Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the armando iannucci thread
pots
post May 9 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #1

escapee

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,818

its surprising how much influence this guy has had in british comedy of the last decade or so and he's got a few new things lined up so i thought i'd give him a quick heads up here.

'the thick of it' is a new political satire style show starring chris langham. described by chris morris as 'very, very good indeed', it starts on bbc4 on 19th may.

'armando iannucci's charm offensive' starts on wednesday on radio 4, and will be 'topical'.

'time trumpet' is a fake history programme which is set in 2050 and deals with events between now and then.

and as for partridge? he mentions 'a possible film, set on a british moon base: mike leigh in space. nothing happens, except maybe a massive alien attack near the end.'

so three shows to look forward to. just don't hold your breath for the partridge film...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beatoswald
post May 9 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #2

Four Pinter

Member No.: 3,162

he good. me like. opinions fun. shower me.

i look forward to all that stufff.

+Quote Post
whitey
post May 9 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #3

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

The Armando Iannucci Shows was the best thing I've seen on telly in years. DVD would be nice. His topical stuff hasn't gone over so well since the Saturday Night Armistice finished though. What was that short-lived thing on C4 called?

This post has been edited by whitey: May 9 2005, 02:55 PM

+Quote Post
pots
post May 9 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #4

escapee

QUOTE (whitey @ May 9 2005, 03:55 PM)
The Armando Iannucci Shows was the best thing I've seen on telly in years. DVD would be nice.

definitely, very underated. just the right mix of surrealism, dry wit and satire.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 9 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #5

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

It was genius. My friend Dave was even prompted to write a letter to Channel Four congratulating them.

Now where can I get myself one of those pies?

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post May 9 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

Telegraph Interview

+Quote Post
pots
post May 9 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #7

escapee

whats with that pose in the photo?!

anyway, i'm not a beeb insider, i got my info from the observer here.

glad to see i wasn't the only one here to enjoy his stuff.

+Quote Post
Shack
post May 9 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #8

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (pots @ May 9 2005, 02:48 PM)
'armando iannucci's charm offensive' starts on wednesday on radio 4, and will be 'topical'.

I heard "Wossy" talking about this on his radio show on Saturday. It certainly caught my attention.

The Armistice show was one of those I took for granted when it was on, and didn't video it or even watch each episode, but I ruddy wish it was on the telly now.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 9 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #9

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

Man's a genius!

Those shows sound great - virtually everything he does is comedy gold.

I can't remember that Channel 4 thing's name, but remember it being the best (and nearly only) satire on TV at the time. The Armando Ianuuci Shows were excellent (and still on a highly valued VHS at home!) - I remember feeling strangely spoilt and the wealth of brilliant comedy in each episode, as if I were revisiting the heady days of Brass Eye and The Day Today.

His radio shows from the mid-90s are brilliant too - I quite often listen on headphones at work, and end up chuckling like a twat into my keyboard.

I think he's an excellent presenter too - despite what that article says - his accent, inflection and pronounciation actually enhance the material, as if revelling in it, I think - the same way Reeves and Mortimer can make nearly anything sound amusing.

+Quote Post
Chris
post May 9 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #10

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,687

Can't wait for this either. I read the same Observer profile/interview as you Pots. Should be good. I liked the Armando Ianucci Shows on Channel Four too. Great stuff.

Incidentally, my "friend" [actually, Father in-law] is in The Thick of it - he's filming/improvising it this week...with Rebecca Front I think. Yay

C

This post has been edited by Chris: May 9 2005, 03:27 PM

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post May 9 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #11

Guests

What was that short-lived thing on C4 called?

Was it this? Must have passed me by, since I have no recollection of it whatsoever.

I'm looking forward to the new show on Wednesday night - I really enjoyed the 15 minute extracts from Facts And Fancies that were (re?)broadcast a couple of months ago. And does anyone know why the Armando Iannucci Shows DVD was pulled? There was definitely an announcement at one point that it would be released.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 9 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #12

You do scribble

QUOTE (Chris @ May 9 2005, 03:26 PM)
Incidentally, my "friend" [actually, Father in-law] is in The Thick of it - he's filming imrpovising it this week...with Rebecca Front. Yay

Fab - Rebecca Front is sooooo brilliant! She is one of, if not the best, comic TV actors around.

+Quote Post
Hughesie
post May 9 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Football's just a branch of science

Member No.: 3,874

The Armando Iannucci Shows was the best thing I've seen on telly in years. DVD would be nice. His topical stuff hasn't gone over so well since the Saturday Night Armistice finished though. What was that short-lived thing on C4 called?

It was called ''Gash''. Short-lived is the right phrase for it too. I think it was all over in the space of about four consecutive weeknights.

Really looking forward to the new Radio 4 show.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post May 9 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #14

You do scribble

QUOTE (rebelstar @ May 9 2005, 03:27 PM)
Was it this? Must have passed me by, since I have no recollection of it whatsoever.

And does anyone know why the Armando Iannucci Shows DVD was pulled? There was definitely an announcement at one point that it would be released.

Yeah that was it.

The AI Shows DVD was pulled I think due to licensing issues over music samples used within particular episodes. Because they couldn't clear the samples, and the music was an integral part, it was decided not to release them at all!

+Quote Post
Chris
post May 9 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #15

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,687

Fab - Rebecca Front is sooooo brilliant! She is one of, if not the best, comic TV actors around.

Isn't she just? I love her. Strangely underrated although she was named as one of the most influential women in the media but i think these things are planted by agents to give clients more "clout" Anyway, she's utterly superb.

C

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:31 PM