Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rate Star Trek: The Films!
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
thirtyhelens
OK, it's not exactly Bisley's (or Pegg's) own theory, it's widely held - but does it hold water? How would you rank the Trek films, in order, and what's the overlap between even and odd? (I just bought First Contact and discovered, though I've always loved it, that it ranks far higher than I realized!)

Here's my list, with chronological # in parens:

1. Wrath of Khan (2)
2. First Contact (8)
3. The Voyage Home (4)
4. Search For Spock (3)
5. Undiscovered Country (6)
6. The Motion Picture (1)
7. Generations (7)
8. Insurrection (9)
9. Nemesis (10)
10. Final Frontier (5)

#3 is, IMO, underrated and breaks the theory for me; #10 is definitely shit, and kills it but good. (Not as bad as #5, though...sorry Shatner!)

Gosh, and I don't even consider myeslf a Trekkie/Trekker, what have you...
Svein
OK... Here are my faves...

1) Wrath of Khan (2)
2) The Voyage Home (4)
3) The Undiscovered Country (6)
4) First Contact (8)
5) The Search for Spock (3)
6) Nemesis (10)
7) Insurrection (9)
8) Generations (7)
9) The Motion Picture (1)
10) Bill And Gene's Bogus Journey (5)
Zoe
Nemesis was laughable, really, I laughed, a lot.

The plot made no sense, the effects were shoddy and there was barely enough action to fill the running time.

It made no impact on me whatsoever.

Co-written by Brent Spiner? Was his contribution "I should be the hero and win the film, even if this requires the most far fetched series of events and the most anti-climatic denouement possible"?
Jessopjessopjessop
1. Wrath of Khan (2)
2. Undiscovered Country (6)
3. The Voyage Home (4)
4. The Motion Picture (1)
5. First Contact (8)
6. Search For Spock (3)
7. Insurrection (9)
9. Final Frontier (5)
8. Generations (7)

This sort of agrees with the even numbered theory. We all knew it was true already, didn't we?

I haven't seen Nemesis, and have no particular desire to.
m0r1arty
Firstly I thought Nemisis was good, I even shed a lickle tear for good ol' Data.

Was surprised though to see that he's based on a Windows 98 platform, that whole saying goodbye to nobody before his suicide/saving the crew.

But my order of crackiness for the films goes as such:

Voyage Home, First Contact, Khan, Desperatley seeking Spock, The Undiscovered Country and Nemisis the rest are all cack, The Motion Picture was just a revamp of the one were Kirk was heralded as a god by an old Satelite

Live Long and prosper

-m0r
Raven
Nemesis had a decent enough story (hell, it was practically a Khan re-make anyway) it was just let down by the execution.
I can't remember who directed it now but he made a real hash of it - jokes fell flat and scenes seemed truncated etc.
Not sure I saw the iffy effects mentioned by Zoe, from memory I thought they were pretty good huh.gif

Anyway, my personal list would is as follows:

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Very under-rated in my book. A good, intelligent story, excellent effects (for its day) and a fantastic score. Whilst it did have a humour by-pass I don’t equate serious with bad.

2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
An excellent sign off for the original crew. A good, taut, political thriller with an outrageously over the top performance from Christopher Plumer’s Shakespeare quoting Klingon commander! “Let slip the dogs of war!”

3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Khaaaaaaaaaaaan! Shock horror! Bill Shatner actually can act!

4. Star Trek: First Contact
Easily the best of the Next Generation films, some good performances all round and an excellent turn by Stewart as the increasingly ruthless Picard.

5. Star Trek: Nemesis
A generally good story (Yay! Romulans!) but a bit too fan-boyish for a main stream audience and let down by bad direction.

6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Hug a whale today! An entertaining romp but a bit to tongue in cheek in places. Chekhov’s Nuclear Wessels line still raises a smile though!

7. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
A generally poor film but saved by the “Stealing the Enterprise” sequence, still one of my favourite moments in any Star Trek anywhere.

8. Star Trek: Generations
A mediocre film saved only by some excellent acting from Patrick Stewart.

9. Star Trek: Insurrection
A mediocre film that even Patrick Stewart couldn’t save. Would have made a good two-part TV episode but as a film it fell well short –Riker piloting the Enterprise with a Quickshot II joystick – Ugh!!

10. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Carry on Star Trek – utterly unforgivable. I feel a bit sorry for Shatner on this one as he has taken a lot of flack for how poor this film is (being co-writer, director and star) but I would lay the blame at Paramount’s door for trying to make the film on the cheap. Take a look at the special effects if you need proof, they are easily the worst effects shots in any Trek film.

EDIT:

So with the exception of the Motion Picture, yeah, I pretty much agree with Mr. Bisley!
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 15 2005, 12:52 PM)
Christopher Plumer’s Shakespeare quoting Klingon commander!  “Let slip the dogs of war!”

"I'd give real money if he'd shut up!"
Raven
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 15 2005, 02:07 PM)
"I'd give real money if he'd shut up!"

biggrin.gif

I am constant as the Northern Star . . .
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 15 2005, 01:07 PM)
I am constant as the Northern Star . . .

You have a singular wit, Raven
Raven
I have a touch of arthritis as well . . . tongue.gif
Omniscia
All right, then. The Trek films, in order of favouritism on my part:

1: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
2: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
3: Star Trek VIII: First Contact
4: Galaxy Quest
5: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
6: Star Trek VII: Generations
7: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
8: Star Trek X: Nemesis
9: Star Trek: The Motion Picture
10: Star Trek IX: Insurrection
11: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
thirtyhelens
See, I've never been able to figure out why I'm not as keen on Undiscovered Country as everyone else. Technically it's a superior movie to Search For Spock on all counts. Maybe I'm clinging to childhood memories of the "trilogy" films (2,3,4 and the continued storyline), or over-rating the underrated. (I still think it's fairly ballsy to give Kirk back his long lost son only to snatch him away almost immediately.)
Omniscia
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I like The Undiscovered Country for its sheer bombast and adventure. It's got that nice, grand, flashy space-opera feel to it, for me, plus a sufficient dose of drama and suspense (though you're never really that in the dark about where the story will go next), and wisely leaves behind the corny humour of The Final Frontier.

Actually, that probably plays a larger role than I'm admitting: It directly followed The Final Frontier, and did a very good job in redeeming the series.
WiseJoeyD
Was UnDiscovered Country the one where God is played by Mad Brian Blessed ™?!

"Messa no likey adultery..." etc etc
Omniscia
Nah, Final Frontier is the God one. Undiscovered Country features a Shakespeare-quoting Klingon General, the assassination of the Klingon Emperor, and the Klingon/Federation peace treaty.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jul 15 2005, 06:49 PM)
Undiscovered Country features a Shakespeare-quoting Klingon General, the assassination of the Klingon Emperor, and the Klingon/Federation peace treaty.

And though lacking in Brian Blessed-ness, it does feature Christopher Plummer and David Warner.

And Michael Dorn. (Worf reeeally gets around that universe, doesn't he?)
Svein
Wasn't that supposed to be Worf's grandfather?
Raven
QUOTE (Svein @ Jul 18 2005, 09:21 AM)

Yep! [/trekkie]
Svein
You geek...
whitey
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jul 15 2005, 07:40 PM)
4: Galaxy Quest

I would have put that one higher.
Svein
We've also missed Free Enterprise... deserves a mention at least!
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Svein @ Jul 18 2005, 12:21 AM)

*nod* But still, it's Dorn's lovely ridged mug. laugh.gif

Galaxy Quest is one of the most underrated comedies ever, I tells ya. Parody without malice, it's so damn sharp witted and yet respectful of the whole phenomenon.

And I still want a Guy Fleegman action figure...
Raven
QUOTE (Svein @ Jul 18 2005, 03:51 PM)
You geek...

Goes with the territory . . .wink.gif
Svein
I said it as a compliment mate...

After all, I pretend I'm a Viking on the weekends!
philt
1. Khan
2. Galaxy Quest
3. Undiscovered Country
4. First Contact
5. The Motion Picture
6. Search For Spock
7. The Voyage Home
8. Final Frontier
9. Insurrection
10. Generations
11. Nemesis
ronlogan1977
The one with the whales is the best. Then wrath of Khan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.