Total Votes: 130
Guests cannot vote 
Henry Krinkle
post Aug 15 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #166

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,821

QUOTE (spacegurl @ Aug 15 2005, 12:21 PM)
Im suprised you kept reading after,

I assumed it was street slang that all the kool kidz were saying.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fear_of_pop
post Aug 15 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #167

fuzzy little man peach

Member No.: 2,279

QUOTE (I-am-the-movie @ Aug 15 2005, 12:36 AM)
i agree, andys really cute like when he was watching tv and thingy rang him.he was really cute then.

Aw, they were both cute.
*I* wanna be Andy's platonic thick best friend.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 16 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #168

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

I watched last weeks episode last night and I think it was the weakest of the lot so far, although the theatre father figure was rather amusing. Fair play to Les Dennis though for doing that to himself. I just couldn't decide if it was funny.

Something that's shining through is that Andy and Maggie are both seemingly nice people trying to do the right thing but getting into "scrapes" as they do so. I love Maggie more and more each episode, especially for the last bit of the episode where she was lying on the sofa in, dare I say it, a baggy jumper....

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Aug 17 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #169

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

Extras leak.

+Quote Post
Cornetto
post Aug 17 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #170

"Now in Bird Flu Flavour"

Member No.: 3,408

I was watching his stand up gig Politics on E4 and he was talking about child molestation and Cumming on peoples backs??? is that good comedy the answer is certainly no.

+Quote Post
fear_of_pop
post Aug 17 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #171

fuzzy little man peach

Member No.: 2,279

Yeah, cause Spaced is all about biscuits and kittens.
You are a strange one, Cornetto...

+Quote Post
KINGofCOMEDY
post Aug 17 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #172

Guests

okay..well...yea

first of all i spelt banal, benile and i think we all agree that for that i should be flogged and paraded through the streets of London so that my peers may remember the shame i brought upon the world of spelling bee champions.

Secondly, calling Ricky Gervais..something dog face, was not constructive and childish and i again apologise (parade is optional)

Thricely, i realise this a spaced forum, which means that you are all fans of Simon Pegg and...the rest, but i ask , are you fans because there is nothing else or because you actually enjoy it?...am i missing something??

Fouthly, The similarities between Brent and this guy from extras as characters are excruitiatingly obvious and boring. I mean if your comedic diet is Black Books,Spaced and Green Wing then MAYBE it would wash over you and you would laugh and then report to the auditorium for 2 minutes hate!...

the humour in an episode is glaringly trite and slow having characters placed only so that we can go " oh i can't believe he just said that to a girl with cerebal palsy oh no thats so embarassing i shouldn't laugh ...let me hide behind this bottle of Cabernet (or in some cases iron brew)", the use of celebrity characters is clumsy compared to a show such as Gary Shandling's "The Larry Sander Show" that Gervais himself has commented as being an influence. There is no reveal, just a sequence of what i can only described as orchestrated fumblings leading to an anti-climatic fumble...

This middle-class perspective comedy these shows create is so terribly aspirational that it completely shadows the comedy itself. A show such as " A Bear's Tale" should be collected and shot off into the depth of space never to be spoken of again and we should just pray that aliens don't find it and use it as the reason to wage war on us all!

What am i trying to say i hear you cry...or maybe shut the f**k up!- either way what i'm saying is this. Sitcom's in this country are an illustration of the nepotism within the industry- taking hopeful comedic actors like Stephen Mangan and killing them in crap like Green Wing.

Now all i want is for people to tell me...how....just how....Black Books is funny...even though i like Dylan Moran as a stand-up the show is so indulgent and obvious and plagiarised in elements to boot that it makes me want to read...read!!
(don't worry i didn't)

But as long as the bewildered herd are happy who am i to question the euphoria...lap it up my heathens lap away...

seriously though tell me why you think its funny?

tah-ra!

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Aug 17 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #173

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

QUOTE (KINGofCOMEDY @ Aug 17 2005, 07:40 PM)
seriously though tell me why you think its funny?

tah-ra!

What's the point? I don't mean that rudely, but if it doesn't make you laugh, it doesn't make you laugh and no lecture on the mechanics of comedy is going to change your mind.

Having said that, while I don't agree that Ricky Gervais himself is a one trick pony, I think the series might turn out to be.

+Quote Post
pots
post Aug 18 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #174

escapee

Member No.: 2,818

QUOTE (KINGofCOMEDY @ Aug 17 2005, 07:40 PM)
I mean if your comedic diet is Black Books,Spaced and Green Wing then MAYBE it would wash over you and you would laugh and then report to the auditorium for 2 minutes hate!...

This middle-class perspective comedy these shows create is so terribly aspirational that it completely shadows the comedy itself.

But as long as the bewildered herd are happy who am i to question the euphoria...lap it up my heathens lap away...

hi kingofcomedy - i've just picked out a few phrases that seem to make no sense at all. can you explain them any better for me please? only nonsensical ramblings tend to reflect poorly on the person posting them, particularly if they take the form of casual and arrogant abuse ( "heathens"? where the fuck did that come from? )

so what non aspirational, non middle class, non nepotist, non plagiarised comedy should we be watching? if you could give us some pointers just so we know what we should be laughing at.

and its george costanza in seinfeld, by the way.

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Aug 18 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #175

Guests

QUOTE (pots @ Aug 18 2005, 01:58 AM)
hi kingofcomedy - i've just picked out a few phrases that seem to make no sense at all. can you explain them any better for me please? only nonsensical ramblings tend to reflect poorly on the person posting them, particularly if they take the form of casual and arrogant abuse ( "heathens"? where the fuck did that come from? )

I think he, or she, is trying to point out that they're better than us.

QUOTE (pots @ Aug 18 2005, 01:58 AM)
so what non aspirational, non middle class, non nepotist, non plagiarised comedy should we be watching? if you could give us some pointers just so we know what we should be laughing at.

Ahh, but if we watched such things they would become popular and, by extension, shit. You know the argument - if more than three people like something it's mainstream and worthless.

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Aug 18 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #176

Guests

QUOTE (KINGofCOMEDY @ Aug 14 2005, 03:37 PM)
But this is the face of the british sitcom...so far removed from the Steptoes and Only fools and horses and more contemporarily the Red Dwarfs and Thin Blue lines  we have Black Books and Scrubs i mean Green Wing to contend with...not to mention the My Family;s and Something about Alices...and The Crouches and and...ohh what a world ....David Jason must be turning in his grave ( i know , shut-up)

If the items I have emboldened are your comedy benchmarks, then maybe, just maybe, Spaced & Black Books might be a bit too cutting edge for you (I refer to the later seasons of Red Dwarf, also known as 'The Shit Years').

You know, what's most annoying is that you're one of these people that assumes because you don't like something, everyone who does must be mad or summat, cos you're obviously the font of all comedic knowledge.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Aug 18 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #177

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

Anyone else see Ashley Jenson on BBC Breakfast this morning?

Oh, she's adorable.

+Quote Post
Cornetto
post Aug 18 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #178

"Now in Bird Flu Flavour"

Member No.: 3,408

QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Aug 17 2005, 10:17 AM)
Yeah, cause Spaced is all about biscuits and kittens.
You are a strange one, Cornetto...

Yeah but spaced wasn't about child molestation, if thats the sort of comedy your into fine, It wasn't wrapped up in wool or dimmed down on the swearing either so In conclusion Gervais is a prick.
I wouldn't say I'm strange I would say I’m 'mint'... see what I did there.... yeah I see where you’re coming from about the strange. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Aug 18 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #179

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

Extras series 2

+Quote Post
Blind I/O
post Aug 18 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #180

Would you like to see my mask?

Member No.: 2,406

QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 18 2005, 01:57 PM)
Oh, she's adorable.

What a legend.

Though that episode had me curled up in a ball laughing at some parts, there's still something about the series that's a little bit... off.. I dunno. When it's good though, Extra's really is very good.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 06:28 PM