Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Testing the Mettle
Spaced Out Forum > Archive > Rewind > Episode 2.3: Mettle
Chapman Baxter
For me this is a big step up from Change. Mettle contains some of my favourite Spaced moments, though I don't think it fits together quite as well episodes like Epiphanies or Gone. So it's a solid Good from me this week.

What do you reckon?
sweetbutinsane
'Twas gooooood, because it has one of my favourite lines in ("Oh yah, I hadnt fought o dat(!)") but then I still think there are better episodes.
maian
I think there are better episode but this one is excellent regardless of the others. It's got so many plot strands going, usually Spaced has maybe one or two major ones but here we have Tim and Mike vs Dexter, Daisy versus Tina and the world of work, and Brian having to come up with something great for his installation. The way in which each one is so fully formed and independent of the others, rather than being little extra bits tacked on to pad things out, is really brilliantly done, especially since I got involved with each one and was happy to see them all resolved so well. Plus there are some great lines and parodies throughout the episode. Really great episode.
benbert
I love this episode it's always one of the one's I quote the most when explaining to others what Spaced is like.
Tim Bisley
The only thing that (for me) get a bit tedious in this episode is the One Flew Over The Cucoos Nest bit. Dont get me wrong, Is funny, but not as good as the other stories lines in this episode.
shinyelvenqueen
This has to be an 'excellent' for me. Most recently we have quoted alot from this episode, it is the most entertaining as each character has to compete in their field. As compared to the rest of the series, it is the first one that brings out the outloud laughter in me. Where as the first episode had something that just didn't sit quite right, this episode helps by having a set purpose for each character (except Marsha I suppose) I may not be correct in stating, but this episode must have the longest non-speaking section in any Spaced episode and it still pulls in the comedy. That's why Spaced is number one!

Question: Who is the chap sitting next to Simon in the end scene in the pub, I swear it looks like Mark Morris from The Bluetones...Please someone put me out of my misery, it would be cool if it was him!
m0r1arty
Gets an Excellent form me as it puts the 2nd series back on track in my opinion.

If you don't agree, whine "Thats not fair" smile.gif

-m0r
Sean of the Dead
Excellent, this is where the 2nd series got into it's stride leading to the fried gold in the rest of the series.
maian
QUOTE (shinyelvenqueen @ Oct 30 2005, 08:26 PM)
Question: Who is the chap sitting next to Simon in the end scene in the pub, I swear it looks like Mark Morris from The Bluetones...Please someone put me out of my misery, it would be cool if it was him!

It is indeed him since Simon and the rest of the cast are quite good friends with them. There are a few other Bluetones sitting around the table and standing in the Robot Club crowd as well.
Gramsci
Mettle is a good episode.
The RoboCop opening had me in stitches, esp. "I like the axe"..."I like my face"..."I like your face"

And I'd give an arm and a leg for a "Neo Nachos" t-shirts. It's silly, but still one of my favorite jokes in the series.
The "One flew..." spoof is brilliant, as it seems that every temp job I've had is filled up with creative people, just waiting for their big break.
"They're all writers, Daisy"
I've met tons of people who"...was published once in '97"
Brilliant.

And Brians installation is wonderful.
"Where are you heading now?"
"Hospital"
"Ah, one of Damian's new, trendy clubs I guess"

All in all, it's a great one, but not my all time favorite. That honour goes to 1.6 Epiphanies.
shinyelvenqueen
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 30 2005, 10:49 PM)
It is indeed him since Simon and the rest of the cast are quite good friends with them. There are a few other Bluetones sitting around the table and standing in the Robot Club crowd as well.

Yeeeaay! It's the best media symbiosis come to life! I love Mark Morris, I might kidnap him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.