Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dead and Breakfast, The US answer to SotD
spacegurl
post May 31 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #31

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,345

QUOTE (New York Times)
Matthew Leutwylers horror movie about six young people trapped in a creepy small town goes for parody and fails.

This is probably just another Scary Movie. I think it can't really be compared to Shaun because Shaun is not a parody, there are film homages( rather than piss-takes) and Shaun focus more on it's own unique comedy rather than trying too hard to be funny with lame jokes and gross-out humour.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oxypoxadrin
post Jun 1 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #32

One Pinter

Member No.: 4,016

Yeah, too me it looks much less like an original homage, and a lot more like a blatant rip off of other zombie flicks.

Having said that, it does look nice and gory, and being the bloodthirsty freak I am, I still may enjoy it for that alone smile.gif

+Quote Post
spacemonkey
post Jun 2 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #33

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhta

Member No.: 3,241

Ok and I quote from the trailer
This is like a bad horror movie

Yup, that's cause it is...

And again from one of the blurbs on the trailer

"The funniest gorefest since cabin fever" - EFilmCritic.com

Which wasn't funny and was pretty damn shite...

Damn those critics know how to rub it in. I just really hope they were being ironic.

Even so, I'll probably end up watching it, getting disappointed and wondering why I watched it, just like all the other American horror spoofs I've seen in the last couple of years. I think they broke the mould after the Evil Dead series.

+Quote Post
Cult_Status02
post Nov 23 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #34

"Freeze, Rock!"

Member No.: 3,173

I haven't been on this site in a long ass time. But I wanted to tell everyone abotu Dead and Breakfast. It's wonderful. It's nothing like Shaun of the Dead except that it's a comedy with zombies. It's more like Brain Dead than anything.

This movie is a must see, I was laughing my ass off. It's wonderful humour and doesn't copy anything from Shaun of the Dead.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Nov 23 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #35

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

I have seen Dead and breakfast for a couple of times and I have to say, I enjoyed it. I didn't even think of Shaun, but of Dead Alive. It is definetly not as good as that one, but it is really funny. And you have to admit, that a hill-billy-comedy-musical with zombies is a good genre-mix.

It will never be a classic, but it definetly IS worth one and a half hour of your time! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Nov 23 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #36

No more smiling.

QUOTE (Cult_Status02 @ Nov 23 2005, 05:22 AM)
I haven't been on this site in a long ass time.  But I wanted to tell everyone abotu Dead and Breakfast.  It's wonderful.  It's nothing like Shaun of the Dead except that it's a comedy with zombies.  It's more like Brain Dead than anything.

This movie is a must see, I was laughing my ass off.  It's wonderful humour and doesn't copy anything from Shaun of the Dead.

My man.

+Quote Post
Rah
post Nov 23 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #37

One Pinter

Member No.: 4,674

It's the answer to "How could you make a massive pile of shit?"

+Quote Post
Mrs Bisley
post Nov 23 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #38

Rov'rum

Member No.: 4,384

hmmm... not sure about this one.... looks like a good 'un for a friday night with my mates but im not sure if id particularly like it.... hmmm.... oh, well..... cant always win....

not sure about the cymbal throwing thing though....

xxxx

This post has been edited by Mrs Bisley: Nov 23 2005, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 23 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #39

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (spacemonkey @ Jun 2 2005, 10:20 AM)
Which wasn't funny and was pretty damn shite...

'Cabin Fever' is a great comedy, it's like 'South Park: The Teen Horror Flick'.

It always amazed me they didn't play it up more as a comedy than a horror in the marketing. It makes me laugh as much as SotD and the gore's a darn sight better too. In fact I'd say SotD owes a lot to 'Cabin Fever' and that Eli Roth better achieved the balance between horror and comedy than Edgar did. Let's be honest no one is scared when watching SotD, but people were genuinely repulsed or frightened by Cabin Fever (despite it also being a very broad comedy, complete with full on punchline).

Bert, what the hell is that?

Huh? Oh, I'm gonna go shoot some squirrels.

Why would you want to kill squirrels?

Because they're gay.

Bert, don't be a fucking retard.

I'm kidding... I don't care if they're gay or straight, I'll kill them either way.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Nov 23 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #40

No more smiling.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 23 2005, 05:52 PM)
'Cabin Fever' is a great comedy, it's like 'South Park: The Teen Horror Flick'.

It always amazed me they didn't play it up more as a comedy than a horror in the marketing. It makes me laugh as much as SotD and the gore's a darn sight better too. In fact I'd say SotD owes a lot to 'Cabin Fever' and that Eli Roth better achieved the balance between horror and comedy than Edgar did. Let's be honest no one is scared when watching SotD, but people were genuinely repulsed or frightened by Cabin Fever (despite it also being a very broad comedy, complete with full on punchline).

In my opinion Cabin Fever is way to hyped. The flic has crap-characters and the comedy-part is not good balanced. After the first half, when I realised, that it won't get very funny, I started to be funny. The director has still a lot to learn and is no match for Edgar.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 23 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #41

Group Icon

QUOTE (Crutch @ Nov 23 2005, 08:19 PM)
In my opinion Cabin Fever is way to hyped. The flic has crap-characters and the comedy-part is not good balanced. After the first half, when I realised, that it won't get very funny, I started to be funny. The director has still a lot to learn and is no match for Edgar.

Yes Edgar's directorial pedigree is really set after one whole film, the consistency of quality is dazzling.

Both are young directors both have a lot to learn. 'Cabin Fever' was up there with SotD for me, and so far as the humour and horror being unbalanced, I suppose that depends on your point of view.

You say it's not funny at first, but that's when the comedy is more subtle. An undemanding audience can enjoy the film's opening as a straight horror and the more informed film buff can appreciated Roth's sly nudges (and of course the more blatent dialogue gags from the teens themselves). I thought the more ironic humour in the first half building into farce by the second half and finishing up at totally silly for the finale worked really well. Shaun retained a more constant tone throughout, but that doesn't mean it's a better film and comedy is always subjective.

Your point about the characters being crap doesn't really stand up to scrutiny since they're deliberate comedy stereotypes there to mock the teen horror genre. They react in stupid and predictable ways precisely because they're two dimensional characters.

Where all modern slasher flicks are now tongue in cheek I admired Cabin Fever for bringing back the unecessary gore and sex to the genre whilst maintaining the humour.

In my opinion it's a very underhyped and underappreciated film - I just don't think people 'get' it.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Nov 23 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #42

No more smiling.

I think to be a parody of the stereotypes, the charakters were way too "subtle." At least in MY opinion. I don't think that it is good for ANY movie, if you don't care, who will die next or if you even hope, that the most anoying ones are going to die soon.

And Edgar made some lil' british comedy-show, as you may know. That was also quite okay.

This post has been edited by Crutch: Nov 23 2005, 08:35 PM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 23 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #43

Group Icon

QUOTE (Crutch @ Nov 23 2005, 08:34 PM)
or if you even hope, that the most anoying ones are going to die soon.

Surely that's the fun of a horror film? I'm often cheering for the masked marauder - I mean who roots for the teens over Leatherface?

QUOTE (Crutch @ Nov 23 2005, 08:34 PM)
And Edgar made some lil' british comedy-show, as you may know. That was also quite okay.

I loved Spaced, don't get me wrong - but it's not a film and so I can only base Edgar's film direction skills on SotD, and though it's great it's not a masterpiece. He still has to prove his mettle for me.

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Nov 23 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #44

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

I've never considered Cabin Fever a comedy. Lots of horror films these days have comedic feels to them, but I wouldn't label this a comedy like I would Shaun of the Dead. In fact, I personally don't think this movie funny in a comedy kind of way. It's definitely over-the-top & outrageous but I would never label it a comedy.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 23 2005, 03:30 PM)
An undemanding audience can enjoy the film's opening as a straight horror and the more informed film buff can appreciated Roth's sly nudges

And blantant horror movie rip-offs. When you grew up on horror movies, you don't really see the "homage". You can't help but see the original that done much better.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 23 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #45

Group Icon

Not a comedy? The end of the film is a full-on punchline!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:07 AM