Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ASIAN CINEMA
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Sostie
For me, some of the best cinema is coming,and has come, from of the east - Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, Thailand etc. So, to partly feed my obsession and get some recommendations, I thought I'd start this thread for recommendations, suggestions, questions etc.
And I am going to start with a recommendation.

Go see KUNG-FU HUSTLE...it is so far (and probably going to be) my film of the year. Most fun film I've seen since...well probably Chow's last one Shoalin Soccer..

And a question. Has anyone seen Miike's MPH-PSYCHO series yet..are they worth buying
whitey
MPD Psycho is a weird one. I got them, I loved them, but I don't know how often I'll watch them. My favourites of Miike's output so far are still Dead or Alive, Visitor Q and Ichi The Killer.
Sostie
QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 24 2005, 12:49 AM)
MPD Psycho is a weird one. I got them, I loved them, but I don't know how often I'll watch them. My favourites of Miike's output so far are still Dead or Alive, Visitor Q and Ichi The Killer.

Thanks Whitey. You probably picked my fave Miike there (though I have about 6 waiting to be watched).

His last film, Izo, was one of the worst things I ever saw, but I saw a trailer for his new film, The Big Spook War (US Title)...he looks like he is in Never Ending Story territory.
Blind I/O
I do have a love of asian cinema, but can't really recommend stuff, because I haven't really seen enough, other than the "obvious" and a huge chunk of Miike's stuff. I still haven't managed to watch Visitor Q again, which is really something for me. Probably because I last saw it in the small hours during a heavy insomnia period.

Izo was pretty boring, but I could see what he was trying for. The man has just done so many narcotics...
Sostie
QUOTE (Blind I/O @ Jun 24 2005, 01:02 AM)
Izo was pretty boring, but I could see what he was trying for. The man has just done so many narcotics...

You'd think that a film that had zombies and samurais, featuring Takeshi Kitano and made by Miike would be a dream come true smile.gif
JeffStuka
Ichi the Killer was funny and very good. I loved the smoke coming out of the sides of yer fella's mouth. Impressively gruesome. Obviously Battle Royale was great too (but two wasn't great according to everyone I know who has watched it so I didn't have to)

Got Oldboy waiting at home to be watched. Been saving it up for a night of popcorn and booze.

I've only scratched the surface of asian cinema falling into it through Anime and the recent Japanese Horrorfest that's been keeping hollywood in remakes for the last few years.
Jessopjessopjessop
One of my favourites recently was Infernal Affairs (I've only seen the first one).
Superbly directed, tense, moving, great performances - what's not to like?

I really want to see Oldboy too.
JeffStuka
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 24 2005, 10:52 AM)
DVD under a tenner in Music zone!
Sostie
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 24 2005, 09:52 AM)
One of my favourites recently was Infernal Affairs (I've only seen the first one).
Superbly directed, tense, moving, great performances - what's not to like?

Infernal Affairs was an amazing film, and the sequels are not too bad either.

Oldboy is essential. Its a rare film where you finish watching it and just think "stunning".
Jinx
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 11:09 AM)
Infernal Affairs was an amazing film, and the sequels are not too bad either.

Oldboy is essential.  Its a rare film where you finish watching it and just think "stunning".

Agree on Oldboy - it's the best film I saw last year. It's beautiful. After watching it I got hold of all of Park Chan-Wook's stuff. Sympathy For Mr Vengeance is very good, if rather bleak in tone, and his debut JSA is absolutely brilliant. Would recommend all of his films without hesitation (Oldbo & Vengeance are a bit gory though).

I thought Infernal Affairs was good too - except I felt they milked the shot on the cover a bit. (Seriously, how many time do you need to see someone pull out a gun?)

Beat Takeshi is easily one of my fave writer/director/actors of all time. I think his best is either Hana-Bi or Sonataine. Boiling Point's really funny, though and I have a real soft spot for Kikujiro

Anyone seen Bad Guy? Or The Isle?
Next on my shopping list is either Failan or My Sassy Girl.

For some reason, I never ever bought into the cult of John Woo.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Jinx @ Jun 24 2005, 10:44 AM)
For some reason, I never ever bought into the cult of John Woo.

Yeah, I don't like him either. I think he'll be the first director to make an enitire feature in sloooooooow-motion. Pah!
ronlogan1977
I watched Shaolin Soccer last night. Its a great film.
shazam
the audition.
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Jun 24 2005, 12:44 PM)
I watched Shaolin Soccer last night. Its a great film.

FACT: It's in my top 10 biggrin.gif
whitey
I was never impressed with Hana Bi, but everybody always raves about it. Did I miss something?
beatoswald
I just ordered Happy Together, As Tears Go By and Memories of A Murder off play.com.

I hope to see Kung-Fu Hustle tonight.
whitey
For those who have multi-region players Kung Fu Hustle has been available from CD-WOW for quite some time for a mere 9.99
Sostie
QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 24 2005, 05:06 PM)
For those who have multi-region players Kung Fu Hustle has been available from CD-WOW for quite some time for a mere 9.99

And its a very good print too. The elitist in me doesn't want the film to be huge, but I hope it is...I can't recall the last time a film got so many rave reviews.
whitey
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 06:35 PM)
And its a very good print too.  The elitist in me doesn't want the film to be huge, but I hope it is...I can't recall the last time a film got so many rave reviews.

I know exactly what you mean. I was really gutted when Miyazaki started becoming popular.
Sostie
QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 24 2005, 05:47 PM)
I know exactly what you mean. I was really gutted when Miyazaki started becoming popular.

Aaah but wasn't it satisfying, when someone would rave about Spirited Away and you would turn around and say "aaah but its not as good as.." and you would list as many films of his as possible biggrin.gif
whitey
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 07:05 PM)
Aaah but wasn't it satisfying, when someone would rave about Spirited Away and you would turn around and say "aaah but its not as good as.." and you would list as many films of his as possible  biggrin.gif

That was a bit good yes.
Ade
With the exception of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon a few years back, I have only just dipped my toe in the Asian cinema waters over this last few months, but what I've seen so far has been nothing short of excellent, namely OldBoy (stunning), Spirited Away (mesmerising), Zatoichi (thoroughly entertaining).

I have ordered Ong-Bak (pre-order) and House Of Flying Daggers which should arrive soon. Tempted to order Shaolin Soccer now too. I already have Infernal Affairs and Hana-Bi DVDs sat on the shelf waiting to be watchified. Puzzling over which one to watch tonight actually...

QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 24 2005, 06:06 PM)

Damn you Whitey, you really shouldn't have said that! But I'm glad you did.

*rifles through wallet for credit card*

Gah, more expense!
Sostie
QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 24 2005, 06:30 PM)
. Tempted to order Shaolin Soccer now too. I already have Infernal Affairs and Hana-Bi DVDs sat on the shelf waiting to be watchified. Puzzling over which one to watch tonight actually...

Well if you like football you will love Shaolin Soccer. If you don't, there is still plenty to enjoy. The film went round work, and everyone who saw it went and ordered their own copy. These are people who mostly had never bothered with subtitled films before.

Hana-Bi I love - it will always be in my top 5. But I'd go for Infernal Affairs - its got two of Honk Kong's greats - Andy Lau & Tony Leung, who as well as being brilliant, irritatingly haven't aged in 20 years. The plot is simple, but brilliant. And you have to watch it before Scorsese's remake comes out next year.

Talking of which - get Dark Water. Remake out next month, but the original has to be seen. One of the best horrors of recent years.
whitey
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 07:50 PM)
Well if you like football you will love Shaolin Soccer.  If you don't, there is still plenty to enjoy.  The film went round work, and everyone who saw it went and ordered their own copy.  These are people who mostly had never bothered with subtitled films before.

I don't know anybody who didn't love it. I showed it to people who aren't into kung-fu, football or subtitles and they still loved it.
Ade
I have already seen the trailer for Shaolin Soccer, several times - I know what to expect, and I don't expect I'll be disappointed. And Kung-Fu Hustle also looks fantastic.

So, Infernal Affairs it is then, that's that sorted! Off to watch now with all speed.
Sostie
QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 24 2005, 07:37 PM)
I have already seen the trailer for Shaolin Soccer, several times - I know what to expect, and I don't expect I'll be disappointed. And Kung-Fu Hustle also looks fantastic.

So, Infernal Affairs it is then, that's that sorted! Off to watch now with all speed.

Don't forget to tell us what you thought of it
Zoe
I'd like to give a mention to 'Tears of the Black Tiger' - Marvellous Thai Western/Fairytale/Romance/Comedy/Drama which is more inventive with colour than any Western film I can think of. Some of it's technicolor, some sepia tinted - it's really stunning to watch. The closest thing I can think of in tone is 'The Princess Bride'

I own it and frequently force confused visitors to enjoy it with me.
Stella MM
Audition is viley disgusting and horrible and I loved it.

A Tale of Two Sisters didn't grab me, I have to say, but Zoe and my other half loved it and they've got great taste so it's got to be worth a recommendation.
Zoe
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Jun 24 2005, 09:10 PM)
A Tale of Two Sisters didn't grab me, I have to say, but Zoe and my other half loved it and they've got great taste so it's got to be worth a recommendation.

Ahhh that sounds as if we all went to the cinema together.

Scared the shit out of me that one - in a good way you understand.

Right I'd like to add 'Nowhere to Hide' - Fast paced and visually inventive (yes again) Korean crime caper. Some really brilliant fight scenes and great characters.
Stella MM
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 24 2005, 09:16 PM)
Ahhh that sounds as if we all went to the cinema together.

Scared the shit out of me that one - in a good way you understand.

The film or the thought of going to the cinema in a crazy threesome with a person you've never met and her boyfriend?

wink.gif

TOTS did scare me while watching it, but the ending kind of negated it all.
Zoe
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Jun 24 2005, 09:18 PM)
The film or the thought of going to the cinema in a crazy threesome with a person you've never met and her boyfriend?

wink.gif
TOTS did scare me while watching it, but the ending kind of negated it all.

Yeah...

Plot's not the film's strong point. Still shit scary though.

I'm always going to the cinema with couples - that's normal isn't it? Sometimes I just go on my own and accost random couples in the queue. Pretending to be blind and needing assistance often works.

Just kidding.

I meet them on the internet.
Blind I/O
Many of the above are what I, as an fan of asian cinema, termed under "obvious". One of the more overlooked but still quite "massive" Japanese films, and a favourite of mine is Princess Blade (Shura Yukihime), quite comic book style set in the near future about a female assasin, seeking vengence for the death of her clan, who were employed to rid the Shogunate of a group of rebels. Cue katana.
Sostie
Tears Of The Black Tiger & Tale Of Two Sisters are on the shelf waiting to be watched.

The opening of Nowhere To Hide is brilliant. Princess Bride is a good one too.

I don't think enough people have seen The Returner - it borrows a lot from Terminator/Matrix (but then that's what Japan does - absorbs outside influences and make them their own) but is very slick and entertaining. Also has great Transformer-like jet/space ship.

And I know I keep going on about it but My Sassy Girl is a real must-see.
Stella MM
Bugger. I tried to add My Sassy Girl to my online rental list after your continued recommendation, Sostie, but the bastards don't have it.
Sostie
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Jun 24 2005, 08:42 PM)
Bugger. I tried to add My Sassy Girl to my online rental list after your continued recommendation, Sostie, but the bastards don't have it.

It was huge in Korea, but has never had a Western release. Your best bet at the moment is a copy fom ebay . Call me a conspiracy theorist, but that film and a few other Korean films were bought up by Hollywood for remakes...and have since never appeared on DVD or at the cinema in the West.
Stella MM
Without wishing to sound like a cautious little old lady, if I get a copy from Ebay is it likely to be a camcorder-in-the-cinema job?
Sostie
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Jun 24 2005, 08:49 PM)
Without wishing to sound like a cautious little old lady, if I get a copy from Ebay is it likely to be a camcorder-in-the-cinema job?

You'll be okay...its available officially in Korea, Hong Kong & Japan. I'll try and find out which version is the best.

or try

www.dddhouse.com
Stella MM
Ta! Will have a look now.
Blind I/O
My Sassy Girl is great happy.gif You must all see this movie. biggrin.gif

Wanna die?
whitey
My Sassy Girl - 7.99 Region 3. Might check this out myself.
Blind I/O
I've come back from a food shop with OldBoy and Versus. I may well watch both this evening...
Ade
QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 24 2005, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 08:39 PM)
Don't forget to tell us what you thought of it

Loved it. Was a bit confused right at the beginning, partly because I wasn't reading fast enough, but once it got going I was totally absorbed. Looking forward to seeing Parts II & III now. Anyone else got any opinions on those?

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 24 2005, 09:07 PM)
I'd like to give a mention to 'Tears of the Black Tiger' - Marvellous Thai Western/Fairytale/Romance/Comedy/Drama which is more inventive with colour than any Western film I can think of. Some of it's technicolor, some sepia tinted - it's really stunning to watch. The closest thing I can think of in tone is 'The Princess Bride'

I own it and frequently force confused visitors to enjoy it with me.

Sounds good to this kid. 6.99 at Play.com...Sold!
I am so dreading my Mastercard bill next month.

QUOTE (Blind I/O @ Jun 25 2005, 02:08 PM)
I've come back from a food shop with OldBoy and Versus. I may well watch both this evening...

I heartily insist that at the very least you watch OldBoy - 'tis blisteringly superb!
JeffStuka
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 09:36 PM)
Tears Of The Black Tiger
Watched this about a year ago when my mate got it out of library. Seem to remember a lot of mental stuff with thai cowboys though I was rather drunk.

Watched Oldboy on friday and was stunned as was my girlfriend and a couple of moths that flew in to the room,
Sostie
Its been out nearly a week, so has anyone seen Kung-Fu Hustle yet?
Blind I/O
At the cinema? I knew there was something out this week. Next Tuesday.
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 30 2005, 12:41 AM)
Its been out nearly a week, so has anyone seen Kung-Fu Hustle yet?

No, but the DVD arrived from CD-Wow today, yay!
Gonna watch it tomorrow.
joelb
saw kung fu hustle yesterday, it's loads of fun. doesn't make much sense, but it's all in a kind of tex avery style, and the fights are very impressive, if at times a bit too CGI-laden. but any film whose main influences are martial arts and cartoons is never gonna score low...
i know everyone's said it already, but oldboy is fantastic. one of the most stylish film i've ever seen...sympathy for mr vengeance is really good as well, and it's a lot more different to oldboy than i thought it would be. it's seriously bleak, and you only really realise the effect of it afterwards - i thought it was great in its little use of dialogue and soundtrack.
Zoe
QUOTE (JeffStuka @ Jun 27 2005, 11:37 AM)
Watched this about a year ago when my mate got it out of library.  Seem to remember a lot of mental stuff with thai cowboys though I was rather drunk.

Drunk or not that's about right.
whitey
Excellent chop socky resource.
Sostie
QUOTE (whitey @ Jul 1 2005, 03:20 PM)

Thanks Whitey, that's a great site. Should be useful, as Old Skool Kung Fu is still one area I'm not overly knowledgeable (even though I have tons of DVDs/videos to get round to watching) so this should help a lot.

Alos happry to see there is an Azumi sequel too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.