Guests cannot vote 
Sean of the Dead
post Aug 18 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #181

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,924

Cringworthy last moments...

But face in soup will forever be a classic, add a bit of salt.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 18 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #182

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (KINGofCOMEDY @ Aug 14 2005, 02:37 PM)
  we have Black Books and Scrubs i mean Green Wing to contend with...

Yes it is easy to get Scrubs & Green Wing confused....both are set in hospitals..and...and...

QUOTE (KINGofCOMEDY @ Aug 14 2005, 02:37 PM)
So now that i have blamed Ricky Gervais and the BBC and C4 "elite" indirectly for the downfall of the modern britcom ....
tah-ra! biggrin.gif

Leaving us with the wonderful comedic output of ITV & C5

QUOTE (KINGofCOMEDY @ Aug 17 2005, 06:40 PM)
Thricely, i realise this a spaced forum, which means that you are all fans of Simon Pegg and...the rest, but i ask , are you fans because there is nothing else or because you actually enjoy it?...am i missing something??

Maybe we enjoy it because its a welcome (and funnier) alternative to what there is. Seems you are "missing something" when it comes to understanding why Spaced/Pegg is funny...so why come here?

Tonights Extras was a welcome change...it showed it could still be good without relying on celebs sending themselves up.

+Quote Post
KINGofCOMEDY
post Aug 18 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #183

Guests

superfurryandy,Aug 18 2005, 12:41 PM] cos you're obviously the font of all comedic knowledge

yea superfurryandy i guess your right

rolleyes.gif

tah-ra!

+Quote Post
KINGofCOMEDY
post Aug 18 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #184

Guests

First i would just like to say, correcting someone's spelling on a blog is sooo sooo low, is this a test?...sheez

anywhoooooo

Sostie,Aug 18 2005, 09:59 PM]

Leaving us with the wonderful comedic output of ITV & C5

I'm not saying that ITV (SHANE..oh my lord) and C5 are giving anything worth shaking a stick at but C4 and BBC just aren't doing it for me.
Though someone did call Black Books cutting edge..which was funny...that guy should look for a job..

Sostie, i'm thinking your a standup guy so i'll make this point to you...It is not only me saying that comedy in this country is in disaray ( sorry if thats spelt wrong, i forgot my dickshunary),alots changed silently within the industry and the writing's just not up to scratch and even if it is its just not getting to the actors... so they take what there is and run with it..

(and marketing tells them to put on a smile and say your loving it or you'll be doing scratch performances and stand up at some crappy fringe till you die!) or they've got self absorbed people having there ego's stroked until they forget their supposed to be trying to make people laugh...no one wants "cutting-edge" i just want to have a laugh...

but i think the problem is diversity, the doors are so tightly closed you can only get in by osmosis...and therefore only the most slimy of us survive. Maybe i'm wrong, maybe its funny ( lol..i'm relentless)

i mean Dylan Moran is a good stand up but Bill Bailey..no...just...just NO

Maybe we enjoy it because its a welcome (and funnier) alternative to what there is.  Seems you are "missing something" when it comes to understanding why Spaced/Pegg is funny...so why come here?

Granted, Black Books is funnier than say, Shane...but that doesn't make it "funny"
thats like saying London in December is warmer than Juneau but that doesn't make London,Suva ..you know?

Why come here?...cause (1) it's a free country and (2) i like discussing things with people that i don't agree with...it lets me see another perspective, i don't have to like it.

tah-ra!

This post has been edited by KINGofCOMEDY: Aug 18 2005, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post
pots
post Aug 18 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #185

escapee

Member No.: 2,818

QUOTE (KINGofCOMEDY @ Aug 18 2005, 11:57 PM)
First i would just like to say, correcting someone's spelling on a blog is sooo sooo low, is this a test?...sheez!

nah, its not a test, it just makes it easier to understand - and makes you look a little less like an idiot. i've read two of your efforts and i still don't know what you're trying to say. you don't like ricky gervais or black books? fine. it is, as you say, a free country. but...

i like discussing things with people that i don't agree with..

well why don't you then? instead of posting rubbish? what do you like? whats funny? red dwarf and the thin blue line? only fools and horses? anything from this decade? what should we be watching? you see we only watch spaced and black books because we are all simon pegg fans and there is nothing else on. not because its well written or original, or fun, or different, or intelligent or anything like that.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Aug 18 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #186

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

First i would just like to say, correcting someone's spelling on a blog is sooo sooo low, is this a test?...sheez

This is no blog, it's a forum! We tend to prefer people who spell properly and write gramatically because their posts are easier to understand.

Sostie, i'm thinking your a standup guy so i'll make this point to you...It is not only me saying that comedy in this country is in disaray ( sorry if thats spelt wrong, i forgot my dickshunary),alots changed silently within the industry and the writing's just not up to scratch and even if it is its just not getting to the actors... so they take what there is and run with it..

I don't think it really matters how many people are saying it: is it true or not? I suspect not. I'll grant you that the average sitcom of today is not as good as the classics of the past, but hasn't that always been the case? Shouldn't you be comparing today's output not only to Steptoe and Son but also Love thy Neighbour?

i mean Dylan Moran is a good stand up but Bill Bailey..no...just...just NO
Granted, Black Books is funnier than say, Shane...but that doesn't make it "funny"
thats like saying London in December is warmer than Juneau but that doesn't make London,Suva ..you know?

Well, I enjoy Bill Bailey's stand-up, though I wish he'd update his material more often.

The fact the Black Books is funnier than Shane is not what makes it funny, it's the dialogue, acting and jokes that make it funny.

+Quote Post
Blind I/O
post Aug 18 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #187

Would you like to see my mask?

Member No.: 2,406

I was going to address the forum/blog issue, but got distracted and ended up taking 20 minutes for a 5 minute job. Anyway, this is a response to KoC

I'm not going to get into a discussion about it, but is there any modern comedy you like?

Only Fools and Horses is a big pile of shit. Although that bloke with the moustache has got a good laugh, and that bit where he misses the bar is so funny I could watch it.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen quite a bit of it as a kid, even made me laugh on occasion back then. And I've still got a soft spot for Thin Blue Line.

These days, I'm quite a fan of the more modern comedians - I think you're beef isn't so much with the quality of the production, more with the move to a more surreal style of comedy. If you don't get it that's fine, but just saying "no, no it's not good" isn't really a well structured arguement. You're also being quite condescending in tone, and there's no need for that. Quite a few of us here are intelligent enough to understand marketing, and polysyllabic words, too, at a push. We're not "buying in" to alternative comedy because we've been told to by companies or comtemporaries, or because it's the lesser of two evils.

So you like old comedy, that's fine, lot's of people do. We like new comedy. A more subtle, more wierd style, y'might say, but it's what makes us laugh. Although in some respects I do pine for the days when comedians (more on the stand-up front, I suppose) actually talked about something relevant. But oh well. You're right that there's a lot of samey stuff out there these days, but that's how it's always been. Give it a few years and tastes'll have changed again, and maybe we'll be in the same position you are now, trying to get through to people that what these whippersnappers are doing just isn't up to scratch. Or maybe we'll enjoy that comedy, too.

And Andy brought up a good point - what did you think of the more recent series' of Red Dwarf? They were rather ballsack, weren't they?

This post has been edited by Blind I/O: Aug 18 2005, 11:46 PM

+Quote Post
spacegurl
post Aug 19 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #188

Member No.: 2,345

Though someone did call Black Books cutting edge..which was funny...that guy should look for a job..

mellow.gif Who should look for a job?

Sostie, i'm thinking your a standup guy so i'll make this point to you...It is not only me saying that comedy in this country is in disaray .

But compared to what other country? It's fine that you think that but British humour isn't renowned across the globe for nothing. Of course there's as much shit out there as there is quality comedy, but we all can't expect to like absolutely everything. What's wrong with a little diversity? You happen to dislike Bill Bailey while on the other hand he has a large amount of appreciative fans.

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Aug 19 2005, 08:01 AM
Post #189

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

First i would just like to say
tah-ra!

mellow.gif

Anyway...
I thought last nights Extras was the weakest so far. I know that the show doesn't really rely on the guest stars, but I thought Samuel L Jackson was a bit under used. They could have equally stuck in any black fella to do his bit and it would have made no difference. I just felt a bit let down. The show is nice in the way it slowly builds up to a big incident at the end (Stiller's freak out, Ross Kemp's shame, etc), if not two incidents. The conclusion to Andy's story, with him having a break down (of sorts) in the restaurant had me laughing away. Maggie's story just seemed a bit too much like a similar thing that happened in The Office. The scene at the end with Samuel L Jackson was like a remake of a similar scene in The Office. It was slightly lazy.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy the episode as a whole, I just thought that the ending went exactly as I expected it to and left me a bit disappointed.
I loved the bit in the graveyard though. The story they were making up was becoming more and more ridiculous, but the way they just kept on playing along was hilarious.

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Aug 19 2005, 08:37 AM
Post #190

Guests

but i think the problem is diversity, the doors are so tightly closed you can only get in by osmosis...and therefore only the most slimy of us survive.

Ah! Can't get a gig then?

+Quote Post
spacegurl
post Aug 19 2005, 09:12 AM
Post #191

Member No.: 2,345

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Aug 19 2005, 09:01 AM)
I loved the bit in the graveyard though. The story they were making up was becoming more and more ridiculous, but the way they just kept on playing along was hilarious.

biggrin.gif

"You're Jewish?"
"Oy.."

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Aug 19 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #192

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

"How old are you then?"
"Ummm, at least 52, 53..." laugh.gif

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Aug 19 2005, 09:36 AM
Post #193

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

Maggie is fast approaching legend status in my eyes.

'I hate reggea!'

+Quote Post
superfurryandy
post Aug 19 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #194

Guests

That would be me, and I was commenting on your seemingly traditionalist view of comedy.

Anyway, please explain why I should look for a job?

Back on topic - I watched Extras last night - That's three out of the five I've seen and my general reaction is 'meh'.

+Quote Post
Middle Class Hob...
post Aug 19 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #195

Speaking up for asseholes everywhere

Member No.: 3,304

I watched Extras for the first time last night. I kept forgetting it up to that point so far, being a big office fan I dont know why. A few notes, A: Gervais is Brent except he's not totally devoid of social skills and does not live in a fantasy world, I actually liked his character. The Maggie character is very likeable even though she is a bit mad, I think that my judgement is clouded as she is a hottie wub.gif . The patience that black actor had for her was unbelieveable and made the fact they were setting up for the confrontation with Samuel Jackson really obvious. It is more of a traditional sitcom then the Office and is just about laughs whereas the Office was about so much more

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:09 PM