Total Votes: 130
Guests cannot vote 
fear_of_pop
post Jun 3 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #16

fuzzy little man peach

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,279

If you DID want to know, you could listen to his show on XFM, it's the only thing he's completely himself on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
butterfly_with_a...
post Jun 3 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #17

Goth Fairy

Member No.: 3,743

I prefer his stand-up to The Office (Politics was on last night)

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Jun 3 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #18

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

I like him a lot. I really enjoyed The Office but wary that it might be a one-trick pony thing. However, if you watch The American Office, you'll realize that Gervais is really what holds it all together. He's missing from the Amercian one and that's were it's "failure" is.

I've seen him do stand-up in "Animals" & also in other things as "himself". I don't know if he's a comic genius, but I do think that he's a very funny man overall. I would love to be a good friend of his. There should be more people like him (although not necessiarly in the public eye).

+Quote Post
maian
post Jun 3 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #19

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Don't think he's up to much as a stand-up, especially compared to some of the current comic geniuses around at the moment.

I really liked the Office, and i reserve my judgement of him til his new program comes on, but otherwise i think he's a one trick pony.

+Quote Post
Chris
post Jun 3 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #20

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,687

If you DID want to know, you could listen to his show on XFM, it's the only thing he's completely himself on.

Well without going into a long drawn out discussion about the construction and constitution of "the self" My point is that none of us know him...nor can we. I've listened to the XFM show many times - a big fan - but he's playing Ricky, which is what he does best

Chris

+Quote Post
spacegurl
post Jun 3 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 2,345

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jun 3 2005, 04:42 PM)
I like him a lot. I really enjoyed The Office but wary that it might be a one-trick pony thing. However, if you watch The American Office, you'll realize that Gervais is really what holds it all together. He's missing from the Amercian one and that's were it's "failure" is.

The US version of The Office is coming to BBC3 in a couple of weeks, it'll be interesting to see 'cos i really can not imagine it without Gervais. Brick Tamland plays Brent doesn't he?

+Quote Post
spunge_mad
post Jun 3 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #22

Two Pinter

Member No.: 4,031

i never realy bothered watching the office. His stand up was ok, nothing special though

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jun 4 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,514

I never really watched The Office, and when I did I was most amused by Tim/Dawn laughing at Gareth. The Brent dance was... well that got real old real fast, enough said. His funniest moment was probably the one where he was fired while wearing the ostrich costume... but that's the only one that springs to mind.

As for his stand-up, he isn't one of the greats but he's thoroughly watchable and I often do laugh out loud. "Politics" and "Animals" have both been on channel four and I have gone out of my way to watch them - good stuff.

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Jun 4 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #24

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

I preferred Animals to Politics but they both have classic moments, such as

"Oh, the carrier bag? I shat myself. What's the pension scheme like?"

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post Jun 4 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #25

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

Politics was, at least, better than Animals. But even then I only found about half of it funny.

But it's hard to find somebody funny when they are such a dislikeable character. Have you ever seen him interviewed? Smarmy, slimy little git.

He said during Politics, or at least strongly implied, that he was the best television stand-up around, which is untrue. He pales in comparison to Bill Bailey or Dylan Moran, or Billy Connolly or Jack Dee, for that matter.

And as if to add insult to injury he just couldn't help constantly rubbing in how much money these poor people had wasted on their tickets.

This post has been edited by Ghost_862: Jun 4 2005, 06:28 PM

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Jun 4 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #26

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jun 4 2005, 07:26 PM)
He said during Politics, or at least strongly implied, that he was the best television stand-up around, which is untrue. He pales in comparison to Bill Bailey or Dylan Moran, or Billy Connolly or Jack Dee, for that matter.

And as if to add insult to injury he just couldn't help constantly rubbing in how much money these poor people had wasted on their tickets.

"Some comedians were charging 20, but then I fought fuck it, you could what you pay for."
I think that's what you mean. Anyway, you aren't supposed to take what he says in his standup seriously, because it's pretty obvious it's like an act which does get laughs from the audience.
I seriously doubt he's like that in real life.

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jun 4 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,514

When he was interviewed on Johnathon Ross I thought he was pretty decent, mainly because he knows Johnathon and has known him for a long time - he appeared fairly genuine. Whereas when interviewed on Newsnight - which was shown as an extra on one of his DVDs - he was a little smug. Although when the presenter was filming her questions and reactions his comments were rather amusing...

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post Jun 4 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #28

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

I was thinking more of the Parkinson interview. He came across as very rude.

+Quote Post
wherearethespoon...
post Jun 5 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #29

Victor Meldrew Junior

Member No.: 2,677

I'm not sure of what he's like as a person or whatever, though I have spoken to someone that knows him and he reckons he's a really nice bloke.

Anyway, I'm not bothered about all that. Comedy wise I loved The Office and I thought Animals was very funny. Politics not as good, in fact not that good really. The thing I liked about Animals is that he genuinely seemed to be interested in the subject but with Politics there wasn't much enthusiasm or effort.

If he is a one trick pony then it's working well for him. I think he probably is a one trick pony and it's just a matter of time before people get bored with this particular trick.

If he mentions that twat Karl Pilkington one more time though...

+Quote Post
fear_of_pop
post Jun 6 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #30

fuzzy little man peach

Member No.: 2,279

It really surprises me that people think he's smug. I think he's so self deprecating. Maybe if you only see one interview you might misunderstand him, not see the sarcasm, I don't know.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 02:32 PM