IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World of Warcraft, Woz it all about, Elfie?
NiteFall
post Dec 19 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #61

Invader.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,823

Curse you keyloggers!!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 20 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #62

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

I started a new character two days ago, Undead Mage this time. I'm already up to level 16. Is it me or are mages really overpowered? The majority of fights I've been in so far have resulted in me taking virtually no damage whatsoever.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Dec 20 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #63

Invader.

You want seriously overpowered get yourself an affliction spec warlock. Or a beast mastery hunter.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 20 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #64

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Mages are very powerful, but if you allow more than one nasty to get in close to you there will be a corpse run in the offing!

My second character is a lvl 43 Mage and great fun to play - you be wanting to put your talent points into the frost spells 'cause you can trigger frost traps on your opening hit that helps limit the damage you take.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Dec 20 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #65

Invader.

Just levelled my Shaman to the point where I've learned dual-wield. All I can say is that dual weapons + Windfury on one + Flametongue on the other = dead things, very quickly. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 20 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #66

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Dec 20 2006, 12:51 AM)
You want seriously overpowered get yourself an affliction spec warlock.

That's exactly what my first, main character is. And he's been nowhere near as overpowered for his level as the mage is so far. He's definitely become more powerful as I got higher level though (I mean in proportion, that is). At the part where you had to choose your pet from one of two, I went for Felhunter. I wish there were more magic caster enemies in the game because I can usually obliterate those with ease.

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 20 2006, 10:32 AM)
Mages are very powerful, but if you allow more than one nasty to get in close to you there will be a corpse run in the offing! 

My second character is a lvl 43 Mage and great fun to play - you be wanting to put your talent points into the frost spells 'cause you can trigger frost traps on your opening hit that helps limit the damage you take.

That's what I thought it'd be like, but it isn't. Mages have the frost nova spell which means any time you get stuck in a fight with multiple enemies, you just freeze them and leg it. They seem to have an answer for everything, mages. Usually I've found I can take on two or three enemies at the same time (good old polymorph and alchemy -> mana potions).

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Dec 20 2006, 01:48 PM

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 20 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #67

Space Cowboy

I'm thinking about having a go as a Shaman when the Burning Crusade comes out - when I can play and Alliance one!

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 20 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #68

I've only played Alliance with one character, a Dwarf Warrior, and found it utterly boring. For some odd reason I also seem to have totally run out of available quests and no quest has directed me to an area which is suitable for my current level (17), so I'm a bit stuck, wondering where to go at the moment.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 20 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #69

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Dec 20 2006, 01:56 PM)
I've only played Alliance with one character, a Dwarf Warrior, and found it utterly boring. For some odd reason I also seem to have totally run out of available quests and no quest has directed me to an area which is suitable for my current level (17), so I'm a bit stuck, wondering where to go at the moment.

Horde lvl 17? You should still have quests to do in the Barrens, but there should also be quests you can do in Stonetalon Mountains and soon (lvl 18) in Ashenvale Forest.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 21 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #70

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 20 2006, 06:58 PM)
Horde lvl 17?  You should still have quests to do in the Barrens, but there should also be quests you can do in Stonetalon Mountains and soon (lvl 18) in Ashenvale Forest.

No, it's the Alliance character that I can't find any quests for. I've got one in Loch Modan and that's about it.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 21 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #71

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Dec 21 2006, 12:28 AM)
No, it's the Alliance character that I can't find any quests for. I've got one in Loch Modan and that's about it.

Have you been to the Fastrider Lodge in Loch Modan? It's tucked away on the far side of the Loch [from Thelsamar] and there are three or four quests there, and another couple down at Ironband's Excavation Site.

If you've done those you are a bit low to be going into the Wetlands (20-30) just yet so I'd suggest you head for Westfall (10-20), Redridge Mountains (15-25) or Duskwood (18-30).

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 21 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #72

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Is there much storyline to WoW?

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 21 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #73

Space Cowboy

There's a huge amount of history and detail in the World of Warcraft universe, which has largely come about as the result of the back story to earlier versions of the game and their expansions.

After playing the game for the last eighteen months however, and reading two graphic novels and a paperback, I'd have to confess to not being at all clear on what it is all about!

There is a potted history of the WoW universe in the back of the manual supplied with the game, but if you try to read it as a newbie to the WoW universe it will confuse the hell out of you - as it did me - because there are far too many names, of places and people, to take in without any other frame of reference.

The basic upshot of the plot though - as far as I understand it - is that an "evil" of some kind came across the planet WoW is set on and went about trying to take it over. The two opposing factions of the Horde and the Alliance, eventually banded together and kicked it out - but the world was split in two in the process and the influence of the banished “evil” still lingers.

Since the "evil" was defeated, divisions between the two factions have re-surfaced and that’s where WoW starts off.

There is a whole host of detail to pad out the above, the split of the Night and Blood Elves, how the Orcs came to the planet, the creation of the Forsaken (Un-Dead), the Scourge, the, well you get the picture . . .

A lot of the story has been blatantly swiped from other fantasy sagas, or is fairly generic Sword and Sorcery kinda stuff.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 21 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #74

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Maybe I should have been clearer.

I meant, is there much story as you play, not just pre existing back story and history?

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 21 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #75

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 21 2006, 06:57 PM)
Maybe I should have been clearer.

I meant, is there much story as you play, not just pre existing back story and history?

Not really, no. The quest givers justify their quests with a little bit of waffle, but to be honest, it's not really possible to put in an evolving storyline into an MMO because after you've done a quest, someone else has to be able to do it as well, so all the things you killed, all the items you stole, etc will respawn in five minutes time, so someone else can kill or steal them, so there's no real sense of permanance to anything you do. It's not really a problem though, unless that's what you're specifically looking for. The world is very static (apart from when they add new content with patches), so logging on one day, the world will be in exactly the same state as it was yesterday on the large scale. It's more about what your character does than anything else. It's certainly not like Oblivion, where quests come to find you, or an action you take earlier in the game will affect something later on.

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:44 PM