Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things I love about Beginnings
Spaced Out Forum > Archive > Rewind > Episode 1.1: Beginnings
Sir_Robin_the_brave
The things I love about Episode 1 of Series 1 of Spaced (in no particular order)

1. Brian's delivery of the 'so you had sex before you kissed' line
2. Tim & Daisy's expressions every time they think they're about to get rumbled (and the way they both say 'shit!')
3. Tim's explanation of his 'The Bear' comic
4. The cuts between scenes as the evening gets progressively later, and the use of props in the captions.
5. Daisy's comment about the rubbish and Tim's reaction.
6. The cut away to Mike flicking the elastic band at the cat (yessss!)
7. The Mice-Spider bit and the accompanying hitchhiker style graphics.

For a first episode it zips along well and for me is probably the 2nd funniest episode of this series (after ep 6 which is simply legendary)
Stella MM
8. The way Tim and Daisy get away with the fact that they had sex before they kissed, when they're clearly expecting to get rumbled.

9. Tim's expression when he realises he might be able to win back Sarah by playing up the fact that he's going to live with Daisy.

10. The fact that Daisy's method of tidying is exactly the same as mine: start tidying, get bored, and put a load of random stuff on (like rubber gloves and a stupid hat you found in the bottom of a cupboard) to cheer yourself up.
spacegurl
11. Mike tactlessly chucking Tims box of things into the back of his van.
Raven
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Aug 1 2005, 02:14 PM)
10. The fact that Daisy's method of tidying is exactly the same as mine: start tidying, get bored, and put a load of random stuff on (like rubber gloves and a stupid hat you found in the bottom of a cupboard) to cheer yourself up.

You put on rubber gloves to cheer yourself up? huh.gif ohmy.gif tongue.gif
pump.up.the.jam
12. daisy and tim's telepathy with one another
Blind I/O
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 1 2005, 02:26 PM)
You put on rubber gloves to cheer yourself up?

Of course, she's a woman.

Should I have just shot myself instead?
chocolatebeenie
13. Mike's salute and ''sahh'' to Tim outside Sarah's house
feckless_dykey_prostitute
Love the running joke that a place like Tim and Daisy's flat can be rented for 90 a week. (as said by Simon on the commentary :: that's how i found out about it, cos i didn't get it at first)
KingoftheFunkingZombies
Hehe...I love the explanation of how Tim got his scar!
constantly bored
QUOTE (Blind I/O @ Aug 1 2005, 02:27 PM)
Of course, she's a woman.

Should I have just shot myself instead?

Yes, cheeky bugger.
Wife Of Rolex
My highlights are:

Tim and Daisy's syncronised crying in the cafe (and singing along with "Getting know yoooou..." just beforehand. tongue.gif )

Tim sticking up for himself to Sarah - "If you don't like it...that's too baaaaad."

Seeing Daisy talk to herself when she's alone...I do that!! happy.gif

The Shaggy and Velma poses.

Tim and Daisy interrogation at the table by Brian and Marsha.

Wife Of Rolex
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (spacegurl @ Aug 1 2005, 05:23 AM)
11. Mike tactlessly chucking Tims box of things into the back of his van.

Heee - that was one of mine. wink.gif Also:

- Tim's Spidey impression in the montage
- the saliva dribble on Daisy's chin
- Tim's attempt to "Wha?, I, nnn, pshhht!" off Sarah's question before launching into his impassioned explanation of how much he loves her. (Nice try.)
- Brian: "Don't....ask her....if she wants to talk about it."
- Marsha: *exhale* "Bitch."
- "It's a little more complex than that" (both times)
- The fact that we never really find out why Daisy kept popping out of her bedroom at the end. (We know Tim was going for his FHM, but what's Steiner got up her hoodie sleeve, hmmm?)
super_horse
The bit were brian's explaining his art

"like sausages?"

Ho! laugh.gif
spacegurl
The fact that they go to the extent of staging holiday photo's a la Green Card in order to get the flat and then Daisy's disappointment when they were not utilised in the interview;
Daisy -(sliding photo across table to Marsha) 'Don't you wanna see our photos?' Tim- (laughs nervously and retracts them.)
Link
14 - "anger... fear... aggression"

- "...Watercolours?"
maian
-Daisy's line after Tim has asked 'Do you like my comics?'

''Yeah, yeah. Oh yeah that reminds me actaully I was talking to Marsha about the rubbish...''

-Brian walking towards Tim naked except for a cowboy hat and the way Tim says 'Hello'
-On the commentary the way that Simon and Jess talk about how the line 'Do you mean am I gay?' Doesn't really make sense since it follows the line 'Do you rent downstairs?'
-Brian's unsure 'No' after Tim asks him if he's gay
-'Look, modern science fiction can be pretty interesting. The thoughts and speculations of our contemporary authors and thinkers have probably never been closer to the truth' (Cut to aliens outside Fantasy Bazaar laughing)
-''I have no memory of christmas 1979. Then again I have no memory of Christmas 1994 either'' ''Oh why not?'' ''I don't know''
''FHM voted her sexiest woman in the world in 1996'' ''What about you?'' ''I wasn't placed''

Just a few of the best bits.
Henry Krinkle
When the two Girl Guides are saying "It took forever.... and ever.... and ever" I love the red smash cuts of Tim and Daisy's screaming faces. Very sinister.
thirtyhelens
>>-On the commentary the way that Simon and Jess talk about how the line 'Do you mean am I gay?' Doesn't really make sense since it follows the line 'Do you rent downstairs?'<<

*snerk* Yeah, the line should really be "do you park in the rear?" or something to that effect. laugh.gif Not...really...funny....though...

As far as the 1.1 commentary, then definitely the baby photos bit. (Simon, on his own pics: "cute, cute, cute, CUTE!"....and on Jess's, "evil, evil, evil, EVIL!")
spacegurl
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 2 2005, 03:26 PM)
-On the commentary the way that Simon and Jess talk about how the line 'Do you mean am I gay?' Doesn't really make sense since it follows the line 'Do you rent downstairs?'

I think it does make sense kind of. Brain obviously had sex on the brain, the horndog. biggrin.gif
Link
It's kind of similar to the Big Train sketch from series two, where anything anyone says Mark Heap simply responds to by getting offended and saying "was that some reference to me not being married?" before eventually clipping off his own finger.

I think the fact that it doesn't really make much sense is why it's hysterical. The look on his face is genius, and the follow up lines just hammer in the comedy.
Wife Of Rolex
Forgot to mention Daisy's strangled "We're so busyyyyy" during the interview with Marsha. laugh.gif

Wife Of Rolex
Timothy Bisley
The part that made me continue watching.

"I cried like a child at the end of Terminator 2."
Daisy Steiner
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jul 31 2005, 07:58 PM)
The things I love about Episode 1 of Series 1 of Spaced (in no particular order)

1. Brian's delivery of the 'so you had sex before you kissed' line

That makes me piss myself everytime ! lmfao happy.gif
claire
I love the part when Daisy's tidying up and she's pulling a funny face and humming along to music. and then the way she say's the line, "Crazy looking naked girl with no nipples! Cover yourself up love." laugh.gif Love it.
Timothy Bisley
QUOTE (Daisy Steiner @ Aug 5 2005, 04:05 AM)
That makes me piss myself everytime ! lmfao happy.gif

Same here DAAAAAAH "SHIT!" haha

BTW, welcome to the forum Daisy, it's me your flatemate! haha
Daisy Steiner
QUOTE (Timothy Bisley @ Aug 5 2005, 06:39 PM)

Heeeey Tim, hows the drawings going ? rolleyes.gif
Daisy Steiner
*High Pitched Voice*

I Think colin needs a bitch biggrin.gif
Quicks

You guys will get on with each other cool.gif
Daisy Steiner
QUOTE (Quicks @ Aug 5 2005, 06:55 PM)
You guys will get on with each other  cool.gif

Well of course biggrin.gif
Archduke_Chocula
My fave bit of Beginnings is the montage in the diner, the best one being when Tim uses the bottles as eyes.
romero_zombie
The best bit about it is that its the beggining of the greatest show ever made!
Timothy Bisley
QUOTE (Archduke_Chocula @ Aug 5 2005, 01:21 PM)
My fave bit of Beginnings is the montage in the diner, the best one being when Tim uses the bottles as eyes.

Getting to know you, Getting to know all about you,"

Damn! Now it's stuck in my head.
nixygirl
Just this...absolutely slays me!

luvs nix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.