Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Such aesthetic wonders
Spaced Out Forum > Archive > Rewind > Episode 1.3: Art
Chapman Baxter
This is the episode where Spaced really got into its stride, as least as far as I'm concerned. We've been introduced to all the characters, the situation has been fully set up, now it's time to develop the characters and their stories.

Art (as the name suggests) fleshes out Brian's character - his pretensions and his insecurities. It's when Brian stops being the wierdo from downstairs and becomes a fully fledged character in his own right. As I mentioned here, I think the interaction between Brian and Tim during this episode produces some of the best lines in the series.

Daisy's search for a job and interview at Flaps magazine seems like a sub-plot to me, although it does produce some excellent comedy - particulary the Magic Roundabout music, Girl Power!, and - lest we forget - huge fat cocks.

Vulva was the first role I ever saw David Walliams play. Looking back, it seems like a unique creation: even in Little Britain, he's never come up with anything so grotesque or distinctive. I'm tempted to say it is his finest hour yet.
Punkass
This episode is for sure the "sinker" for me. While I did very much enjoy the first two episodes, this one had me pissing. Be it the zombies, video gaming, trannys, all greatness. Upon first viewing, they characters are still new to you, so you never fully know what to expect. My favorite part to this day is when Tim is passed out at the theater and the whole vulva/zoom in moment. HEEEEEYYYYYY! I think that was one of the first times I actually had to pause a show because I was laughing so hard. Every night upon watching "new" episodes, I always ended pissed and watching this episode. Tip top.
Raven
Apologies this thread is so late in being posted people, my fault completely (a bad cold and cricket combination . . . ).
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Aug 16 2005, 01:47 PM)
Vulva was the first role I ever saw David Walliams play.  Looking back, it seems like a unique creation: even in Little Britain, he's never come up with anything so grotesque or distinctive.  I'm tempted to say it is his finest hour yet.

It's verrrrrry close with "Computer says nooooo," but you may be right. wink.gif (Plus, IMO, he's routinely upstaged on Little Britain by Matt Lucas; Vulva is larger than life. Or at least, I've heard he is....maybe we ought to ask Brian...)
Zoe
I have to say it's one of my least favourite episodes, even though I did go through a brief period (late 2000 early 2001) of having a massive crush on the Walliams - I blame him dressing up as Graham Coxon in the Blur 'Rock Profile'.

It's not bad by any means, but it just never really grabbed me. It's got some great one off gags in it.

Tim: Are you going to go?
Brian: I don't know, I haven't seen her for ages.
Tim: No, I mean are you going to go...now.

But as a whole it's a bit too busy for me. I think it tries to do too much and hence neither the satire of performance art/theatre or women's magazines really have any bite.
spacegurl
Im really not too keen on Art, I think the dialogue between Tim and Brain makes this episode though. I also like the part as Daisy's waiting to go into her flaps interview-her nervous laughter and "Maybe you should wear your own shoes in future".
I think the approach to feminism and the whole modern art scene felt old and dated even then, which is why this episode really doesn't interest me as much as other episodes. And it's always bugged me that is wasn't Brain who gave Vulva a punch rather than Tim, i think it would have helped him get some closure. wink.gif
feck off!
This is one of my favourite episodes , it has so many great inter-linking plots that come together so well at the end. I love the flashback/forward scene where Brian is thinking of how he will describe his art to Vulva , and the subsequent unravelling of his ideal plan of how the conversation would go.( Oh Brian you came....)

Also this episode has the best name for a pub ever. laugh.gif ( Gotta love that 'Squid And Mashed Potato')
pots
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 17 2005, 10:53 AM)
Tim: Are you going to go?
Brian: I don't know, I haven't seen her for ages.
Tim: No, I mean are you going to go...now.

art does have some of the best one liners - plus my favourite line

"what do i think about current affairs? well i like them, i think they're good..."

and the best tim and daisy lines -

daisy - "what should i wear?"
tim - "i think you should dress something like a lesbian"
"how do lesbians dress?"
"kinda like suzi quatro?"
"well its not really a lesbian magazine, its more for modern, go getting young women with something to say, you know? with a contribution to make, women like..."
"suzi quatro?"
"no, like me. i'm not sure if i should go casual or strappy. a little bit glam? reliable and frumpy or stupid and glamorous?"
"well why don't you go something inbetween?"
"frumpy and stupid?"
"well it'll save you getting ready"
"tim, i'm serious, this is important, i've got to get the right..."
"LOOK!"

it tells you all you need to know about the characters - tim on the beanbag, smoke in hand, daisy bumbling about. it sets them up better than pages of backstory, they are still getting to know each other, but are already comfortable and relaxed. top writing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.