiser technology) to dance to, and out of these genres came 'House' in places like Detroit and Chicago. Combine this with the experimental use of the new electronic instrumentation - Kraftwerk, Tangerine dream etc - and you spawn many sub-genres. Synthesisers like 303s, 909s and 808s created genres all on their own (Acid House, Techno and so on) just through the sound they made. And that's not to mention the more pop and rock acts which started using synths, which I would include New Order, Human League and Ultravox as some of...

+Quote Post
kid_koala
post May 3 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #28

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,143

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 3 2005, 10:27 AM)
Woo-hoo!

I found the website. Check this out for anal and pretty damn comprehensive definitions! May I suggest everyone look under 'Downtempo' at the definition of 'electronica'.  tongue.gif

Electronic Music Guide

im pretty sure that website was created by god.

best.website.ever

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 3 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #29

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (gunfire @ May 3 2005, 12:43 PM)
...early new order stuff (1987 album substance) would probably be a good idea as well, can't go wrong with 'blue manday' I suppose some would say this is where it all started....

I think you could go even further back... the Doctor Who theme

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 3 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #30

You do scribble

QUOTE (kid_koala @ May 3 2005, 01:30 PM)
im pretty sure that website was created by god.

best.website.ever

pretty dang comprehensive ain't it?!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 03:12 PM