Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Good was Gatherings?
Spaced Out Forum > Archive > Rewind > Episode 1.2: Gatherings
Raven
I wonder if we will get a different result from last week! tongue.gif
Wife Of Rolex
I voted good. There's a strange kind of downbeat feel to it compared to 'Beginnings'. It's one of those ones where you think something's happening but nothing actually does in the end. But it's still more intelligent than you're average sitcom episode which puts it a cut above.

Wife Of Rolex
Zoe
This is real vintage 'Spaced' for me. Top of their game, in fact in my mind only 'Mettle' comes close to topping it.

So yeah, I voted excellent.
Chapman Baxter
It's good for me. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy it, and it beats any episode of most other sitcoms into a cocked hat. But I'm saving excellent from my very favourite episodes, which come later in the series.
Timothy Bisley
I also good, it's my second favorite Spaced Series 1 episode, number 1 is Chaos 4 me.
Igmeister
Excellent for me. Love the bacofoil joke, and Daisy's enthusiasum for some awful music. With the exception of Prefab Sprout smile.gif
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Aug 7 2005, 08:38 AM)
But I'm saving excellent from my very favourite episodes, which come later in the series.

Same here. The vote is a hell of a lot closer so far, though. smile.gif
spacegurl
I voted excellent. I love the Bacofoil joke too, not only is it a great line anyway but Tims enunciation of those words is fucking hilarious.
Shack
A good from me, mainly as I'm saving "excellent" for other more favourite-ist episodes.

The "....blue bloody walls" bit always makes me laugh though, as does pointless shaping of the mashed potato by Tim. Not sure why on the latter though.

We did have a new years party where we put foil everywhere and it was bloody brilliant. Not that expensive to achieve a space-ship style effect....
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Shack @ Aug 8 2005, 07:19 AM)
as does pointless shaping of the mashed potato by Tim.

Oh, but it's not pointless....it means something, but he's not sure what. happy.gif (Or at least it does if they are really following the reference to the letter...)
maian
For a long time, I would have said Poor, since I used to hate this episode with a passion. I always used to think that it had this really dull, leaden atmospher eto it and it was too awkward. Then it hit me: that's the point of the episode! They are throwing a party for people they hardly know and who they are lying to so they feel awkward and that really comes across in the episode, that's when it turned around for me and I truly appreciated the genius of the episode.

I voted good for this one since I really enjoy it, but it's not as jam packed full of Spacedy goodness as some of the other episodes (can't wait til we examine 1.3!)
feckless_dykey_prostitute
I absolutely had to vote for excellent as I felt this was the episode where the series kicked off and at that point you knew this was gonna be BIG!

I love this episode, although Chaos is the best in Series 1 for me....
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I voted good because despite several utterly brilliant scenes and some very memorable lines, there are parts of this episode which are missing something for me. Still kicks the arse off most other sitcoms though (of course)
rebelstar
I appear to be the only one who voted average - while it's got a few good moments, I find 1.2 to be easily my least favourite episode, although I can't put my finger on exactly why.
Raven
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Aug 11 2005, 12:42 PM)
I appear to be the only one who voted average - while it's got a few good moments, I find 1.2 to be easily my least favourite episode, although I can't put my finger on exactly why.

The Time Warp?! huh.gif
rebelstar
That probably doesn't help.
sweetbutinsane
I thought it was better than Beginnings, but still not as fantastic as later episodes. I loved the fake sex noises though, and Daisy singing the wrong words to the songs! cool.gif
too_orangey_4_crows
what you wanna do now
slap each other about a bit more

oooh time warp

gotta love that ep!

mettle is my fav tho
ronlogan1977
Probably my least favourite episode this one. I think because the scene is still being set at this point. From Episode three onwards you know the characters and you can accept it on its own terms.
Punkass
Hey, Ron....what's a dikfer? smile.gif
ronlogan1977
To pee with laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.