Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'The Sopranos'
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2
Zoe
First things first; there is no Mafia, secondly (and perhaps more importantly) respect the Bing.

Follow these rules and we'll get along just fine.

Oh and don't forget, 'One' is better than 'Two'.

'The Sopranos' is fast becoming my favourite show of all time, due to its amazing scripts, impeccable dialogue and unbelievably high production values. Every episode is like a film both in style and substance.

The performances are extraordinary across the board, but particularly from pacifist James Gandolfini (and his big old beard).

Him and those ducks!

So favourite characters, season, episode, scene?

I'm a Christopher girl myself, but it's all about Tony really. His wry smile, cheeky asides, stoicism, passion and occasional bouts of sociopathic rage.

I think my favourite episode is the Steve Buscemi directed 'Pine Barrens'.

[Chris and Paulie just botched a hit on a Russian gangster, and are lost in the woods. Tony is on the phone, but it's a bad line]
Tony: Listen to me, this guy was a Russian green beret. He was in the ministry of the interior or something. He single-handedly killed 16 Chechen rebels. Be fucking careful.
Paulie: All right.
[Hangs up]
Christopher: What did he say?
Paulie: He said the guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians, and he was an interior decorator.
Christopher: Interior decorator? His apartment looked like shit.

Look at Paulie's hair!
ipse dixit
I started getting into it last year when I lived with someone who had a few boxsets. Unfortunately I had to start with season 2 cos his old housemate had nicked season 1, and then...well...I moved out so I've not seen that much.

That's not a very encouraging second post for the thread is it? Sorry.
maian
A fantastic episode, had me in stitches all the way through.

Favourite character would have to be either Tony (cos he really does make the show) or Paulie, he's just so great and violent, you never quite know when he's going to blow and kill everyone around him.

Favourite episode is a tough one but I'd have to go for the episode where Ralph got killed and hacked up by Tony and Christopher, really good episode and it happened at exactly the right time in the show, it just felt that the show had been building up to Ralph getting killed and it nailed it.

As I said it's a tough call.
Zoe
Ralph was a very, very hard character to watch. Props to Joe Pantoliano for a truly horrific performance, I could barely look at him.

Strangely enough the episode where he kills Tracee was the only one I'd seen before starting this mass watch of the past two weeks and becoming a touch obsessed. It had certainly stuck in my mind.

Though the most brutal scene in the whole show has to be the golf club to the head. A fairly minor scene, but Jesus H Christ. I've got a strong stomach and I can still see that skull caving in.
maian
I think a special mention should be made for the many pieces of whimsy (as mentioned in other threads) that are in the show, my particular favourite being in the last episode of the first series where Tony has food poisoning and realises the truth about Big Pussy being an informant.
Zoe
Whimsy's right.

Also loving the Brando in 'On the Waterfront' look Tony works in the dream sequence.

And the Big Mouth Billy Bass call back during season three was inspired.

This picture is irrelevant to this discussion, but I found it earlier and I love Chris and Ade.

I haven't seen series 5 yet, but I know what's coming and I'm sad!

*waits impatiently for box set*
Kris
I really used to dislike Janice as a character, but the episode where she kills Richie.... whoa!
Zoe
QUOTE (Kris @ Jul 14 2005, 11:39 PM)
I really used to dislike Janice as a character, but the episode where she kills Richie.... whoa!

See, that was the episode that made me like her - I absolutely loved the look on Richie's face. I mean yes, it was extreme, but you can't go around laying hands on your woman - at least not till the ring's on the finger.

Now though, I can't stand her, after the way she manipulated Bobby and his kids - whatta bi-at-ch.
superfurryandy
Favourite ep is all of 'em, but especially the penultimate ep of S5 - one of the greatest hours of TV ever.

Favourite character is Silvio - you think he's just the right hand man, but every now and then he turns nasty.
Zoe
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Jul 14 2005, 11:44 PM)
Favourite ep is all of 'em, but especially the penultimate ep of S5 - one of the greatest hours of TV ever.

Can't wait for the box set, I've been spoiled for the past few weeks. But now I've watched them all *sniffs*

The artwork for is great.

Good news it it sounds like at least 7 series, which is reassuring.
Kris
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 14 2005, 11:41 PM)
Now though, I can't stand her, after the way she manipulated Bobby and his kids - whatta bi-at-ch.

Agreed.

Also, the episode where Christopher finds out Ade has been talking to the FBI I almost thought that they were going to run away!.... that was also a good'un!
Zoe
Wow, the season five poster (same artwork as the boxset) is fantastic.

If only I was a teenager..I suppose I could get it and frame it?
spacegurl
I used to love the Sopranos, such a brilliant drama. Sadly though I missed most of the last series, i just let it pass me by, only catching a few episodes or parts of them. sad.gif It's a shame because it's one of the best shows at C4's dispossal and it's rarely ever repeated (instead they broadcast countless episodes of 'Friends').
toneloc
Wow, hadn't seen the artwork for S5 yet, that's pretty cool.
Funniest scene of the whole series has to be when Flynn, Meadow's boyfriend rocks up to the construction site and sees the fat guy ( i forget his name) getting head from another worker - had me in stitches...
Jinx
One day I shall own all the Sopranos. One day. When I have some money. Oh yes.
Zoe
QUOTE (spacegurl @ Jul 15 2005, 01:40 AM)
It's a shame because it's one of the best shows at C4's dispossal and it's rarely ever repeated (instead they broadcast countless episodes of 'Friends').

Agreed, the repeat SATC and Friends constantly, but their real quality purchases like 'Six Feet Under' and 'The Sopranos' barely get a look in.

I'm sure if they showed season one again the series would gain lots of new British fans.
gulfcoast_highwayman
One of those shows I'm pleased to say I was with from day one. The hype was truly justified for a change.

From series 5, the scene where Christopher nearly choked Adrianna was BRUTAL. Poor lamb. (her, not him).

Plus, the Sopranos is about the closest I've ever seen to Alicia Witt getting 'em out. I'll be forever grateful (and sad).
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Kris @ Jul 14 2005, 11:47 PM)
Also, the episode where Christopher finds out Ade has been talking to the FBI I almost thought that they were going to run away!.... that was also a good'un!

I'd read a spoiler and still hoped at the back of my mind they would patch things up and run away together.

QUOTE (toneloc @ Jul 15 2005, 06:49 AM)
Funniest scene of the whole series has to be when Flynn, Meadow's boyfriend rocks up to the construction site and sees the fat guy ( i forget his name) getting head from another worker - had me in stitches...

That was hillarious! It reminded me a lot of Six Feet Under when Rico walked into his living room and caught his brother in law in an act of bumming with another man. Sudden bursts of comically portrayed gay sex are the best!
Of all those special 'Soprano moments' my favourite has to be Chris being confronted on his drug abuse by all the characters. Tonys reaction to finding out Chris killed Ade's dog because he sat on it whilst high was brilliant. As was "I came into the toilet and saw you had your head in the bowl. Your hair was in the toilet water. Dis-gusting!"
Zoe
I've seen all of series 4 so you don't need to bother with spoiler tags for that, but thanks for using them re: season 5. Though it was impossible to avoid hearing what happened to Ade, especially with Drea's high profile move to Joey.
Zoe
An unusually amusing Sopranos drinking game - might give this one a go myself.

The Sopranos Drinking Game

It’ s not TV, it’ s an excuse to drink heavily.

Maxim Online, April 2001

Faster than you can say “bada-bing,” The Sopranos has become bigger than the Mafia Holy Trinity (Scorsese, De Niro, Coppola) on the strength of great characters, engrossing plot lines, and Drea de Matteo’s spandex-wrapped ass. Even if you don’t get HBO, you’ve heard of the phenomenon. Now, before any other wiseguys get whacked (Big Pussy, we hardly knew ye), let’s sit down and drink a few, ya fucking mooks.

The Rules

What, we gotta hold yer fuckin’ hand? The Sopranos airs every Sunday night on HBO (check local listings for time) and then 30 more times during the week, so get your crew together and break out some cold ones.

Take One Drink When…

Tony walks out to get the paper in his robe.
They show Meadow in her dorm room.
Someone mentions “pussy” (as in, a female)
Anyone does drugs.
Tony has to “chat” with someone.
There’s a reference to a type of food you’ve never heard of. (Gaba-goo?)
Christopher, Paulie, or Silvio make a movie reference.
Anyone mentions Tony’s late mother. (Do another drink if she’ s shown in a flashback.)
Dr. Melfi sees her psychiatrist.
Carmela’s seen reading a book.
There’s a dream sequence.
When an old plot line comes back to haunt someone.
They show a topless “Bada-Bing!” dancer.
Anyone says “fuhgeddaboutit,” “knowwhatI’ msayin’,” or “dis fuckin’ guy.”
Anthony Jr. shows any kind of emotion.
Uncle Junior complains about the temperature or his bowels.
Christopher loses his temper. (Do another drink if he hurts someone.)

Take Two Drinks When…

Every time you see Adriana’s sweet, sweet can.
A new character’s introduced.
Anyone gets either beaten down or whacked.
Someone mentions “Pussy” (as in, the fat bastard who got whacked)
Every time Meadow sings.
Someone within the family/crew tries to shift the balance of power.
The FBI finds out a damaging piece of information.
Tony “bings” someone other than Carmela.
A shipment of anything gets hijacked.
Ralphie makes a Gladiator reference.
Dr. Melfi comes to get Tony from the waiting room.
Christopher complains about Paulie breaking his balls.
Someone mentions Svetlana’s leg.
Janice, Tony’s sister and the most annoying character ever to hit TV, appears. (Note: If you keep drinking, she may go away.)
Someone is called a “fat fuck.”
Uncle Junior mentions Angie Dickinson.
Anytime Artie Buco serves food to a member of the crew.

Do A Shot When…

Tony or Tony Jr. passes out.
A major character dies. (Do an extra shot if it’s from natural causes—disease, heart attack, old age…)
You see the flaws in Ralphie’s hairpiece.
Someone says “hoo-er” (rather than “whore”).
Furio beats someone’s ass.
Any time Tony screws up when talking to Dr. Melfi (Example: He once said “Prince Machiabelli” rather than “Machiavelli”).
You learn a new Italian word for penis or vagina.
You can no longer ignore what a bad actress Lorraine Bracco is.

Slap Yourself Back to Reality When…

You starting thinking “Hey, Jersey’s kinda cool.”
Henry Krinkle
Yeah, Joey was the spoiler I spoke of earlier. Apparently though, in the next series, Ade will return. Drea De Matteo has confirmed that shes obliged to appear in a few episodes. Some say that since you never actually saw Ade take the bullet she may still be alive, but I think the old dream sequences and flashback 'whimsy' will be the reason. Not much of a spoiler, then, but still....
I think the loudest laugh I've ever had (and it was a blustering shock of laughter) was when Chris pulled off Ralphies hair. I hated the guy so much it was nice to see that final indignity in death. Tony really loved that horse like he was a 10 year old school girl. It was endearing.

I'll keep using the spoiler tags pre season 5 anyway, just in case anyone else still not up to speed wanders in. smile.gif
Zoe
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jul 15 2005, 01:17 PM)
just in case anyone else still not up to speed wanders in.  smile.gif

You just like it don't you?
Henry Krinkle
Hand coding HTML commands makes me feel like a mighty mighty God amongst weak weak men.
Poppa Burgundy
This threads like blankety blank, chris pulled off BLANK

I'm gonna go for Paulie, read it back it'll make sense
Zoe
Tony really loved that PAULIE
Henry Krinkle
I'd intended for people who hadn't seen the newer episodes to maybe think that some undercurrents of homo-eroticism come in to play amongst the main characters eventually.
Would they read the spoiler or would they not??? Only you can decide.
Henry Krinkle
It's the end.

...and then there'll be another 8 episodes. But that will definitely be the end then.
maian
Hmm, sad to see it end, especially since it's only been a short time since Six Feet Under ended, but it would be a shame to see it keep going for ages and deteriorate. Interesting that they've gone for extra episodes, I'm hoping for a bloody, yet satisfying resolution.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I want lots more Paulie Walnuts and Silvio stuff. I love those wacky murderers.
bigcider
anyone know when its coming back on channel 4?
Jinx
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jan 17 2006, 09:26 AM)
It's the end.
...and then there'll be another 8 episodes. But that will definitely be the end then.

Sad to see - although when the show's creators call time, it's probably for the best. Nothing lasts forever and it's better to go out at the top of your game than allow the quality to slip.
Punkass
Season 6 starts up here in 10 lovely days, what about across the pond? They have a teaser trailer on the main site, but I believe this one is an extensive look at the new season. I say "I believe" because I can not see it up here at work, but the extended one I saw on HBO looked fabulous. Thoughts?

Edit: Please correct me if I am wrong about any of the trailers.
gulfcoast_highwayman
It's a very action packed trailer. I like the opening with Carmela's dialogue.

God knows when it will air in the UK.
kateykinz
Season 6?!
I've only just started Season 2. I didn't realise I was that far behind the rest of the world.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (kateykinz @ Mar 2 2006, 05:27 PM)
Season 6?!
I've only just started Season 2. I didn't realise I was that far behind the rest of the world.

Get with the programme Katey!

You've some great stuff ahead.
thirtyhelens
Hey, I'm in the States and I'm still catching up. Granted, I've been revisiting earlier seasons for the hell of it, and that doesn't help... wink.gif

It's interesting to consider the different paths the show might have taken (spoiler since katey's only on S2) Nancy Marchand not died and Livia subsequently been killed off, as well. Man, she was amazing.
Punkass
Anyone been watching any of the new episodes? It's about to start getting really really good from this point.
thirtyhelens
Wow, this thread has been quiet for ages.

THEY'RE BACK. It's on. Oh shit.

A highly entertaining episode for one those let's-back-into-the-season eps that only concentrates on a handful of characters. Started out a little shaky with the gun charge stemming from the ambush at Johnny Sack's pad, where they basically shoehorned in this kid seeing Tony drop his gun. (Sure, it's plausible, but I always feel like they're cheating when they do that. I turn into Annie Wilkes for a second - "He didn't get out of the cockadoodie car!!!" LOL) Still, we'll see if they can make it work.

Poor, poor, poor Bobby. He can't help being a schlub, and it'd seem like Tony is actually setting him up where, for a second, it did seem like he was seriously considering him as a surrogate. (What the HELL happened to get Tony so mad at Chrissy?! Is it because he decided he is annoyed about Julianna after all, or did he find out Chris is back on the scag? That should be good.) But as usual, Tony is passive-aggressive to a fault; seems like his distrust of the Bacalas (going back, no doubt, to how close they all were/are to Junior) is still firmly in place. And of course, Janice's metamorphosis into Livia is almost totally complete. Controlling, much? (Aww, beautiful little Nica. Poor sweetheart doesn't know the hell she's in for.)

Favorite scene: Janice and Carm getting into it about abusive men, where both of them were very cannily not revealing key information. (Janice that the "boyfriend" she was talking about was actually Richie, and Carmela that Tony did in fact come very, VERY close to hitting her once when she told him she was in love with Furio, but he put his fist through the wall instead.)

Wow, that's a lot of black. One down, eight to go. *sigh*

Oh, and he's got to lose the Backstreet Boy jaw fuzz, but otherwise, damn... AJ got HOT.
logger
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Apr 11 2007, 09:32 PM)
damn... AJ got HOT.

That still seems wrong, somehow.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 11 2007, 01:08 PM)
That still seems wrong, somehow.

it is SO wrong. I'm going to have to stick him over in "You Fancy Him, But You Shouldn't" very very soon.
Punkass
Did anyone else watch last nights episode? ohmy.gif Do any of you Europeans know when they are going to start playing the second half of season 6? I am assuming they already played the first half of course.
The Super Pan
QUOTE (Punkass @ May 14 2007, 04:02 PM)
Did anyone else watch last nights episode?  ohmy.gif  Do any of you Europeans know when they are going to start playing the second half of season 6?  I am assuming they already played the first half of course.

I saw it. Amazing 'sode. I couldn't believe the shocking twist when Tony's breathing was all disgustingly heavy during a love making session. What a gross slobby dude! I pity that poor lady who had to be drenched in Soprano Sweat. Oh yeah, and the bit with Christopher was surprising, too.
thirtyhelens
Between working half the weekend and Mother's Day yesterday, I didn't get down to Paula's to watch; she has On Demand, however, so I'll catch yesterday's episode next week.

The variety of "OMG!" on the faces of people I know who did watch, thus far, has me both excited and nervous.
thirtyhelens
All I seem to do is double post lately...

No new episode on the 27th, so final episode will air June 10th. *sob*

Paula is really keen to have a party at her place now. She's going to make ziti, I'm going to attempt Carmela's ricotta pie with pineapple. laugh.gif
Punkass
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ May 15 2007, 04:21 PM)
No new episode on the 27th, so final episode will air June 10th.  *sob*

What a bunch of wank.
thirtyhelens
*whew* Holy shit.

So I caught last week's episode on On Demand at Paula's this afternoon... well, I can't say I'm completely shocked. Along with Paulie, Christopher was one of the top two most likely to bite the big one walking into the final nine; after all the years of grooming and all the subsequent years of frustration and disappointment, something had to prevent him from taking over the family one day. Doesn't make it any less sad, however. Moreso considering the way he went out, which I'm sure many fans of the show are annoyed with; if you ask me, it would have been pointless to take him out guns blazing because that's exactly the kind of romanticized death he'd have wanted. The tragedy of Chrissy Boy is he went out doing something stupid and completely preventable, rolling the truck off the shoulder into a ditch because he was high. And of course, literally having blood on his hand isn't helping Tony's slow breakdown, either. And aww, Ma Nucci too - although Christopher still getting under Paulie's skin from beyond the grave was kind of amazing.

But tonight.... damn, tonight was full of surprises. Although I might have put a small clutch on the odds of AJ trying to kill himself or something otherwise awful happening to him, I didn't expect him to wind up in a mental ward. I also almost instantly figured he'd botch it, not merely because, as Tony points out, he botches everything. wink.gif Just figured they probably wouldn't kill AJ off the week after Christopher, didn't feel right. But, oh man... even after every little thread of Tony's unraveling so far in this last stretch, I didn't expect him to personally make such a defensive play as nearly whacking Coco in public. Not that the creep didn't deserve it, but jeeeezus... I had an American History X flashback there. Fawwwwk. *rubs jaw* Fascinating the way this is playing out, though - anyone else get the feeling Butchie is pulling the strings, sycophantically making Phil more antagonistic than even he'd be under normal circumstances? And what is up with Meadow deciding to pursue law at the same time here new boyfriend, Patsy's son (presumably headed for the mob life himself) is telling her alllll about how noble a pursuit it is? Sounds like someone would just love to have himself good legal counsel for a girlfriend...

Two weeks to wait. Two more left. I need some grappa...
thirtyhelens
Jee. Zus. Kee. Rist.

What was it I was saying about Chrissy going out with a whimper and not a bang? Pretty ironic now considering that Bobby went out in a hail of bullets - the one no one gave a shit about, one of the few completely sympathetic characters in the history of this show. Yeah, it happened because he's a dimwit who left his phone in the car, but man. A grand death for a loveable schlub - goddamn you, Chase! *sob* And things aren't looking good for Sil, either. Fawwwwk, I didn't see that one coming, at all.

I felt like it was a little bit out of character for Melfi to cut Tony loose like that, but it's pretty plain she didn't just do it because of the sociopath study rattling her faith in their relationship. She did it because fucking Kupferberg outed him as her patient.

There went the idea of AJ growing a pair, huh?

Idiot goddamn Russian goons! That never would have happened if Furio was still around. This is the problem, they've got no muscle they can rely on anymore.

Tony in his mom's house, hunkered down in the dark, alone with his heavy artillery.
And then there was one.

I'm sweating.
Punkass
Ok, please tell me something happened with my DVR (final episode spoilers). So I get to the point where Meadow walks into the restaurant and it cuts to black for like 10 seconds, then the credits rolls. Did I miss something, or are they leaving it open to us assuming Tony gets killed?
thirtyhelens
The second one, Kyle. wink.gif

Well, I won't be too smug about it, but... I called it.

I don't think I can truthfully say it was awful. Was it anti-climactic? Absolutely. Was it a downer? Yeah, pretty much. But there isn't much in that episode that wasn't pure David Chase, nor were any of the main players untrue to character. AJ find resolve in his despair about the world situation and join the Army? No way - not if his parents can finnagle him a cushy film job to make sure he stays home close to the bosom and doesn't lose a leg or worse. Same goes for Meadow, who might think she's crusading against corruption but she's still marrying into the family. There's no hell for the Sopranos, just purgatory.

There are some interesting readings of that final scene over on TWoP - namely that it's entirely possible that Tony did get whacked by one of those shady types in the diner and the abrupt cut to black and lack of music over the credits is meant to imply death. Certainly, the guy who was at the counter then went to the toilet would be a potential culprit, logistically. Still, it doesn't make much sense otherwise; with Phil out of the way (And you can't say THAT wasn't fully deserved Crrrunch!), no one else really wants Tony dead. Butchie backed off, Little Carmine's a buddy. Junior's long gone, Janice just wants her mad money. The feds still want him, clearly, and there's still legal wranglings but they'd arrest him, not wipe him out in front of his wife and kids.

Also on TWoP (and I wish I had put this together myself, 'cause it's so true) someone compared the ending to this Simpsons bit:

Lisa is at a jazz club and a guy is complaining about the music, and Lisa says, "you have to listen to the notes he's NOT playing." And the guy says, "I could have stayed home and did that." I imagine that's how some people might be feeling about tonight's show.

Thing is, you can say that about many episodes over the entire run. It just doesn't sting as much when you know they're coming back.
Punkass
Yea, I have been reading the millions of theories this morning. I still am not convinced one way or another, but I do know that I have no clue what the right way to end it would have been. It does make me laugh thinking back about Phil getting "offed" and to add insult to injury, getting his skull ran over by the SUV. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.