IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World of Warcraft, Woz it all about, Elfie?
NiteFall
post Dec 21 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #76

Invader.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,823

Although as you play and get reputation with the various factions more backstory and npc story becomes apparent. So it isn't quite as static and unchanging as you make out. I'll admit that it isn't an MMO version of Oblivion, which seems to be your major gripe with it from reading your posts, but then again that would be an absolute nightmare, not just for the developers, but also for new players. "Ooh, I think I'll go do this cool thing that I heard ab... Oh no, wait. It's not there any more. Damn". tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 21 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #77

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

I wasn't trying to be condescending or insinuate WoW was shit, i was genuinely interested in it's dynamics smile.gif

It's just Final Fantasy 11 had awesome storylines, for each of the major starting cities and the expansions and then a ton of side quests to do.
I guess if you rationalise it, it doesnt really work, because how can the same people do a quest (like kill bahamut) when a group of people already did it.
But then again, thats the same as any quest in any MMO.

I really liked the Story in FF11. I quit RF Online as there was no story, just missions and PvP.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 24 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #78

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

Not far off level 20 with the mage that I only created a few days ago. Ridiculous considering that it took me a year to get my Warlock to 44. Then again I have played more WoW in the past 3 weeks than I probably have for most of the year.

+Quote Post
Douglas Nicol
post Dec 24 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #79

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,843

For anyone who's interested, there's also a boardgame.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17223

Look at the space the thing takes up!!!!! ohmy.gif

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fullimage/90248

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 26 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #80

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Dec 24 2006, 07:22 PM)
For anyone who's interested, there's also a boardgame.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17223

Look at the space the thing takes up!!!!!  ohmy.gif

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fullimage/90248

I've seen that in Forbidden Planet, the box is huge and weighs a ton!

To follow up on what others have said, in reply to monkeyman's question, I would say that although the world itself stays basically the same - as Nonus Aequilibrium said - the development of a story line for your character does take place as you work your way through the game.

In the general run of things the longer quests you take part in do have stories that unfold. So, from that point of view, there is a continuing narrative, but on the other hand nothing ever changes in the world overall because those same quests have to be completed by other players.

For example, you have a story line that evolves in Duskwood where you find, in a round about way, that a wizard called Morbent Fell is responsible for a lot of the dark happenings in the area. When you kill him the dark happenings don't stop, because others have to complete the same quest as well, but when you have finished the quest and re-visit characters in the area they still hail you as the defender of Duskwood who slew the nasty wizard (even though he's still alive and well in the hut at the top of the hill for other characters to go and kill!).

In the bigger picture the story line for the game is slowly moving forwards. The War Effort earlier this year, and the Invasion of the Scourge, were two events that took place for a finite time that when completed had moved the plot for the whole game forward - to varying degrees.

I believe The Burning Crusade expansion, apart from adding a whole load of new content, will also move the story forward as well.

So, in summary, it is an unfolding story from the point of view of your character - you learn more about the world and its people and a story line does evolve - but at the same time your impact on the world is usually negligible.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 6 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #81

Serenity.

My friend is still trying to convince me to play WoW, he even has a spare copy of the game, thing is I can't really find a reason to play it.

I really don't like the way it looks, I mean the actual style of it not the game as a whole. It is a bit cartoony and colourful for me.
As I understand it theres not really much of an important epic storyline for each character, something I really like to see in RPG's.
I'm not really interested in PvP so that whole side of it doesn't factor into whether I should get it or not.

I do like some of the races attributes (sucvh as Dwarf) and some of the job classes (like Hunter), but other than that I'm really struggling to find any reason why i should play it.

Am I being a dick or does it seem rational for me not to be interested due to my own tastes?

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Jan 6 2007, 04:57 PM

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Jan 6 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #82

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

I don't play the Sims but have nothing against it - I reckon you're okay not wanting to play it.

My mates got me into Guild Wars (similar to WoW) and then buggered off into weddinghood and travelling, I suppose you never know til you try. But it will keep you awake at night if you do play it!!

-m0r

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Jan 6 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #83

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 6 2007, 04:57 PM)
My friend is still trying to convince me to play WoW, he even has a spare copy of the game, thing is I can't really find a reason to play it.

I really don't like the way it looks, I mean the actual style of it not the game as a whole. It is a bit cartoony and colourful for me.
As I understand it theres not really much of an important epic storyline for each character, something I really like to see in RPG's.
I'm not really interested in PvP so that whole side of it doesn't factor into whether I should get it or not.

I do like some of the races attributes (sucvh as Dwarf) and some of the job classes (like Hunter), but other than that I'm really struggling to find any reason why i should play it.

Am I being a dick or does it seem rational for me not to be interested due to my own tastes?

I'm of a similar opinion, I got bored playing the original warcraft games because of thecartoonish qualities and the generic fantasy setting. I didn't play Dungeons and Dragons when I was into roleplaying for much the same reasons. Having said that I do believe quality of game play is all and there's lots of older poorly animated games that I prefer to modern beautiful looking ones.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 6 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #84

Invader.

Well, if you're undecided try out the free 2-week trial subscription. Long enough for you to form an opinion on the game in general and absolutely free. If you make a Horde character on the Dragonmaw server I'll boost you a bit even.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 7 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #85

Serenity.

i guess it can't hurt to give it a go, when I've finished with oblivion....in a year then laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 8 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #86

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 7 2007, 12:06 AM)
i guess it can't hurt to give it a go . . .

Famous last words . . . wink.gif

I got my Mage up to level 48 yesterday, I'm trying to make level 50 by the end of next weekend when I'll be going back to my Rogue for the release of The Burning Crusade.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 10 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #87

Serenity.

Is the Dwarven race any good?

They've always been my favourite race in works of fictiont hat feature them. Would be nice to play as one if they don't suck ass.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 11 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #88

Space Cowboy

There isn't a huge amount to choose between the different races - they do have some racial traits but mostly it's a case of picking a race you like and a class you want to play.

Personally I'd only play as a Dwarf if I was going to start a Hunter (or a possibly Warrior) as that seems fairly apt for that race (well, more apt than a Dwarf Priest anyway!).

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Jan 11 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #89

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 11 2007, 01:30 PM)
There isn't a huge amount to choose between the different races - they do have some racial traits but mostly it's a case of picking a race you like and a class you want to play.

Personally I'd only play as a Dwarf if I was going to start a Hunter (or a possibly Warrior) as that seems fairly apt for that race (well, more apt than a Dwarf Priest anyway!).

I have a dwarf warrior, and I find it completely boring to play. I got to level 18 then stopped playing because it was too dull. My horde characters (lvl 25 undead mage and lvl 48 orc warlock) are far more fun to play. I also found a total lack of pointers where to go and do quests for my dwarf warrior, I found myself stuck with only one quest to do (which was too hard to do on my own) and no one else giving quests that I could find. Usually you get a quest which leads you to a new area that's more suitable for your level, but that never happened.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 11 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #90

Invader.

If you have a lvl 55-60 character then get a group together and get yourselves to the Dark Portal in the southern Blasted Lands (just south of Swamp of Sorrows in the Eastern Kingdoms). There's a limited time world event going on there with a funky limited tabard quest reward. However if you're on a PvP server be prepared for a BIG fight.

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 06:22 AM