Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nick Frost in Hyperdrive
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Raven
The MediaGuardian have reported that Spaced and Shaun of the Dead favourite Nick Frost has landed the lead role in the forthcoming BBC2 comedy Hyperdrive.

The full article is as follows:

Nick Frost, best known for playing Simon Pegg's sidekick in Spaced and Shaun of the Dead, has landed his first lead role in a TV comedy, playing a spaceship commander in new BBC2 show Hyperdrive.

Frost's character in Hyperdrive, space commander Henderson, is in charge of a 22nd century British spaceship tasked with trying to encourage aliens to relocate their businesses to Peterborough and take holidays in the Lake District.

The comedy, set in 2151, has been described by executive producer Jon Plowman as a "hilarious version of Das Boot in space".

"Hyperdrive is partly about the crew of the HMS Camden Lock trying to persuade aliens to relocate to Britain while the Americans offer Florida, and partly about a group of people being stuck together in a confined space for a long time," he said.

During their space travels, commander Henderson and his crew have to deal with anti-gravity failures, annoying talking doors and wars with aliens.

Commander Henderson is an optimistic but deluded man, who always thinks his orders are open to interpretation.

Hyperdrive, which formerly had a working title Full Power, also stars Kevin Eldon - whose credits include Nighty Night and Big Train - as first officer York, a brilliant scientist and polymath.

Other cast members include Miranda Hart as diplomatic officer Teal, who is in love with Henderson; Stephen Evans as manic-depressive navigator Vine; and Dan Antopolski as insubordinate technical officer Jeffers.

The BBC2 comedy also features Petra Massey as pilot Sandstrom, an "enhanced human", and Paterson Joseph, as the ambitious space marshal Clarke.

Hyperdrive is being filmed in Manchester and is due to go out on BBC2 next year.

The comedy has been written by Kevin Cecil and Andy Riley, who scripted the third series of Black Books. Alex Walsh-Taylor is producing, with John Henderson directing.

Thanks to Chapman Baxter for spotting this!
frostitute
How did I miss this post

Must have been groggy

Oh well

Someone told me he was in Manchester looking at handbags, his character must have one.
superfurryandy
"hilarious version of Das Boot in space"

Red Dwarf?
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Sep 15 2005, 01:13 PM)
Red Dwarf?

"The differences with Red Dwarf are in the writing, the acting style and the level of the performances," says Cecil. "It's got a different look, too; it's much more 2001."

"Also the situation is very different," says Riley. "With Red Dwarf they're answerable to no-one; they're free agents. In ours, they're very much not. They're the crew of a vessel that is part of the British Space Force and they have to follow orders. With ours, I wanted it to look like the new Battlestar Galactica, but we don't have that kind of money.

From an interview quoted here.
Jessopjessopjessop
Wow, if this works it could be really good. Science fiction and comedy are the hardest genres to do well, let alone combinaing the two....
Raven
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Sep 15 2005, 01:49 PM)
Wow, if this works it could be really good. Science fiction and comedy are the hardest genres to do well, let alone combinaing the two....

Lucas managed it with his Comedy Vader!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!

*shakes hands at sky*

wink.gif
rabbit57i
"....hilarious version of Das Boot in space".

I hate that quote. It just sounds like someone trying to hard.
Sean of the Dead
I pray this isn't gonna be another 'According To Bex'...

*shudders at the thought*
Ronin
Sounds interesting. Comedy Sci-fi is one of my favorite things. Sure, occasionally you get some really garbage from the combo, but some of my favorite things have fit into that genre.

/+11 comedy to Raven for the Vader "NOOOOOOO!!" reference. So bad.. hehe.
Zoe
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Sep 15 2005, 04:24 PM)
"....hilarious version of Das Boot in space".

I hate that quote. It just sounds like someone trying to hard.

A little too close to "with hilarious consequences"?
superfurryandy
I am in agreement with both Rabbit & Zoe - still, if it means more Kevin Eldon on our screens, it must be a good thing?
rabbit57i
Of course with Eldon in it, it has hopes of being okay. They just should refrain from using the word "hilarious". tongue.gif
Omniscia
Could be worse. Could be "Home Boys in Space" (with James Doohan!).
Ronin
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Sep 15 2005, 04:49 PM)
Could be worse. Could be "Home Boys in Space" (with James Doohan!).

I've spent nearly a decade forgetting that show existed.. and now you've brought it all back. The horror.

But you do make a excellent point.
jem
shit. i hope it eventually gets aired in north america...
Blind I/O
They'll doubtless be available for download if they're worth it.
Mrs Bisley
annoying talking doors

Hitchhiker's??

I really hope it isn't!!!!
Oisi-wan Kemansell
Sfx has a really good article on it, but I can't find my copy!

this is from the website though:

THE NEW WAVE OF BRITISH SCI-FI
The state of British fantasy telly is looking pretty damn healthy! There's SF comedy Hyperdrive
rabbit57i
Large Nick Frost Interview
Raven
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Oct 27 2005, 04:02 PM)

I think he's just big-boned wink.gif
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 27 2005, 10:40 AM)
I think he's just big-boned wink.gif

tongue.gif
frostitute
It's an old interview, around when Danger DVD was released in US, they just now posted it

It's still a good one

The writer IM'd me about a couple hours after it was put up:

IGNWriter: Is this Thomas, from Frostitution?
frostitution: That it would
IGNWriter: This is Ken Plume, writer of the Nick Frost interview over at IGN
frostitution: Oh!
frostitution: Thanks for the link
IGNWriter: No problem... Nick spoke very highly of you...
frostitution: Wow really?
IGNWriter: It was a pleasure to point people over to the site... You do good work

IGNWriter: LOL... Well, like I said, Nick pointed me towards the site, and I wanted to key people into it. It's a great resource for fans
rabbit57i
awww, we're so proud of you. happy.gif
Ohio_is_for_lovers
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Sep 15 2005, 04:49 PM)

I think we all do, hopefully it will be good.
Baz
Was just looking around for news on Hyperdrive and few online TV guides give it an air date of January 11th and 10:00pm, BBC2.

I also came across a strange short interview here with Nick.
Igmeister
QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 27 2005, 04:58 AM)
Was just looking around for news on Hyperdrive and few online TV guides give it an air date of January 11th and 10:00pm, BBC2.

Yep confirmed by the Radio Times. Very positive about it as well.
whitey
It's a dreadful idea. I hope it gains something in the execution.
frostitute
Can't wait cool.gif
sleeping_pirate
I'm looking forward to this.

*Fingers crossed it's actually decent*
Jessopjessopjessop
Did a post of mine just disappear from here or did i forget to click 'add reply'?
Baz
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 5 2006, 08:32 PM)
Did a post of mine just disappear from here or did i forget to click 'add reply'?

You posted in the Castwatch thread for Hyperdrive.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 5 2006, 08:33 PM)
You posted in the Castwatch thread for Hyperdrive.

Stupid head.
Chapman Baxter
I didn't realise the actor Kevin Eldon was in it. That 's promising. And the writers of the the third series of Black Books - well, it was the weakest of the three, but still a very superior slice of comedy.
curtinparloe
Nick is on Morning Glory tomorrow morning on C4

There's also a feature on that where you cc dermot@channel4.com on your emails, so I reckon we should be mailing each other about Hot Fuzz smile.gif
Cornetto
so hyperdrive is on tonight... lets hope is not shit mellow.gif.... according to bex
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Cornetto @ Jan 11 2006, 05:28 PM)
so hyperdrive is on tonight... lets hope is not shit  mellow.gif.... according to bex

I had no illusions that Bex would be anything other than rubbish, but I'm hoping Hyperdrive might be good for some laughs.
Jessopjessopjessop
This clashes unpleasantly with a certain island-based drama.
WiseJoeyD
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 11 2006, 04:44 PM)

Surely you followed my example and downloaded them ages back?!

Rest assured I'll forget to sit down and watch it and have to wait 24hrs to get it from UkNova.... how ironic
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (WiseJoeyD @ Jan 11 2006, 04:54 PM)
Surely you followed my example and downloaded them ages back?!

I'm still not into all that downloading stuff, although the appeal is obvious.
frostitute
You're going to be disappointed with the season finale of LOST.

Watch Hyperdrive.
danc
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 11 2006, 04:44 PM)

hmmm...that'll make me unpopular with my housemates for a while.
whitey
QUOTE (frostitute @ Jan 11 2006, 05:31 PM)
Watch Hyperdrive.

I have a nagging suspicion that Hyperdrive is going to be the bigger disappointment.
bromley001
I look forward to Hyperdrive with giddy anticipation. I've even set aside a special tape especially for the series, something I haven't done since Red Dwarf VIII finished. biggrin.gif
frostitute
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 11 2006, 01:26 PM)
I have a nagging suspicion that Hyperdrive is going to be the bigger disappointment.

Not as big as LOST's finale, I'm sure.
whitey
QUOTE (frostitute @ Jan 11 2006, 07:17 PM)
Not as big as LOST's finale, I'm sure.

I thought the last episode of lost was pretty good meself. Anyway, there's a number of lost threads for such discussion so I'll leave it at that. My point was that the Hyperdrive clip didn't just fail to raise a smile it actually annoyed me a little. Eldon and Frost notwithstanding I reckon it's going to be a bit arse.
curtinparloe
well, in 70 minutes we'll know for sure...
Jubei
or 100 minutes? Isn't it at 10?
whitey
is it tonight? why did I think friday?
curtinparloe
Ah, I keep forgetting.

I live an hour in the future.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
Prepare for take off, people.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.