Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lovely Nick
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Cast Watch
Pages: 1, 2
PrincessKate
Couldn't find another topic about this, sorry if someone else mentioned it!
No idea where to find it on listen again, but you'll probably be able to find it on the Radio 1 Website.

"Shaun of the Dead Star Nick Frost on extras, and 'Extras'"

Sounds good from what I'm hearing, and Nick's always a joy smile.gif
superfurryandy
Not at the 99p Challenge recordings he weren't - very pedestrian I thought.
Wife Of Rolex
Ah come on. What about the TV shows for Nazis. Third Reich From The Sun is genius. laugh.gif

Though, what are the chances SFA you don't agree with me. rolleyes.gif

Wife Of Rolex
rebelstar
How dare you have an opinion, Andy. Go to your room!
Stella MM
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Aug 24 2005, 11:43 PM)
Not at the 99p Challenge recordings he weren't - very pedestrian I thought.

You know, I didn't think much of 99p challenge as a whole. It just wasn't terribly funny.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Aug 25 2005, 09:55 AM)
It just wasn't terribly funny.

But it is inspired in places - mostly when Armando Ianucci opens his mouth.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Aug 25 2005, 11:01 AM)
But it is inspired in places - mostly when Armando Ianucci opens his mouth.

I take issued with that, in the later editions as it all went downhill, he was definitely plummeting more than the others. I also take issue with the fact that you've managed to disrail a thread with one post. Tut tut.
Marty
Mm, I couldn't get excited about 99p, went to one recording and was just laughing because I was supposed to.
superfurryandy
And then there was that Simpsons quiz - he was shit in that - he should stick to speaking other people's words maybe.
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Aug 25 2005, 12:33 PM)
And then there was that Simpsons quiz

Everyone was shit in that.
superfurryandy
Weren't they just.

I still have nightmares.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Aug 24 2005, 10:27 PM)
Couldn't find another topic about this, sorry if someone else mentioned it!
No idea where to find it on listen again, but you'll probably be able to find it on the Radio 1 Website.

"Shaun of the Dead Star Nick Frost on extras, and 'Extras'"

Sounds good from what I'm hearing, and Nick's always a joy smile.gif

If you want to listen to it again, here is the link...

Nick Frost on 'Extras'
frostitute
QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ Aug 25 2005, 07:50 AM)
If you want to listen to it again, here is the link...

Nick Frost on 'Extras'

Cool, thanks!

Got it recorded.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Aug 25 2005, 09:54 AM)
How dare you have an opinion, Andy. Go to your room!

You don't get irony, do you?

Wife Of Rolex
rebelstar
I do, thank you for asking!

Edit :Actually, assuming that you were employing irony, does that mean when you said :

Though, what are the chances SFA you don't agree with me.

You really meant that you expected Andy to agree with you?
Clart
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Aug 25 2005, 03:58 PM)
You don't get irony, do you?

He should eat more spinachy.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Aug 25 2005, 03:09 PM)
I do, thank you for asking!
Edit :Actually, assuming that you were employing irony, does that mean when you said :
You really meant that you expected Andy to agree with you?

No, the irony was that I was asking in the first place as it was obvious he wouldn't.

Wife Of Rolex
Zoe
Ahhh irony, it's a slippery little beggar and almost no one uses the term in its correct context anymore.
Clart
That's sarcasm, not irony, surely?

edit - that was to wife of rolodex, of course, but it's always a safe bet to ask it of Zoe too... wink.gif
Zoe
Well the traditional definition of irony is where the outcome of an event seems to mock the circumstances surrounding it.

Though a more modern definition is saying the opposite of what you mean - but you can employ sarcasm to do this.

However, asking the question isn't ironic because it doesn't need to be asked - but it would be if Wifey meant the opposite of what she said (as reb has already pointed out).

The meaning has expanded with time though and now it's acceptable to use it in reference to any form of sarcasm or ridicule - though you woudn't get away with it in an English essay.

Dramatic irony - well that's another matter altogether.
Wife Of Rolex
irony n, pl -nies. mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the oppositeof what is said;aspect of a situation that is odd or amusing because the opposite of what one would expect.

- Collins English Dictionary

Wife Of Rolex
Clart
Bloody Alanis Morrisette, fucking it up for everyone.
Zoe
QUOTE (Clart @ Aug 25 2005, 06:23 PM)
Bloody Alanis Morrisette, fucking it up for everyone.

Yes the word she was looking for was isn't it 'unlucky'.

Rain on your wedding day would only be ironic if (for example) you were a meteorologist who had picked the day specifically for it's fine weather, and the dramatic irony would come if we all knew it was going to rain but the (fictional) meteorologist didn't.
Clart
So, in this case where RolexWife was zinging superfurryandy, would it have been phrase differently had it been a sarcastic comment rather than an ironic one?
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Clart @ Aug 25 2005, 05:35 PM)
So, in this case where RolexWife was zinging superfurryandy, would it have been phrase differently had it been a sarcastic comment rather than an ironic one?

If I was being purely sarcastic I would have phrased it: You so agree with me there, don't you SFA? But knowing that he rarely agrees with me, the irony was to ask what the chances were he didn't agree with me when I knew full well he wouldn't. The asking was the ironic aspect.

Wife Of Rolex
Zoe
QUOTE (Clart @ Aug 25 2005, 06:35 PM)

If she'd said "I bet you agree with me don't you SFA?" then I'd say irony (through employing sarcasm), in this case I'd say it was neither sarcastic or ironic really.

I'd say it was just a bit of a tongue in cheek question.

But this is all shockingly off-topic and pedantic - I just can't help myself (oh and we are allowed to start sentences with 'But' in the new millennium).
pots
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 25 2005, 06:45 PM)
(oh and we are allowed to start sentences with 'But' in the new millennium).

and 'and'.

although thats hardly a sentence.
Wife Of Rolex
Um...what Zoe said.

I didn't go to university. Does it show?*

Wife Of Rolex

* That wasn't ironic.
Clart
I feel educated.
Zoe
Me too *smug*.
Clart
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 25 2005, 06:50 PM)
Me too *smug*.

There's sooooo many ways to interpret that sentence.
Zoe
See what marvels you can create with an English Degree? And they said it was a waste of money.

That was a complete sentence starting with 'and' by the way.
Stella MM
So are we allow to start sentances with 'And'? I was always taught not to. And I didn't listen. See?
Clart
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 25 2005, 06:54 PM)
See what marvels you can create with an English Degree?

...hat... brooch... pterodactyl...
Zoe
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Aug 25 2005, 06:55 PM)
So are we allow to start sentances with 'And'? I was always taught not to. And I didn't listen. See?

At school I was taught the same thing, that sentences could not be started with 'And' or 'But'.

However (note the fancy 'but') this rule has now been relaxed and it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with 'And' or 'But' as long as the sentence still makes complete sense out of context.

To be honest though, I rarely start a sentence with 'But', 'And' or even 'However' as it still looks a little sloppy to me.

Oh, and excellent use of an 'Airplane' quote Clart, though I would ask that you make your point before the quote and then reinforce the point afterwards - it's just good essay writing practice.
Stella MM
But I always do that. And I like it. HA!
Zoe
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Aug 25 2005, 06:58 PM)
But I always do that. And I like it. HA!

If I were a robot English teacher my head would have just exploded.
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 25 2005, 06:58 PM)
At school I was taught the same thing, that sentences could not be started with 'And' or 'But'.

However (note the fancy 'but') this rule has now been relaxed and it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with 'And' or 'But' as long as the sentence still makes complete sense out of context.

To quote Fowler in his Modern English Usage:

That it is a solecism to begin a sentence with and is a faintly lingering superstition.  The OED gives examples ranging from the 10th to the 19th c.; the Bible is full of them.

Relatedly, Kingsley Amis in his The King's English:

And the idea that and must not begin a sentence, or even a paragraph, is an empty superstition.  The same goes for but.  Indeed, either word can give unimprovably early warning of the sort of thing that is to follow.
superfurryandy
QUOTE (Clart @ Aug 25 2005, 06:35 PM)
RolexWife was zinging superfurryandy

So, have I been zinged or zung?
Zoe
And yet the superstition lingers in my head.

Hang on...
Clart
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Aug 25 2005, 07:10 PM)
So, have I been zinged or zung?

Let me consult my Sanders (Col.) New Edition...
Blind I/O
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 25 2005, 07:11 PM)
And yet the superstition lingers in my head.

But using those starts still seems a bit wierd, doesn't it? And I do it all the time on the 'net - because it's quite chatty. However, I don't think I use those words to converse with real people.

Oh my, I'm bored.
rabbit57i
You cannot start a sentence with "BUT"! mad.gif I've tried and I just can't do it. It doesn't feel right and it surely doesn't look right. "HOWEVER" is acceptable if needs be.
Clart
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Aug 25 2005, 10:27 PM)
You cannot start a sentence with "BUT"!  mad.gif

But is my favourite online French store.
rebelstar
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Aug 25 2005, 06:19 PM)
irony n, pl -nies. mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the oppositeof what is said;aspect of a situation that is odd or amusing because the opposite of what one would expect.

- Collins English Dictionary
Wife Of Rolex

Erm, yeah. So you were saying that Andy would disagree with you and, since you were being ironic (let's ignore the part of the definition that contains the word 'amusing', eh?), you were actually implying that he would agree, no? Was that not what I said?

As for starting sentences with and, but, because etc. that's all down to style these days, but an awful lot of people take their language awfully seriously - Ms. Rebelstar is a lexicographer and some of the letters she receives are a bit mad.
Wife Of Rolex
Well thank you for correcting me, oh policeman of my life.

You actually going to haul me up on EVERYTHING I say? Your winter evenings must just fly by.

Wife Of Rolex
rebelstar
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Aug 26 2005, 01:30 PM)
Well thank you for correcting me, oh policeman of my life.

No bother! At least you know what irony is now. smile.gif

You actually going to haul me up on EVERYTHING I say?

Don't be ridiculous. I don't have the time.

(winkie)

Your winter evenings must just fly by.

They do - it's just the boring parts of my working day that tend to drag a bit. You can probably tell...
rabbit57i
rebelstar
Point taken. wink.gif
frostitute
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Aug 26 2005, 09:20 AM)

Horses are so old.

EDIT: Image removed because it was huuuuuuuge! - Raven.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.