Full Version: Nick Frost in Hyperdrive
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
luvmusic
I didn't, but I laughed last night.
Clart
Welllllll, I like it.
Hobbes
I watched it last night and thought it was alright if I'm honest. Wasn't exactly hilarious, and I did laugh more at the similarity between Frost's delivery and that of Pegg in other shows, but it wasn't abysmal. I chuckled a bit.
Stella MM
QUOTE (Clart @ Feb 2 2006, 07:07 PM)
Welllllll, I like it.

Ah c'mon, Nick. You're being a leeetle obvious now.
Clart
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Feb 2 2006, 09:39 PM)
Ah c'mon, Nick. You're being a leeetle obvious now.

*The Actor Kevin Eldon gently and subtly signs out of his pretend forum account...*
Henry Krinkle
I've just watched the newest one (from last Wednesday) and I still think it's an okay show. I quite like the characters, I think the stories make for a pleasant half hour, and I laugh at the way Nick Frost, Kevin Eldon, and even Miranda Hart (sometimes) deliver lines.
I really can't see why some people have taken such a dislike to this show. It's not an absolute pitifully pathetic disaster on the scale of Green Green Grass, nor is it a Peep Show level sit com King. It's just a nice, amusing show. If I'm goingt to be honest, I'd rather watch an episode of Hyperdrive than an episode of The IT Crowd.
I'm not a total moron. I just find Hyperdrive funnier.
Jumpin Jack Flash
Yeah i didnt rate the i.t crowd at all id much prefer Hyperdrive or even dare i say it Man Stroke Woman?
The Mystery Machine
Woah there, lets not go mad.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
I think I'd rather be watching an episode of The I.T Crowd than Hyperdrive. Hyperdrive is okay, but it doesn't make me laugh as much as The I.T Crowd, but it's still good entertainment.
Stella MM
Well, I must admit I laughed like a simpleton at the line "help your mother make a bitch pie" in last night's episode. In fact, the whole thing wa pretty good.
kateykinz
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Feb 6 2006, 07:48 AM)
Well, I must admit I laughed like a simpleton at the line "help your mother make a bitch pie" in last night's episode.

Me too. Last night's was the first Hyperdrive I've seen and I was apprehensive about watching it seeing as everyone here was saying it wasn't very good - but I really quite liked it. I preferred it to my first experience of the IT Crowd anyhow, and I think the main reason for that is that it isn't filmed in front of a studio audience so there is no laughter track to annoy me, and the acting was much better because the actors didn't have to do their theatre voices.

Plus the IT Crowd doesn't have Nick and Kevin.
Raven
Still not firing on all cylinders by any means but I did like the Master and Commander piss-take in last nights episode.
Raven
No repeat of Hyperdrive on Sunday this week so if you don't catch it tonight - you won't! (well, until BBC3 strip shows them . . .).
Dodge
Oh no. How will I survive. Whatever shall I do.

Is the program about that really fat man on again at the same time as Hyperdrivel?

"I know," says some berk. "How shall we draw viewers away from televisual gold, Life on Mars?"

"Well, that Northern Lights thing is getting the idiot view, but you could drag a few more twats away with a show about a human pie."

"Let's do it!"

Fuckers.
Raven
Good to see someone's been at the wine again . . .

Pity the script writers on Hyperdrive hadn't, that was truly awful.
luvmusic
Not good.
Rua
Very poor.

Remarkably so with the talent they have on show.

But who am I eh?
Henry Krinkle
Ah well, I didn't think it was so bad.
I laughed once when Frost said something in a funny voice, and smiled a few times at Eldon.
I've had worse half hours.

I think I'm the only person who actually likes this show. Perhaps I'll make myself a badge.
Oisi-wan Kemansell
It has Improved for me I'm starting to like it again, hope it gets better. smile.gif
frostitute
There's only one episode left (I think), so I suppose it better get...better

Also, it appears I've been acknowledged by BBC2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=hyperdrive
Check_Bamboo
Yeah, well.... URM.....its marginally more funny then the IT Crowd.... what has Chris Moriss com to?
Dax Trajero
Yeah, Chris Morris seemed intent to reprise the role of Reggie Perrin's boss in Rise & Fall....

"I didn't get where I am today by...."

As for Hyperdrive, it reminds me of Thin Blue Line in the sense its easy to switch on and watch. But when you have Nick Frost in there with Kevin Eldon, you can't help think its a wasted opportunity. The concept is great, but they're not doing it justice.

Hopefully the 2nd series will be better. Remember reading Simon Pegg's comments about how they listened to feedback on Space S1 and fine-tuned S2 with those comments in mind.
Blind I/O
Spaced was good to start off with, though.
Dax Trajero
QUOTE (Blind I/O @ Feb 11 2006, 06:11 PM)
Spaced was good to start off with, though.

oh god yeah, I just meant the writers will get a chance to improve things with the 2nd series of Hyperdrive.
Philipo
Lets face it the series has been a complete wash-out. I doubt the Camden lock will be returning for a second series.....i feel for nick. ohmy.gif
The Mystery Machine
...yeah he's really struggling to find work. biggrin.gif
Clart
QUOTE (The Mystery Machine @ Feb 12 2006, 12:12 AM)
...yeah he's really struggling to find work. biggrin.gif

...must...spend...£1.99...at...Subwayyyyyy...
Philipo
QUOTE (Clart @ Feb 12 2006, 02:48 AM)
...must...spend...£1.99...at...Subwayyyyyy...

Fair enough he's everywhere. biggrin.gif
Jumpin Jack Flash
£1.99? Is that how much they sold the hyperdrive scripts for? oh im such a bitch! Just for the record mind i dont mind it.
luvmusic
Nick's career choices seem to be erring on the side of so-so. I think he needs his buddy to rescue him.
Dax Trajero
QUOTE (luvmusic @ Feb 12 2006, 10:37 PM)
Nick's career choices seem to be erring on the side of so-so.† I think he needs his buddy to rescue him.

Nick's quality will see him through no problem. He'll always do some of his best work when he collaborates with Simon and Edgar as they write roles specifically for him - a god send for any actor, I imagine.

As for his career choices - well Spaced, Black Books, Kinky Boots, Shaun, Man Stroke Woman and Hyperdrive all look pretty decent choices for a person who's only really started his acting career in the last 6 years!

Any more comments like that, and I'll have to beat you like a ginger step-child.
Henry Krinkle
I think that Nick Frost (and obviously Kevin Eldon) are Hyperdrive's saving graces. Without their comedy face pulling and funny voices the show would be somewhat worse than it is.
This goes for Man Stroke Woman, where the natural comedy talents of Frost elevate gags from mildly amusing to something special. Frost is highly underrated as a comedy actor, and I imagine he doesn't have a massive sway over what roles he gets. The bottom line is, Nick Frost is the main star of his own BBC sitcom. Whether it's the greatest sitcom ever (which it isn't) or the worst comedy ever commissioned (which again, it isn't) it's still something of an achievement.
I think his choice of roles has been very good considering the position his career is in.
Philipo
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 13 2006, 09:06 AM)
I think that Nick Frost (and obviously Kevin Eldon) are Hyperdrive's saving graces. Without their comedy face pulling and funny voices the show would be somewhat worse than it is.
This goes for Man Stroke Woman, where the natural comedy talents of Frost elevate gags from mildly amusing to something special. Frost is highly underrated as a comedy actor, and I imagine he doesn't have a massive sway over what roles he gets. The bottom line is, Nick Frost is the main star of his own BBC sitcom. Whether it's the greatest sitcom ever (which it isn't) or the worst comedy ever commissioned (which again, it isn't) it's still something of an achievement.
I think his choice of roles has been very good considering the position his career is in.

Yeah like he said.
frostitute
It's good.
It's all well and good saying that Hyperdive is good or whatever, but is it good enough to get on DVD? That is the question.
frostitute
It won't go on DVD.
Chapman Baxter
Hyperdrive gets second series (registration required)

The BBC has ordered a second series of sci-fi sitcom Hyperdrive, which features Spaced star Nick Frost as the captain of a 21st century spaceship charged with promoting British interests around the galaxy.

Frost has signed up for the second series of the BBC2 show, along with other Hyperdrive cast members Kevin Eldon, Miranda Hart, Stephen Evans, Dan Antopolski, Petra Massey and Paterson Joseph...

The first six-part series concludes on Wednesday and has averaged 1.5 million viewers in its 10pm slot so far - not outstanding figures, but on a par with what many BBC2 comedies get at that time of night.
frostitute
Wow, very nice news!
QUOTE (frostitute @ Feb 14 2006, 10:25 AM)
It won't go on DVD.

Why won't it?
frostitute
Because I don't think it will.

That way, when it does come out, I can be in a state of surprise and awe

Like this

ohmy.gif
QUOTE (frostitute @ Feb 14 2006, 10:30 AM)
Because I don't think it will.

That way, when it does come out, I can be in a state of surprise and awe

Like this

ohmy.gif

I see. I'd love to see your face at that point...
Well, the secong series is good news anyway smile.gif
Acidboy
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Sep 15 2005, 12:49 PM)
Wow, if this works it could be really good. Science fiction and comedy are the hardest genres to do well, let alone combinaing the two....

I was expecting hyperdrve to be awesome but i was somewhat dissapointed. Nicks cool tho
Dodge
Very depressing news.

This day gets worse.
Clart
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Feb 14 2006, 10:26 AM)
Hyperdrive gets second series (registration required)

QUOTE (frostitute @ Feb 14 2006, 10:25 AM)
It won't go on DVD.

I'd say the chances of it coming out on DVD are greatly heightened by the existence of a second series, whilst that second series itself will give them a chance to listen to the criticisms of this first and perhaps improve upon those areas of most concern. Series 2 might turn out to be better than people imagine, in that case.
frostitute
Psst

I really do hope it comes to DVD

I just don't want to get my hopes up

Don't tell anyone though

ohmy.gif
luvmusic
QUOTE (Dax Trajero @ Feb 13 2006, 01:04 AM)
Nick's quality will see him through no problem. He'll always do some of his best work when he collaborates with Simon and Edgar as they write roles specifically for him - a god send for any actor, I imagine.

As for his career choices - well Spaced, Black Books, Kinky Boots, Shaun, Man Stroke Woman and Hyperdrive all look pretty decent choices for a person who's only really started his acting career in the last 6 years!

Any more comments like that, and I'll have to beat you like a ginger step-child.

Kinky Boots = shite
Man Stroke Woman = so-so
Hyperdrive = so-so

You can't really include Black Books as he was in it for 5 minutes, you may as well include his 'cameo' in Big Train.

Spaced and Shaun weren't his choices, they were his mate's.

He's good at playing an aimiable buffoon, I just don't think he has any range.
frostitute
Kinky Boots wasn't even a big part, I think

Still waiting for my DVD to arrive in the mail to watch it though biggrin.gif

Also, you completely forgot to mention Danger 50,000 Volts and Incoming Attack.
Raven
They're pumping everything out on DVD these days, Hyperdrive will almost certainly be released at some point, and as it has been re-commissioned Iíd guess it will be out around the time series two hits the screens.

Iím quite surprised itís been given a second chance, itís not bad but itís not good either mellow.gif
Clart
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 14 2006, 07:59 PM)
Iím quite surprised itís been given a second chance, itís not bad but itís not good either  mellow.gif

Same could be said of a considerable number of current sitcoms, BBC or otherwise. There's a new series of Two Pints... blah de blah about to start on BBC3, so the advert I wasn't quick enough to switch away from informed me last night. Then there's all the post-Ted Ardal O'Hanlon vehicles, etc., etc.. In comparison, Hyperdrive is fucking Wildean.
luvmusic
QUOTE (frostitute @ Feb 14 2006, 07:04 PM)
Also, you completely forgot to mention Danger 50,000 Volts and Incoming Attack.

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!.

I'd got those out of my mind, now I have to go to the memory replacement clinic again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.